“Nice hotel, few issues” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Hertfordshire
“Nice hotel, few issues”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed here for a conference 2 nights, 3 days. The reception area and bars were nicely decorated and comfortable. Trying to find my room on the third floor was not easy. There is no direct access so you have to get a lift to the second floor, walk along a corridor and go up in another lift. The room itself was comfortable. It needed a bit of a spruce up, felt a bit tired but lots of things that had the guest in mind, full sized mirror, good quality hairdryer with proper lighting, bath with shower and shower attachment. Comfortable bed. Breakfast was plentiful.. Full buffet and choice of freshly cooked items. Breakfast manager was very helpful, lots of coffee top ups, very cheerful. We had two lunches and they were very tasty with good choice. The dinner on the first night was a bit hit and miss, we had Barnsely chop which was very fatty and had a big bone in the middle. Second night was better and the service was very good. The only big issue with this hotel is the bar prices. £7 for a glass (small) of wine and £7 for a G & T. Bit pricey if you are buying a round. The golf course looked amazing but unfortunately didnt have the chance to try it. In general, the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Charliesaunt68
Rachel R, Director of Sales at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Charliesaunt68

Thank you for taking the time to review Oulton Hall. I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay and we appreciate your feedback. I understand your comments about reaching rooms on the third floor, but I do hope concierge offered to help you to your room? With 152 rooms but only 2/3 floors we are a bit spread out so many apologies.
We are partly through a refurbishment and I do hope you will come back and see us once the corridors and final rooms have been done so you can enjoy the finished article and perhaps we can get you out on the golf course.

kind regards
RachelR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Spent the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay, would highly recommend. Lovely bar area to relax and chill. Excellent service in their restaurant Saturday evening, would absolutely stay again. Didn't use the spa or gym, however facilities looked amazing.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rachel R, Director of Sales at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Andrew W

So glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I do hope you will be back with us soon.

Kind regards
RachelR
leeds
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I'm sorry to say that myself and 3 friends visited this hotel for my40th birthday. We were on the look out for something a bit special without having to go far so were very attracted by the hotel's first impressions.
The building is impressive from the outside and the public areas are grand and lavishly decorated. When we got in to our room, however, all the grandeur was far behind us! It was disgustingly filthy, I don't mean to sound dramatic but it literally was, the food was not good neither to say the least, we had the option of a 3 course menu or so we thought 2 of us did but 2 of us had only 2 courses but this was never explained on check in or when presented with the menu, after order all 3 courses and 1 of us being told we could order steak from the main menu and pay a supplement this is not true. After receiving the bill and being totally confused to what we were being charged for the duty manager was the most rudest person I have every had the displeasure of meeting and I am still so upset just how badly we
were treated and spoken to by him we just paid the bill and left as we were left feeling totally embarrassed by him and looked at by other guests. After getting up at 5.20 the following morning still upset about the experience received I complained to a lovely gentleman who actually had manners logged our complaint and said our concerns raised will be passed to the manager due in on duty, after speaking with this gentleman I felt less upset. After going for breakfast and seeing the same duty manager from the previous evening this was very uncomfortable, the gentleman can in who we had made the complaint to and handed it to the rudest manager every !!!! after obviously reading our comments the word JOKE was used clearly for us to here which was the most uncomfortable situation I have been in,so we left our breakfast and left the restaurant and the rudest manager even ignored us leaving and no acknowledgement was given. We then decided to confront the rudest duty manager about our concerns raised who explained the JOKE comment was not directed at us but obviously was as we were ignored on leaving I asked why we were ignored he explained we didn't acknowledge him so he didn't acknowledge us .... we were getting no where obviously doesn't accept feedback I would suggest that you change career or go on a course HOW TO TREAT CUSTOMERS!!!! we decided to check out at 8 am and just wanted to leave as my birthday was ruined now any way. I handed the key card to the receptionist who totally ignored me so I politely asked you need me to sign anything ? her reply was that's fine..... No GOODBYE OR ENJOY YOUR TRIP HOME OR DAY. We almost felt like they'd robbed us! In fact, even writing this review I am so upset mad at just how we have been treated and paid for the experience!
NEVER AGAIN!! AVOID !!
I would suggest if you have a company and you want to train your staff on how NOT to treat customers then go!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank 1dlw
Rachel R, Director of Sales at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear 1dlw

I was sorry to read you review and I understand you are in contact with the management team who will be investigating your feedback.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my two night / three day conference at Oulton Hall. The rooms were warm and comfortable with everything I needed including an iron and an electronic safe. There were two shower heads in my bathroom which was a luxury. The breakfast and lunch buffets were plentiful and of good quality. I would say the food and drink prices are quite high but reflective of the quality of the venue overall. The free wifi was very useful and fast.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear David L

Many thanks for your review of Oulton Hall. I am delighted you had a good saty with us and I hope you will be back soon, maybe for leisure next time.
LEEDS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed again on a dbb and spa treatment package and this was cheaper than the ordinary rate for dbb.
Ian as usual was lovely and welcoming as were all the staff i came across.
When i read the other reviews i am quite confused and think they must be staying somewhere else.
I never feel uncomfortable being by myself as everyone treats me really well.
Top marks again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear LeedsJulie

Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay and spa at Oulton Hall. We are very fortunate to have great staff like Ian and I am delighted to hear you are well looked after. We look forward to seeing you back soon.
Kind regards RachelR
united kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

The room we were given had been recently refurbished, the view my husband asked for was lovely, (we watched a beautiful bride being photographed by the fountain), lovely birthday card and wine in room, this is the second Devere hotel we've stayed in and I think we may stay in lots more! Food was great, poached eggs asked for and delivered perfectly.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished worth it!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear elsgly

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay for your birthday celebration. We are delighted you enjoyed the refurbishment and hope you will be back soon.
Kind regards Rachel
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We got married here in September this year. The place itself is absolutely stunning with amazing views for photo opportunities. The staff will go above and beyond to make you as relaxed as possible. One member in particular, Wes, was unbelievable on our big day. He ensured that nothing was to bother us and even downloaded our first dance when our DJ let us down with it. He checked on us several times before the service to make sure we were calm and ready. He changed things around when certain people came to the wedding breakfast that weren't invited without any problem or complaints. His attention to detail was nothing short of perfect. Another member of staff, Frances, organised the run up to the wedding. She was so friendly and kept us updated on everything. She even found numbers for companies (of which we had shown an interest in) and emailed them. She kept me from being a Bridezilla! The concierge, on the day, even took a friend to buy some antacids because the hotel couldn't give them out and he didn't want my guest's night ruined. The staff truly are amazing.
The packages are quite pricey but the food is absolutely delicious and the presentation was beautiful. Our main problem was the drink prices. A lot of our guests could afford no more than a few drinks, for example a small Moet that you can buy in a supermarket for under £40 was sold at £64! The cheapest bottle of wine was £26.
The room I stayed in, the night before the wedding, was very small and extremely warm. Bearing in mind that we were to get ready in this room, we had to ask for an alternative. Luckily, Wes sorted it so that we could get our hairs and make-up done in a conference room. It was a pain, however, getting my dress on and waiting around back in my hotel room (the conference room was next to the room we were to be married in) my hair lost its volume and my make-up felt like it was melting. I didn't feel like the relaxed and chilled bride I would have like to. Instead I felt hot, flustered and a bit of a mess.
The complimentary wedding suite was beautiful. It is the biggest room we have ever seen. Perfect for your first night as man and wife.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Lizzibean

Congratulations on your wedding and thank you for taking the time to write your review on trip advisor. It was a pleasure to read your kind comments about Wes and Fran. We are very fortunate to have such great staff and I am pleased they looked after you so well. I am sorry resorted to getting ready in a conference room, far from ideal and i hope it didn’t detract from your special day. It sounds like the bridal suite is a must for brides getting ready for the day and Fran will look into this as a policy moving forward.
I do hope we will see you back for your first anniversary when the Moet will be on us.
kind regards RachelR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,047 reviews
Waterton Park Hotel
Waterton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walton

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!