“Lovely Hotel and Spa but Terrible WiFi”
Review of Oulton Hall & Spa

Oulton Hall & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Had a lovely day in the hotel and spa but when I wanted to do some work I really struggled to get a strong signal and in the spa / cafe itself it was almost non existent. Genuinely beautiful grounds though and the staff were very helpful - so I'd still be more than happy to recommend. The food is worth the prices but this wouldn't be my first choice if I was going on business.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Rachel R, Director of Sales at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear 59Alison

Many thnaks for your review and as highlighted we had upgraded our wifi that weekend prior to your stay and were experiencing some teething issues. I am happy to say all the issues have now been resolved and the WIFI upgrade is noew working well.

Kind Regards
RachelR

Write a ReviewReviews (2,711)

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I have just returned from a one night stay at Oulton Hall. My sister and I booked this Spa Package as Birthday Treat for our Mum. We booked the 1 night bed and breakfast package which included a 60 minute spa treatment and full use of all leisure facilities. After reading some disappointing trip advisor reviews we were slightly concerned. However, I am pleased to say that our stay from beginning to end was most enjoyable! We were greeted on the steps of the hotel by a very pleasant concierge, who carried our luggage into the beautiful reception area. Although we arrived early we were told our rooms were ready, the receptionist swiftly checked us in and we were then taken to our rooms.We then had lunch in the Champagne Bar, which is again lovely, a bit pricey but what we had was very nice. The Spa treatments were excellent, in a lovely environment.However, when children came into the pool area the relaxing atmosphere was slightly spoilt, not really a suitable place for children.We had a 3 course meal in the Calvary Grill which we thoroughly enjoyed. Restaurant very comfortable and stylish and the service was of a high standard. The rooms were slightly dated, however, the beds were large and comfortable and rooms had all the facilities you would require, also we found them very clean. One slight niggle would be the prices in the bar, very expensive. Overall we would thoroughly recommend this hotel and we will certainly be returning.

Sent from my iPad

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Sophie W

Thank you so much for your very kind review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oulton Hall very soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Really lovely building and a grand entrance. We stayed as part of a wedding and the whole place is just gorgeous. The rooms are quaint and clean. Staff are friendly, a little slow at breakfast but the selection is the best I've ever seen at a hotel - loads to choose from and there's a menu to order from (apart from we struggled to flag someone down both mornings to order from it).
We went to the spa upon arrival which is very nice - had a private room with a jaccuzzi, just what you need before a wedding!
The only downside really was the meal in the Claret Jug but I'll save the details for the restaurant review.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear The_Ferball

Many thanks for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel and facilities. Despite being here for a wedding I do hope we can expect you back soon.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We've just returned from a very pleasant nights stay. I emailed the hotel prior to going asking for a nice room as reading up on here, it seems that they can be hit and miss and as we were celebrating our 1st Wedding Anniversary we didn't want to leave things to chance,
We got a prompt reply back saying that they would upgrade us to one of the refurbished rooms and had taken note that it was a special occasion.
We were checked in by a very pleasant girl called Gina who allocated us room 130. I asked her what time check out was and she told be it was 11am but immediately said she could extend it until 12pm which was great as we'd planned to use the spa the next day and this would allow us more time,
The room was of a decent size with a free safe and mini fridge which came in handy. It was tastefully furnished and the bed was really comfy too.
We were pleasantly surprised that the hotel management had left a card wishing us a Happy Anniversary and a pleasant stay.
We'd booked the hotel on a package deal at a cost of £119.09 whereby you get a bottle of wine in your room, a 2 course evening meal either from the set menu or £21.00 each towards the al a carte menu (more about that later) and breakfast. The wine arrived shortly after we arrived at the room but I'd pre ordered white and they brought red, I pointed this out and they quickly rectified it. the wine wasn't that nice to be honest but I drank it all the same,
We went down for dinner at 7.30pm and were promptly seated. Unlike another reviewer on here, although we'd booked "A deal" we were not treated like second hand citizens, the menu was explained to us and we were left to decide what we wanted. We ordered 2 bottles of lager but we weren't shown a drinks menu, only a wine list so didn't have a clue how much it was going to cost..
The waiter also brought us a complementary glass of champagne each which was a nice touch.
I ordered from the set menu but my husband who's a plain eater ordered the sirloin steak from the main menu which he enjoyed but thought was expensive for what he got. We also paid extra for a dessert which was lovely but the portion size was tiny.
There is a discretionary 10% service charge added to your bill which we didn't mind as the service was excellent. We had an allowance of £42.00 and the total bill was £68.00 so we had £26.00 extra to pay. The drinks were a whopping £9.10 for 2x small bottles of beer/lager! But hey it was a special treat.
We went over to The Claret Jug bar for another drink which was more reasonably priced than the restaurant, we only had the one as we were sat by the fire, it was so cozy, it made me sleepy so we retired for the night.

The breakfast this morning was excellent, I couldn't fault it. Everything was laid out really well and the cooked buffet style breakfast was very fresh and hot. You can also order from a menu where they offer poached eggs on granary toast, boiled eggs and soldiers, eggs bennidict , kippers, smoked haddock and a few more that I've forgotten.
We let our breakfast settle then went to the spa where we enjoyed a swim, use of the jaccuzi, steam room and sauna. Point to note is that the lockers have a 4 diget code so no need for coins like in some hotels.
All in all a very pleasant stay, we'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a refurbished room on the 1st floor which us near the spa.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Naburn

I was delighted to read of you recent stay and your very kind feedback. I do hope you will be back to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

After reading the pessimistic reviews, my husband and I were apprehensive about our wedding anniversary stay at Oulton Hall. This view was squashed from the moment we arrived to the moment we begrudgingly departed!! We arrived half an hour early but our room had already been prepared so we were permitted to check in early to our double deluxe room. The room was spotless and set out beautifully. We had a lovely card and box of chocolates set out for us as the hotel knew it was our anniversary. The bathroom was quite small and dated but we did not let this impair our view of what was important to us. We unpacked and went to use the spa and gym facilities. The changing rooms and showers were very clean. The pool and jacuzzi were set to perfect temperatures and the steam room and sauna were spacious and also to a high standard of hygiene. The gym had modern, high standard equipment but not quiet enough weight for my husband. However, this did not put us off. We then had a massage each and the spa therapists were lovely and very professional at all times. After our treatments, we had our evening meal in the romantically set out carvelry grill where we were served by an extremely pleasant and professional young man named Jonah. His pronounciations and knowladge of the wines were perfect. After what can only be described as the best meal and service we have ever had (we both had the lobster starter and sirloin main), we attended the champagne bar where the service and recommendations were also impeccable. Yes the prices were expensive but after the day from heaven it was the last thing on our minds. We are already clearing our diaries to ensure we return to this faboulous hotel. Thank you for an amazing experience and making our stay so special. Kind regards, Mr & Mrs Stansfield.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Hannahstansfield

Dear Hannahstansfield

I was so please to read your recent review of Oulton Hall and delighted that you had a great stay. I hope you will be back with us soon.

kind regards

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Excellent decor and service .

Calm and beautifully decorated with green surronding rejuvinating you.

The surroundings are Picturesque and memorable.

The rooms are quite spacious and antique style ..

Food is good and you have lot of options to choose from

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Dear Debasish81

Many thanks for your kind comments regardding your stay at Oulton Hall Hotel

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Booked this as a birthday treat for my husband but was more trick than treat. This was a de vere break offer one night with two course dinner for 139 pounds. I wasn't expecting the best room or view but the rate we paid was reasonable so I overlooked the dark room with a view of the wall. However dinner left me feeling a third class citizen that evening. When we tried to book in for dinner after we checked in we were told the restaurant was fully booked and they could not give us a table until 9.15. At 9pm we thought we would see if our table was ready as we had seen people leaving the restaurant however my husband was told there was no table. At 9.15 we tried again still no table and we were told if we sat outside the restaurant they would let us know. During this time various groups of people left the restaurant. At 9.40 I approached the restaurant again and gave my name to the person at the desk he looked at the sheet and said he couldn't see our booking. The manager then appeared and said he found us a table. The manager then gave us a glass of champagne each as an appology however i asked him why we had been told there were no available tables when there were plenty of empty tables. (which had been totally cleared) he said he had misjudged the table booking. We started eating our dinner at 10.05 which is 20 mins after the restaurant stops serving, the atmosphere was decidedly flat by this time. The dinner at the hotel was supposed to be the high point of our stay but left us very unhappy and we had the feeling we had been ignored and treated like third class customers on a cheap deal. I read a previous posting on this site and totally agree with them. Its the restaurant area staff we had issues with when we actually ate the food it was good but I was too upset and it was too late to enjoy it. Interestingly when we checked out no one asked us about our stay. We have stayed at a few de veres over the years but I wouldn't be in a hurry to come back to this one and be made to feel so ignored..

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank daisy120

Dear daisy120

I am so sorry to read about your recent experiences and whilst a high volume of restaurant guests can be expected over a busy weekend it is for us to control the bookings and should not negatively impact you in the way you describe.

I do hope you will return to give us another chance to show you we do value you your custom. If you are planning to return please do contact me directly that I might endeavour to make amends for your previous poor experience.
kind regards
RachelR

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Rudding Park Hotel
Rudding Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Follifoot
Hotel ibis budget Leeds Centre

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!