“Pride of Yorkshire”
Review of Oulton Hall & Spa

Oulton Hall & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Have had the pleasure of staying at Oulton Hall many times over the past 19 years , (opened 20 years ago), So you would expect me to be satisfied with this hotel. and well yes I am . The reason for my visits are purly to relax and enjoy. I stay with an elderly relative who sadly is wheelchair bound these days . Have to say that for us what makes our stays so enjoyable are not just the Grandeur and Elegant Surroundings of the Hall , nor the Wonderful Grounds which are located off the main road, nor the impressive SPA which is a pleasure to visit, not even the wonderful breakfast offering that is available. It is the friendly and courteous staff that we appreciate. Oulton Hall is much more than a hotel, it is an experience. It is I would say important when making your reservation to make the right choice from the bedroom options. The hotel is undertaking refurbishments of the rooms which started last year. So if you prefer an above average bedroom i would suggest choosing one of the new Luxurious Chambre Unique rooms with many additional features to the standard de vere rooms. There are larger Deluxe rooms at a supplement over the standard rooms which fall between the 2 categories, So make the right choice for yourself . Afternoon Tea at Oulton Hall is a Special occasion , Enjoy in the Luxurious Grandeur of the Drawing room, Library, or the Grand Hall itself. Old fashioned traditional values and service by the wonderful Butlers and staff will make any occasion a special and memorable one. If you are looking for a few days to escape from the rigers of life in quiet , relaxed , elegant settings then I would whole heartedly recommend Oulton Hall, The hotel is located within a 15 min drive of the great city of Leeds and many other of Yorkshire attractions . I forgot to mention in addition to the room choices I mentioned are the Amazing Suites that are available in the Main Hall for that extra special occasion with views over the golf couse and gardens. You'll not want to leave.

Room Tip: Decide which of the categories best suit yours needs, standard , deluxe, chambre unique, or splash o...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights last summer but only just got round to leaving a review now. Fantastic hotel and spa, great for a romantic break. Can't comment on price or value for money as I didn't pay. Would recommend making full use of the spa facilities and the champagne bar!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I decided to take my husband to Oulton Hall for his birthday. I booked over the phone for a special package which included a spa treatment each and dinner. I got talked into upgrading to a deluxe room for an extra £40, he really sold it on the phone, beautiful room, extra fluffy towels and robes etc so we were really looking forward to it. The spa treatment was earlier than check in so we went there first, we had both booked a half hour back massage, we didn't get robes to get changed into and the massage only lasted 15 minutes - disappointment number 1. We went to check in to this wonderful room that really wasn't! It was quite big but nothing special. The bathroom was tiny with a very old bath and a filthy shower head that I decided I wasn't going to stand under.! The towels and robes were not any where near fluffy. Disappointment number 2. However I went down to reception and expressed my concerns and the receptionist couldn't have been nicer, she was really understanding and immediately got me moved to a much better room and gave me 3 to choose from. The dinner was nice and the staff were very attentive and we had a good evening. The level of cleanliness is not the best, the trouser press was really dusty as if it gets missed. Although we did have a nice time in the end I don't think I would go again.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Visited for our taster menu before our wedding in March, all organised by Louise the wedding planner, who has been great.
We decided to book a room for the night and make it an event :)
Had a great time. The food and drink was delicious and the room was really lovely.
On top of all this the staff were excellent, very friendly and accommodating.
So looking forward to the big day.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marc W
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I would just like to say thank you to the staff more specifically Rashid. The Sunday lunch was an absolute treat, we had an enjoyable day the staff made us feel comfortable and they were attentive to our needs made us feel just like home as me and my partner don’t really get out to fancy places much. Will definitely be making an effort to going again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Reading the previous post I wonder if this is the same hotel we stayed in last weekend? Our 'delux' room didn't have any view. Dark dim - the worst. Couldn't see to get dressed. Totally inadequate lighting. Bathroom antique. Tiling we used to have in the late 70's. Old cast iron bath and not even a mixer tap. Needs refurbishing. Was told this room was refurbished 4 yrs ago! If this is delux with tatty stained carpet, single old wardrobe, no suitcase stand etc, then I dread to think what an ordinary room would be like. Booked this with Devere themselves on a winter package, first night including dinner.
Dinner well - 3 choices on the package. Pork, chicken and cod! Paid £5 extra for a few sprigs of broccoli and £5 for a few chips. Cod & chips at fish shop would be much more appealing. Very dry chicken, no sauces or gravy.

Lovely pub nearby in walking distance - The Three Horseshoes. Had T.Bone and lamb shank on our second night, including veg and all the trimmings. Excellent cheap food here. Oh and they have a puffing shed complete with heater! Toby carvery just up the road.

Smokers beware .... Long walk from the rooms to reception at front of house. Don't stand too close to doorways. I had an argument with a member of staff and was abruptly told to move 2 lampposts away from the door of the spa in the pouring rain and I was outside. Spent a fortune on spa treatments but what the heck, this is how they treat you. I did feel uneasy outside in the dark having a rare smoke, as there are rat poison boxes everywhere. Outer doors tend to be locked at 10pm, the spa at 9pm. Main reception always open. Do a Marriot, much better and they provide smoking rooms.
Won't be back. Worst 4* room I have ever stayed in. Premier Inn much more modern. And to cap it all, they hit us with a service charge - God knows for what.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Devere Slaley Hall if you must do your golfing up north.
2  Thank leckco
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Visited as part of an online promotion. Hotel used to be an old statley home and has been restored by De vere . Lovely grounds and leisure facilities are available to guests , with spa treatments available at extra cost. One word of warning, food is good, but be prepared to pay top whack for wine , coffee etc.
Nearby temple newsum hall worth a visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels
The Queens - Leeds
The Queens - Leeds
#13 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!