“Lacking TLC”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lacking TLC”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Whilst acknowledging this is a plush hotel the service seems a little lacking. My television displayed a "no signal" sign and whilst initially sorted by a staff member, on returning to my room later in the day the night porter could not get it up and running. Having flagged up my dissatisfaction this was not addressed when checking out the following morning (staff member did not seem interested) nor did I receive an acknowledgement when I subsequently sent an email highlighting my frustration to the manager?

That aside the room was decorated to a high standard, the bed was very comfy and the shower was really good. Breakfast was to a high standard as were the restaurant staff.

On a final point I was disappointed to find that the taxi driver (booed via hotel reception) did not know nearby Wakefield and on arrival at my destination could not provide me with a receipt. Why use this company?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Sunderland
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Have always been curious about this place and heard good reports so booked a special offer from the hotel as a belated special birthday celebration with my friend. The deal included bed, breakfast and dinner with a bottle of wine in the room. I booked a twin room. A week before going I was emailed and offered an upgrade to a better room for £13 extra which I booked asking for a twin room. The hotel is a two minute drive from a rail station( with free parking)which means an easy journey into the centre of Leeds and there is a lovely canal walk close by. The building is impressive and the reception staff were lovely. I asked them to confirm that we were in a twin room and I had asked for a bottle of Proscecco as our complimentary bottle of wine. When we went up to the room it was a double with no wine! We rang reception and the room next door to ours was made up for us as a twin. We had to also ask for our wine. Not a promising start. The bedding and decor were very nice but there was a disgusting stain on the carpet beside the bathroom door. The mind boggles! The bathroom fittings were slightly dated and there were chips in the enamel around the bath. Complimentary bathrobes and slippers and nice toiletries were welcome, as was the coffee making machine. The leisure centre was very busy and there were hardly any loungers and the chlorine in the jacuzzi was really strong. We ate in the Calvary Grill and were limited to a set menu, ( not made clear at the time of booking). We did not order alcoholic drinks as they were expensive and were constantly badgered by waiters to do so. We felt very unwelcome. The food portions were very small and nothing to write home about. Drinks in the lounge bar were expensive and the place lacked atmosphere. Breakfast on the other hand was fabulous- an amazing spread and something for everyone. The staff were lovely too. When we checked out we had been charged £13 as a supplement because we had Proscecco in our room and not house wine,which we had to ask for anyway. So a bit of a mixed bag! I have sent my comments to the hotel and have had a reply saying they would be passed on. Lovely reception staff, lovely setting but could do better in other areas.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Doncaster
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Booked myself in for a spa day, everything was perfect from the time of booking to when I left. Indulged in 4 treatments and each treatment was exceptional and what made it special is that I had the same therapist throughout the day who was polite, professional and delivered each treatment perfectly. I can highly recommend the signature rain shower which is pure bliss and so unique.
I finished my day off with afternoon tea in the drawing room, the selection of cakes was brilliant and really showed off the great food Yorkshire has to offer. The cherry & rhubarb scones melted in my mouth.
Nothing was too much trouble, all the staff go above and beyond and I left feeling like royalty with a huge smile on my face. I have now made this my "local" spa (60 mile round trip but worth it) and will be booking in monthly and without a doubt will be celebrating my upcoming 30th birthday here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank toritoad
Claire S, Front Office Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
I am pleased to read you have made us your local! Thank you for your review I have passed your kind comments onto the spa and Drawing room. We do hope to see you again for some more royal treatments.

Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed here on our return visit for our Wedding anniversary.

We were married at Oulton Hall in 2010 and had our wedding reception here too.

We live in Leeds so the hotel is a short distance for us to get to. Its also in a great location if you are looking for relaxation yet with easy access to Leeds City Centre. Leeds is approx. 6 miles.

Firstly our return visit brought all the lovely memories of our special day back to us. I
t was just how I remembered it.

The luxury feel when you are arrive along with a sense of relaxation all came flooding back.

For our recent visit we booked a DBB deal and stayed in one of the newer rooms, Chambre Unique.
The room was decorated in a classic, contemporary feel with a great feeling of luxury.
The bed was huge and extremely comfortable.
The provision of a coffee machine, complimentary Wi-Fi and Bose sound station all complemented the room.

The bathroom is small yet stylish. It's not really a bathroom or bath to share!

We dined in the Calverley Grill which was lovely. The booking deal allowed us £21 a head towards the A La Carte menu or the Fixe Prix Menu. There was plenty to choose from on the menus and also an extensive wine list. The service is excellent and the only thing I would have preferred is for the service to have been a little slower although I understand a busy restaurant has to be run smoothly.

Breakfast in the morning was excellent with the majority being self-service. There was everything available from Fresh Juice, Fresh Fruit, Yoghurts, Full English quality ingredients, fresh toast served at the table and on request Grilled Kippers, poached eggs and more!

The Bar within the hotel is located next to the terrace. Lovely to sit out and admire the garden, golf course.

There is also a relaxing lounge area where you can have afternoon tea.

In addition to our recent stay I would also like to add details of our Wedding here in 2010.
The Wedding planner at the time really made us feel that everything is under control and I knew I had nothing to worry about. Even on the morning of our wedding when we had to re jig the seating plan it was all under control.
This is a huge relief for any Bride or Groom, you really don't want to have the stress of table settings etc.
Oulton hall was the perfect venue for us, the bar area is located next to the Repton Lounge where the ceremony took place allowing our guests to enjoy the Bar and terrace prior to the wedding. Once the ceremony had finished we move into the joining room and onto the terrace for drinks and canapés and for photographs prior to the wedding breakfast. Again this was all spot on. Oulton Hall certainly offers some fantastic photo opportunities and if the weather is really bad on your big day the décor within the hotel is a perfect background if you are unable to be outside.

We had our evening Reception in the Claret Jug which again was fabulous and the evening reception food was very good.

The Suites available are fabulous. I stayed in the Bridal suites the night before our wedding and felt like a princess. The suites are large and luxurious. I almost needed a ladder to get into bed!

I would not hesitate in recommending Oulton Hall as the perfect Wedding venue. It really made for a very special day.

Room Tip: The Chambre Unique rooms are more up to date than the Yorkshire rooms. The Suites are also fabulous...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 729MrsC
Firstly congratulations on your first wedding anniversary. I was please to read your kind comment regarding your wedding and your recent visit with us.

We hope to see you again for your second anniversary.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Was given the stay by my daughter which included two rounds of golf so not sure of the cost. Golf was great, very helpful in the golf shop. Very helpful in reception, got a half price upgrade.
Drinks very expensive, but hey ho it was a free stay.
Room was really nice (109). Wifi , sky, the lot.
Meal was fantastic, again included in the price so just drinks to pay for.....another mortgage!!
Few things to watch out for, on the meal bill for the drinks there was a 10 percent service charge and a space at the bottom to at a gratuity....thought they were both the same.
On paying the bill next morning had been charged 70 pence for a 60 pence paper that I thought was included in the room cost. A little thing I know but....
Would I go back, yes it was a nice bit of luxury, might even save up £300 for a bottle of pink champagne...just joking, will save up for a pint of beer.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Claire S, Front Office Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your upgrade to our Chambre Unique rooms. Hopefully your daughter will spoil you with another return visit.

Kind regards.

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

A very welcome Christmas gift experience from our children, we finally managed to get to Oulton Hall one Friday afternoon to enjoy the Afternoon Tea, which is served in the splendid Drawing Room looking out over the golf course.

The staff were excellent and very attentive, the food was lovely - a very nice Yorkshire touch was the rhubarb scones, given that we were in the heart of Yorkshire's famous Rhubarb Triangle! We had a very relaxing time, and enjoyed it so much that on the way out we had a look at the menu for the Calverley Grill and vowed to make a return visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adrian R

I am glad to hear you enjoyed a touch of Yorkshire, hopefully we can welcome you back before Christmas.

Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights for a friends wedding and had our 2yr old and 4 month old boys with us. Rooms and venue were all good. What stood out was the excellent staff, through the random to'ings and fro'ings that come with young children we came across numerous helpful restaurant, door and cleaning staff. In the end after all it is the people that create the great service.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Claire S, Front Office Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for your kind review.

I am delighted to read the staff made the experience for you and the children here at Oulton Hall.

We do hope you will have the opportunity to visit us for another occasion.

Kind Regards

Claire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Waterton Park Hotel
Waterton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walton
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!