“Very pleasant overnight stay”
Review of Oulton Hall & Spa

Oulton Hall & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant overnight stay”
Reviewed 3 March 2010

Stayed at Oulton Hall midweek. The Hotel is situated about 10 miles from Leeds City Centre. It is a very attractive building with golf and spa facilities which we did not use. We did not realise it was a 5star hotel but would have thought a 4 star.

Our room was a standard room and was an ideal size with all facilities. The furniture perhaps was a little tired but everything was immaculately clean. Our room was quite a long walk from reception involving two lifts. Our bed was really comfortable but our sleep was disturbed by a noise which sounded like airconditioning or a fan - we couldnt locate where it was coming from.

The breakfast is excellent with lots of choice. The food was fresh and nicely presented - cereals, fruit, yoghurts, pastries etc.etc. and the cooked breakfast was very well cooked. We could not fault this at all. In fact breakfast was better than the De Vere Hotel nr. Grantham.

The Hotel feels very spacious and there are bars and restaurants to sit and relax. We had very pleasant drinks in the champagne bar but cannot comment on lunch or evening meal as we did not eat here apart from breakfast. The drinks and food, however, are very pricey. We found all staff to be extremely friendly and efficient.

We parked our car in front of the hotel and didnt experience any problems. The car park was very well lit.

We would certainly return to this Hotel as we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 13 February 2010

I visited Oulton Hall for the second time at Christmas and enjoyed a special three-night stay package. The package included all entertainment (Quizes, treasure-hunts, dinner-dance, etc.) and full board. This proved to be amazing value and was less than I had paid here for a similar stay three years ago.

The public rooms of the hotel had been re-furbished and were very impressive. The bedroom was exactly as we remembered it from last time - comfortable with nothing to give me any concerns. The food was excellent and so was the service, although the service at the dinner-dance was a little slow. This was understandable, however, given the number of guests. The live music was of a very high standard.

The Manager was on hand to ensure everything went well and I would have no hesitation in returning to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2010

I am totaly shocked to read some of the negative comments about this hotel.I spent 2 nights there in summer last year as a relaxation treat for myself and my wife .
The hotel is extremely impressive ( and yes in places it is showing signs of ageing- main stair carpets worn),but this adds to the character.
We ate at both the Calverly Grill and the Claret jug during our stay and found the food to be of a very good standard with great service ( yes the staff were young -but what is the problem there? as they were a great advert for young people of today).
One big tip is to splash out on the Afternoon tea in the drawing room-well worth it for the feeling of decadence .It was served in lovely surroundings by the resident Butler.
As i write this i have just booked an overnight package-great value !!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Reviewed 11 February 2010

not quite outstanding for yorkshires only 5* hotel but overall a good standard, we have staid in a normal room which was nice and a suite in the old part of the house - this was excellent apart from no one being able to get the flat screen TV to work. the breakfast selection is good and the lesuire facilities also good. Id definately reccommend it but you wont be blown away

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Selsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Oulton Hall has had a reputation for excellent service being Yorkshire's first 5 star hotel. However, my recent visit has caused me to challenge this. My booking was made through the DeVere website where some special offers were being made. I think it said "one night B&B for £99 for two people". The reality was twice that price. However, it was my wife's birthday so I upgraded the room to a Deluxe double on a DB&B basis as £259. On the website I also told them to contract me regarding the evening meal. On arrival the room was available at 3.00 pm as stated but no attempt was made to book a table for dinner despite the fact I was on a Dinner tariff. As I was leaving reception I asked if I needed to book dinner and was told yes I had to, but there was little available left. Given I was on a Dinner tariff and I'd asked the hotel to contact me (they didn't bother) I was somewhat upset. In the end they did manage to fit us into the Calverley Grill at 7:00pm. Still, not what I would expect from a 5 star hotel.
When we arrived in the room we were a little disappointed due to the missing items from the stated deal. Apparently, Deluxe rooms are larger and have a fruit bowl, a decanter of port and "glossy magazines" which are part of the standard double room deal. Well, none of these were present when we entered the room. I called reception who said the deal had changed and they now offer a bottle of baileys and a packet of crisps instead. I explained to them I preferred the deal I had signed up with and they said they would arrange for the said items to be brought to our room. 20 minutes later a young man arrived with a bowl of fruit salad. I explained to him a fruit bowl was not a bowl of chopped fruit to which his response was "I only work in the kitchen - you'll have to ring reception again". Second call to reception did the trick and we did get our fruit bowl and a decanter of port. I say decanter, but it is the smallest decanter I've ever seen and just managed to produce two small glasses of port. Alas, we never received our glossy magazines. Maybe they have cancelled all the subscription when they changed the deal. I checked the website and it is still advertising the old deal.
Sorry if you feel I'm being picky here but this is supposed to be a 5 star hotel and things like this shouldn't happen in such establishments.
Our evening meal can only be described as okay. The menu was very limited and the staff sociable but far too quick with the meal. For example, my wife was still eating her side bread when the waiter came and took away our side plates. We had to call him back. The breakfast was buffet style which is fine for cold items such as serials and bread but it did mean the hot food was only tepid. If you want marmalade or jam, make sure you mention it when they ask you about your coffee, otherwise you will end up with cold toast and jam.
The room itself was comfortable. Bed was okay and the lighting system very good. The TV was an old fashioned box with very few channels (10 I think) but it did have a DVD player (which wasn't much use as they hadn't told us before hand). The bathroom was large but strangely enough it had a small bath that took 20 minutes to fill. Also the shower was cold and took 15 minutes to become warm enough to use.
So, overall not a particularly good experience. Don't get me wrong the stay was very comfortable, but not 5 star and certainly not worth the total bill of £370.
On a far more positive side, my wife did have a spa treatment which was excellent. Therefore, although the hotel let the side down the leisure centre may be great.
One last point is the internet. I was hoping to watch a copy of a programme on the BBC I-Player whilst my wife was in the Spa. Unfortunately, the free internet was far too slow to show any video streaming. Apparantly the speed was only 500k which is fine for viewing static websites but not much else.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Went to Oulton Hall for afternoon tea with my mother-in-law while husband and father-in-law watched Leeds play at Ellend Road (only 15 mins away) followed by an overnight stay for all 4 of us. The front of house is magnificent and the afternoon tea was wonderful, with great service (make sure to book afternoon tea on a Saturday). Unfortunately, bar food is not normally available after 6 at the weekend but, after we asked whether room service could be delivered to the lounge, we were served lovely club sandwiches. The bedrooms are really quite tired but not bad value at £99 inc breakfast. If you are staying overnight, do ask if your room is anywhere near their function suite as we were all kept awake until 1.00 am by a very noisy disco - the manager was apologetic and took some money off the bill but it really did spoil our stay.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2010

Good accomodation, services and food. Excellent atmosphere. I wish I could be back someday and spend some time on their golf course.

Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Waterton Park Hotel
Waterton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walton
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!