After staying at Oulton about a year ago I thought I'd treat my partner to a night away and where better that what I thought was still the 5 star Oulton. In fact it is now only 4 star and looking at the bedrooms could soon be 3 star if some money isn't spent soon. In fact event the service seems to have deteriated substantially and even a good morning seemed to be to much trouble for some members of staff. On arrival we struggled to get a parking space due to wedding guests taking up most spots with cars just parked everywhere. The welcome at the front door and assistance with baggage was no longer visible and the check in process was wasshort and sweet. No mention of would you like a newspaper in the morning sir or a table reservation for this evening sir!! In fact these are the questions I had to ask upon check in. Anyway we are given our room key and made our own way to the third floor where we'd been given a room. The main public areas were bright and some money looked to have been spent since my last visit especially on the restaurant. However on entering the lift I thought I was going back in time especially when we exited onto a dark corridor offering no warmth or comfort. We found our room easy enough but the decor was a mix of decades and styles which just made for a mess. The bathroom was dated and the nets at the windows looked to have been there for years. Knobs were missing off the tv cabinet and loose connections on the lights meant you had to shake the standing light to get it to come on. We decided to eat out in the end as the prices seemed to have inflated with time although the hotel has frozen in time. On returning to our room we were greeted by blaring music coming from below and outside. We called reception to ask what was going on and were told that it was a wedding function which had a live band which would be going on till 1am so nothing could be done about it. So my partner and I had to lie in bed enduring some band killing some all time classic songs till just after midnight in the end. We could then finally get some sleep but our relaxing ramantic break had been ruined. Breakfast was also not great with the offering you would expect at a motorway cafe on the M62. You wouldn't expect 90% fat bacon and mushrooms out of a deep fat fryer at a four star hotel.
At check out no help was offered with our bags and no apologies were made for the music the night before which according to a member of staff in reception is a regular problem and they get loads of complaints about the noise. Well thanks for letting your guests no before booking in.
On a plus I would like to say that the Spa staff and housekeeping were very friendly and made us feel welcome.
Just a shame the other memebrs of staff don't look after customers as well.
We wont be returning, once bitten.....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The sweeping driveway leads up to one of the grandest entrances in Yorkshire, where you’re met by a very warm welcome from our concierge. This unique 18th century former family home has beautiful landscaped gardens and lawns. Inside you’ll find grand staircases, 152 bedrooms, a state-of-the-art spa & fitness club and private function rooms. Dining at Oulton is a treat for the senses. From the classic Yorkshire afternoon tea served by the butler in the Drawing Room, to Champagne on the terrace, or a steak from the Calverley Grill.If you’re interested in the outdoors there are many activities that can be arranged. Or golfers of any level will find challenge in the 27 holes that are the meandering fairways and perfect greens of The Calverley and Hall Courses. Raise your game even further with the North’s leading golf facility in the Nike Academy. As well as custom fitting, the Academy uses the latest technology to significantly improve your game. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Oulton Hall & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Oulton Hall Hotel Oulton
- De Vere Oulton Hall Leeds
- Oulton Hall Leeds
- Oulton Hall & Spa Yorkshire