“Go with an open mind and ENJOY”

West Wales Museum of Childhood
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Llangeler
Reviewed 25 August 2013

If you are looking for an organised, pristine, modern style museum, this isn't for you but if you are looking for a great couple of hours reminiscing and learning about toys and a little bit of 20th century history, you'll enjoy this experience. Yes, some of the outside toys are weather worn, yes, the bikes in the shed are rusty (you should see my garage at home!), yes the cabinets are a little overfull but these are not good reasons not to enjoy the huge range of what is on offer and actually appreciate what Hilary and Paul are aiming to do with the museum. This is meant to be a living museum - it contains real toys and memorabilia, which are never going to be in great condition.Hilary and Paul are friendly, knowledgeable, enthusiastic and entertaining but not overbearing. After an intial introduction they leave you to wander at your leisure. If I had one suggestion it would be to have an information sheet or "paddle" for each cabinet and area of a room just describing the content in general, maybe pointing out one or two specific items as I am sure I missed far more than I noticed. As you have probably gathered, I really enjoyed the museum and would have no hesitation in returning.
As for the cafe, it was no more or less expensive than any other similar establishment I experienced on my week in the area but I can say the food was hot and tasty and very enjoyable. My advice to anyone thinking of going is to go with an open mind and concentrate more on what the museum does provide rather than what it doesn't.

1  Thank kunduku

Reviewed 23 July 2013

If you wish to bring back memories of your childhood this is a brilliant place to visit. Based in old farm buildings which have been renovated the owners are very passionate and knowledgeable about old toys and childhood memorabilia. Whilst you walk around I expect everyone will exclaim "I had one of them" or I remember them.

We spend a excellent couple of hours here and returned with relatives. Food and Drink was good value in the small café. Well worth a visit. Plenty of Car Parking and reasonably level walking.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

We visited yesterday on a daytrip that I had organised for a group of people aged between 50 and 90!
We had a very good talk to begin from Hilary and Paul, the owners. They gave us a demonstration of antique toys. Then we visited the outbuildings, the long barn etc which holds a huge collection of toys, games and memorabilia.Everyone marvelled at the toys of their youth. Well worth a visit!

Reviewed 29 June 2013

A little gem not far from Newcastle Emlyn on the main road from Carmarthen.. Brown signed. That's how we came across it. The couple who own and run this museum are welcoming, affable and extremely knowledgeable. It was amazing to see how they amassed such a comprehensive collection of toys, games, ephemera and we enjoyed an hour of two of pure nostalgia. Many reminders of childhood I had forgotten. Will visit again. Had a pot of tea and sandwich to finish it all off, all made in front of us by the lady and gentleman. Some nice walks in the fields and woods adjacent. Good picnic facilities. WARNING- closed Wednesdays so we were told.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

Visited friends in Haverfordwest and decided to try something 'different', so found this place. The website looked decent enough, if VERY out-dated........prices have increased.
Like other reviews here, I found the initial 'Oh, I had one of those' soon wore off. The displays looked tired and tatty, and like another review, felt parts of it was like a junk shop with toys etc just thrown together.
What I wasn't too keen on were the owners, I felt it was a bit creepy that adults had such a fascination with toys, it bordered on something from a Stephen King book.........just didn't feel 'right' at all. Imagine the EXCELLENT 'feel good factor' watching 'Toy Story'?.....well, this is the stark opposite.
The tea shop was VERY pricey for something so basic.
We didn't hang around too long, it was cold and uninspiring.

4  Thank MickJ62