“Idyll: with-own-lake”
Review of The Eltermere Inn

The Eltermere Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Elterwater B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We (three of us) had two nights at the Eltermere last weekend and wished we'd had time to stay longer, it was lovely, and feels like the much-loved only child of Elterwater. Were someone to convince me I could run a hotel then I would do it like this. It's a superbly comfortable home with centuries of character, and with modern fittings that ensure that Things Work. Their people are friendly and attentive. OH has some dietary requirements that the kitchen was happy to accommodate and as a result she had a very enjoyable birthday. The menu is shortish, as it should be, locally-sourced, and well-judged, with things you actually want to eat: lamb, scallops, duck confit .. and OH's simple-yet-delicious chicken. We hope to return as soon as we can.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dante4beatrice

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Lovely lakeland hotel, in a nice quiet bit of the lakes. Great welcome, friendly staff, the patron is quite a character. Hotel, stylish yet comfortable, fab rooms - go for the premier ones!
We had lovely food 2 nights, 2 starters in fact!
Great relaxing stay, will return - THANKS !
ps - when reading TA reviews - check how many reviews a reviewer has done. Thats my tactic and that's why we stayed. Seasoned TA reviewers rate thsi place!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Arrived Wednesday 28th August after 320 mile journey for a romantic getaway. On arrival we were given the keys to Gill Grains, I queried this as I was informed in an email from 'Amy' that we were staying in Willy Goodwaller as I asked if we could have a room with a bath. I was told by the owner Mark Jones that there was another guest with the same surname and they had that room and as I had booked via Booking.com I could not request any particular room anyway. I pointed out that I had emailed after booking to ask if I could have a room with a bath and Amy assured me my room would be Willy Goodwaller with a bath, his reply was "well, we will have to change things around and there is another room you can look at but if you do not like it we will can refund your money !!!!!!!! The room I was then shown was an upgrade to a huge Premier room Wetherlam and it had a bath so why did he think I would not like it ? Maybe because the location of this room is not the best as it overlooks the road at the back and you can hear a hum which I think comes from the kitchen fan. I would not have paid the full £200 per night for it but as we were not we took it. We took our luggage up and unpacked enjoyed a long hot bath and went out for dinner after asking the man on reception if we could have some toilet tissue !! I was surprised at this price to find no toilet tissue, no hair conditioner amongst the meagre toiletries and no hairdryer. We had planned to eat in the restaurant but did not feel inclined to spend anymore money there after being made to feel like a nuisance and second class by Mark Jones. On the plus side - Breakfast was excellent and the building and location are superb. As mentioned by a previous reviewer Mark Jones checked us out and said nothing other than " Going home today are you ?" I would not recommend this place to anyone purely due to Mark Jones attitude, just a simple apology and "Let me see what we can do" instead he blamed me for booking with Booking.com POOR !

8  Thank Holidaycrazy51
CocklyMoss, Owner at The Eltermere Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

I generally will not respond to guests who leave their manners at home.

Your reservation at Eltermere was made through Bookings.com and (as all reservations through third party websites) I cannot guarantee a specific room. You knew this on booking. If you had booked from Eltermere's own website you could have chosen a favorite room etc.etc.

By the time I was summoned to assist my manager with your grievance you had already decided you were leaving. By chance, we had some very, very, VIP's who had just vacated a room with a bath, which I could then allocate to you. This however did inconvenience other guests.

Many moons ago I sat next to a girl called Eileen Shaw in kindergarten. She made my life a misery -- Miss, Mark Jones is copying; Miss, Mark Jones is pulling faces; Miss, Mark Jones is picking his nose; Miss, Mark Jones YAK,YAK,YAK -- she never stopped

Fortunately, you were only here for 48 hours. I suffered Eileen for 12 months.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

We have just returned from a few days stay and im afraid to say we won't b returning again.
Our room was lovely and cosy, shower was fantastic. But we have never stayed in a hotel and never not had our bed made up or tea and coffee facility's topped up. Also our mucky glasses from the drinks we had from the bar the night before we're still in our room on returning from our day out. Drinks in the hotel were very expensive. Cheaper down the road at local pub. Service was very poor.
The staff need to smile more and mix with all there guest . On check out the gentleman on reception never asked if we enjoyed our stay , ave a safe journey or goodbye. Very rude!!

5  Thank M8rky
CocklyMoss, Owner at The Eltermere Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

You stayed at Eltermere for two nights (not a few) as per your reservation. On one of those days your room was not serviced.
My housekeeping staff work until 4 pm daily to ensure our twelve lovely bedrooms are spotlessly clean for each guest on arrival & those returning from a day out. If you choose to stay in your room all day (not a problem at all) & tell my housekeepers to 'go away' (twice) then, regrettably, your room will not be serviced, toiletries not replenished & 'mucky glasses' will not be removed.
My bar drinks are competitively priced & can be enjoyed in my lounges, terraces & gardens overlooking our private lake. If you choose to walk to a local pub & sit by a roadside to save a couple of quid, that's your choice.

Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

A lovely hotel in a wonderful location. I would highly recommend this hotel - room was spacious, food in the restaurant is great and the breakfast selection is really good.

There are some minor points which the hotel should improve:

Toilet flush temperamental
Damp marks on the wall

Also the service could be better - we requested a bottle of water a few times and were ignored by staff until manager intervened. The house keeping could be improved - left dirty glasses in the room and did not replace toiletries even after highlighting this to a member of staff.

A lovely hotel and I would stay again, however be prepared for the service to be slightly hit and miss.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We really enjoyed our one night stay here for our anniversary - lovely Stone Arthur Room great for the dog. Our cheeky pup was made very welcome (as were the humans) and good humour was evident when he made an excited bid for freedom. Enough said.

The rebrand to 'Inn' has worked for us - we've walked past this establishment many times over many years and never felt drawn in. What a delight to have discovered it now. It is very calm, beautifully located. Bedrooms are stylish, great bathrooms, good TV. Things that could have a little more attention - the welcome/ info pack needs some tlc, and the nice Scottish toiletries quirkily provided soap, shampoo and body lotion, but no shower gel?

Aimee worked non-stop to look after customers in a very professional way, setting a good standard which the rest of the team lived up to. Nothing was too much trouble here. When the iPhone struggled with the public wifi I was willingly given the BT Business Hub code which worked in the bar.

The kitchen lives up to its promise and the food is fairly priced.
Warm scones with jam and creamast afternoon tea.... At dinner - Homemade bread, very nice scallops ( :-) corals off) and beautiful cannon of lamb. The gratin dauphinoise was very rich - almost too buttery- but the melange of broad beans, peas and cabbage were a good counterbalance. The summer fruit jelly was just lovely.

Breakfast was good with Mr Pinks Sausages being a real highlight and great toast.( note for another day..... they do bangers and mash for lunch!).

One suggestion on canine side - some dog-friedly places offer a Doggie pack with a few treats, pet paw wipes and a dog towel. For the £15 puppy surcharge it woud be a nice gesture to see this here.

All this is just feedback, not complaints. We had a lovely time and look forward to coming back here again.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Recently returned from three nights at the Eltermere, and both my partner and I had a lovely time. We got a late discount on one of the Premier plus rooms, and this made for a good value break - we'd originally booked just two nights but were enjoying ourselves so much that we took the opportunity to add a third. Overall: great service, attentive and friendly, not fussy or stuffy; good food, and good accommodation, all in a very beautiful and tranquil setting.

The room itself was vary large - two good sized rooms knocked through into one: the bath was open, and the shower a walk-in against one wall: anyone who wants bathing in a separate room be warned - the toilet is a genuine privvy though! Good mini walk-in wardrobe. The view was serene, out over the garden, to the tarn beyond. The bed was king-size, just firm enough for us, and the range of pillows catered for all preferences. The weather was sultry whilst we stayed, so sleeping was difficult in the warm nights, but better this than the more stereotypical lakeland downpours. TV was limited to a few channels - but was more than enough for us, and if you're coming to watch TV then you're missing the point I think! Wi-fi was off for some of our stay - a lightning strike on the first morning, and mobile phone reception is patchy; some might complain, but we were there for a peaceful break.
The hotel has three or four separate sitting rooms / areas, as well as tables on the lawn outside that overlook the tarn to the east: whenever we came or went there were people there, whether taking an afternoon tea, or a pre-dinner drink. Beyond is a large garden, literally swathed with tiny frogs enjoying the first rain for weeks one morning when we there. There's also the option of croquet on one of the lawns.
The pub is at the end of the hall, small and welcoming, and was an optional location for dinner instead of the dining room. Dinner could be booked anytime until 21:30, which gave us plenty of scope to vary our days. I find a lot of places in the Lakes are decorated like the proverbial 'granny's boudoir', too fussy and flowery for my taste; the Eltermere is neat, tidy and traditional - and would make a decent ad for Farrow and Ball. There are some interesting and eclectic artworks hanging up, and several other characterful bits and pieces.
Food was all very good: not haute cuisine, but then neither are the prices. We both ate well, with a good range of starters, mains, or a few courses that could be either. Ordinarily we'd eat out at least once, but the quality was fine, and it meant we could both drink. The wine list is sufficient, a couple of dozen or so options covering new and old world, red and white, and light to fuller flavours. Dishes we enjoyed included scallops; chicken-liver terrine / pate; risotto; and salmon: we usually moved to the bar for a dessert / tea / liqueur. A few of the tables in the dining room enjoy the same tarnward view, all adding to the general air of serenity.
Breakfast was good. The full english was a great portion, and there were kippers and egg options too. On the first morning we stayed the croissants were slightly stale, but they were fresh on the other two. I'd have liked grapefruit / oranges as options, but overall the spread was good.

Service was excellent throughout, the team really seem to enjoy the service they provide, and mine host has a very clear view of the type of establishment he wants to run, and does so with some élan - he's friendly, takes time to chat with the guests, and clearly knows what he's doing: it's a very pleasant hotel, with a nice staff, seemingly frequented by reasonably discerning and respectful guests.
Overall, we had a lovely time, and I'm sure we'll be back. The fine weather helped, as did the fact that the hotel was only about half to two-thirds full, but the fundamentals of value and service are the undeniable core of my overall positive reflection.

Room Tip: The Premier plus rooms are large, and seem to have the best double aspect views eastwards out to the...