“Stay away if you search for luxury. If you are practical, you 'll have a great time!!!”

Pafiana Heights Hotel - Apts
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Geroskipou
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I went there the first 2 weeks of August 2014 (peak time), having bought 2 getaways from Interval International. This is definitely not a luxury resort! So, if you are searching for luxury (as the title says), don 't go there!!! The first impression had a lot of disappointments. When we arrived, I saw that the fountain in front of the entrance was empty and not working. Check-in was quick and we went to the room (a small appartment with a master bedroom and a big room with the kitchen and a sofa and the table with the chairs). The corridor was just white with no pictures and it doesn 't show that you are in a hotel; rather a hospital... The appartment was OK, it 's spacious, the kitchen is like being at home, with granite, normal stove and ceramic heaters, a microwave oven, a toaster, a big SHARP refrigerator, a boiler and a big dish-washer(!). But there was no detergent for the dish-washer (that 's why nobody had used it, as the interior was shining as bright new!), no plates detergent, no sponge... In the bathroom there were 2 basins and a big bath, only body shower gel and when I asked for shampoo, it was given with the mention that I had to by my own, as also the next shower gel. I could not believe that I came to a 4 stars (as it says) hotel and i had to buy all these myself. There were 2 bath robes and beach towels, which I could use also outside from the hotel. I arrived on Sunday, but there was no welcome basket, as it is used in time-sharing (I read in an information book in the room that I could ask for such a thing...). I read in the reception, that if I wanted to use the gym, the jacuzzi, the sauna and the steam room I had to pay 5 Euros per person. The receptionist told me that I could talk to the manager of the hotel, to get a better price... Also nobody had cleaned the filters of the air-condition, so I did it myself. And the cloth of the 2 arm-chairs of the room was dirty from other users of the room. There was no hair dryer and no iron and iron board, but as I asked for them they were given to us. All these made me think that I had thrown my money in a waste bucket. BUT...!!! The hotel is at the top of a hill in a suburban of Paphos named Geroskipou. It has a fantastic view of the Paphos area and the sea, from the airport to Peyia (the sea is 4-5 km away). I had visited Paphos 5 years ago and stayed near Coral Bay. The access of Paphos from the hotel is very easy, but you need a car. Without a car, you can 't do anything and you 'll feel isolated. It 's not a big resort with dozens of activities, it has about 45 appartments. The hotel is worked by the management on the "razor 's edge", this means with low cost. The staff is friendly (we had no problems with the reception and the maids, they were all friendly and served us well, although the most of the staff are not Cypriots). There was evey day cleaning. Another receptionist told me that we could use the gym at no cost, but not the other things (the jacuzzi was not working) and I used the gym every day (for me it was well eqquiped). They were locking the gym area, because there is an indoor pool there and they were afraid of kids who could fell in it. The rooms have verandas and the place is very quiet. As the hotel is in nature and it has gardens there were a lot of ants, some of them sometimes coming in the room from open windows. But remember you are in the nature. The 2 big pools were very clean. In the main garden between the pools there is a big tent used as a store-room for diffenernt things, which has no meaning being there... BUT! I didn 't accept to take an exchange for Interval International there, as they were asking me to pay 300 Euros per person per week for buying all inclusive the food!!! Cyprus has a very nice cuisine to accept eating hotel frozen food, and I was right As I saw going to the restaurant (which has stunning views) the food was average and international, no relation to Cypriot food. So avoid buing the food packages and don 't eat there!!! On the main street of Geroskipou, on the way to the airport and after the main square of Geroskipou, there is a libanese take-away restaurant, named "JAN" (the owners daughter), with fantastic Arabian food and very cheap (5 Euros a big portion, 2-3 Euros sandwiches of chicken gyros and falafel, 10 Euros a whole chicken, 5 Euros a big fattoush salad). This is about 2 km away from there, but you need the car! Or buy "ofto cleftiko" (traditional lamb meat with potato roasted in oven with wood for 5 Euros a large portion) from the people who are roasting it in the afternoon and in the night on the main road of Geroskipou. There is a PLUS super market on the main street of Geroskipou to the direction of Paphos and a DEBENHAMS super market (which is open on Sunday) on the roundabout at the direction of Paphos. Also there are bakeries and mini markets there on this road open 24 hours. All these are near to the hotel, but you need the car (yes I saw people coming from PLUS on foot in the heat climbing the hill and that 's exhausting, especially for people from northern countries, as the customers were British and Russians). So you can buy food and cook a quick meal. Don 't buy bottled water, as the water in the hotel is drinkable (only in the kitchen sink) Notice that because of the location there is a wind which refreshes the atmosphere, while in the city the humidity is very high, and this is a plus for it. But to enjoy your stay there, don 't stay at the hotel from day to night. Rent a car, go to the city and the whole area, go swim in the sea and the many beaches (Geroskipou municipal beach and the LA PLAYA beach bar, Coral Bay, Latsi etc), visit the antiquities, visit Limassol (65 km away), Nicosia (145 km), go to the mountain Troodos to the villages and the monasteries of Chrysorogiatissa and Kykkos, go to the mountains to find isolated tavernas with fantastic and cheap Cypriot food, move!!! Then you are going to enjoy your stay there. As there is a DVD in the room, you can bring your CD 's and play them there to listen to your music. Or bring a small radio to listen to music from stations. So the first thing you have to do is to rent a car (it 's vey cheap in Cyprus, I had a 1500 cc car for 2 weeks for 284 Euros), so as to move. The hotel has a taxi van which goes in the morning and in the night to the city (the port area) for 2 Euros each person per route in the morning and 2,5 Euros in the evening, so it is cheaper to rent a car and go wherever you want. Then the rest you need is a "good heart", as we say in Greece (the Cypriots are our brothers) and to overlook some things. Then yes, you 'll have a great time in Pafiana Heights, as we did. If you are searching for a resort to stay the whole day, then it is better to look for something else. I paid 588 Euros for every week for my stay there, for 3 persons (the same it was for 4). Paying 85 Euros per day was a very good price for me. But remember, rent a car and avoid the hotel food. That 's why I put 4 stars in this review.

Room Tip: The rooms of the lower level are cooler than these from the upper level
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ST64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I'm not even sure where I start here.
When we arrived late at night and got to our room, we discovered we were missing a few things that were advertised. There was no DVD player, there was no second TV (but a hole in the wall where I assume one used to hang) we were told we'd have to pay for a key to our safe which was already making alarm noises from the last guests to be in our room.

The staff are all lovely, but pretty useless. Every day the mandatory half hoard breakfast buffet had wasps on it. On the first evening we arrived at the evening buffet an hour after it opened only to be told that they were out of food. It was mandatory to pay for a meal that didn't exist. So my parents arranged with the manager a compromise that we'd be given a meal on our final day and that we could order al a carte so long as we picked our meal in the morning.

This was almost as chaotic as we didn't have a meal all week where all four peoples dishes came out together and without a problem. I had a meal of rice which was hot on the outside and cold in the middle. One day we got half way through a meal before discovering it was for someone else.

On the last day, we were the only people having our "complimentary" lunch in the restaurant and they still managed to bring us the wrong food. We were her only cover.

Also, half board is mandatory and costs just under €30 per head per night, but doesn't include drinks which are priced well above the average for the local area.

One day the cleaners walked in on me, as there are no "do not disturb" signs. I asked if they could come back later. They never did.

Whilst the pool was spotlessly clean, it had a cone covering a chipped drain the entire week of our stay. The table tennis table only had three bats. The spa was never open and on the last day our courtesy changing room was actually just the back of the spa and thank god we had never paid for the spa because it was full of chipped tiles and not worth the money.

We did get some lovely advice for things to see from the receptionist and the air con in the room made a world of difference, but this is sadly not enough to redeem this hotel.

Stayed August 2014

Travellers are raving about these Geroskipou hotels

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I brought my family here for a well deserved break. It was awful and is awful because I am still here.
The receptionist is rude, the food is awful, the lobby does not have AC and it's peak summer so your kids sweat in 5 mins.
The word luxury in the name is far from the truth!
It costs 900 euros for 2 adults and 2 kids for half board a week!!!
You have no choice in the matter. You are on your hols but are forced to eat here.
Been here 2 nights here now and ZERO entertainment, no music to be heard at all!
What a nightmare!

Room Tip: Do not come here......
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank shani r
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Check in,check out: no issues.
First impression: Corridor to room was like a hospital ward,barren with no pictures,decor etc.
On entry to room: Stains on chairs and bed covers, footprints on wall, laminate on table had bubbles from guests placing hot objects there.
Apartment size adequate but more shelving in cabinets would help.
Daily room service. Cleaners were efficient and good humoured,notably Rumanians.
I had to kill Cockroaches in the bathroom.

Hotel felt like it was in lock-down mode.I had to ask reception for DVD unit as it was not in room.WIFI quality was poor.
One Television in main room,none in bedrooms,only a few local stations available plus BBC world,no satellite TV.

No entertainment provided.
Tennis court was pad-locked and had grass growing through the cracks.
No ability to train early in the morning. Indoor Swimming pool/gym: opened 9am,closed 7pm.
All Spa services/travel services were closed but apparently could be booked by arrangement.

A car is essential if you want to appreciate the area,good golf courses,nice wine routes,windsurfing etc all available in the proximity.
Russian guests on budget Pegasus tours were seen walking up a steep winding hill carrying water etc as there is no hotel shop.Sea view advertised, in reality it is several km to Coast,sea view is from the hill on which hotel is located
For those without cars a limited complimentary bus service however is provided in the morning and evening.

Food was basic buffet definitely on a very tight budget.Most of the dishes,salads etc were repeated each evening or every other day.
When I asked for al a carte I ordered fish the following evening as the cook buys to order.Fish is what I got, offered leftovers of buffet salad,nothing else! I was asked to dine after 9pm so the other guests would not deluge the kitchen with al a carte orders. I have considerable experience of the hospitality industry and the buffet meal cost is no more than €5 per head.The chef did a reasonable job on a tight budget.

Staff looked tired and over worked and besides one Rumanian waiter no one made an effort to interact with customers. Owner: this is a holiday resort for Gods sake, if the staff are not relaxed the whole ambiance is affected.
Some reviewers said they experienced rudeness from the staff/owner. My experience was that staff were courteous but were almost frightened to interact with customers for fear of being reproached.My wife and I did not experience rudeness neither from staff nor the owner.

I was on a two week II 5 Star exchange,I asked to pre-pay before visit but the manager had requested pre-payment three months in advance. A specific time period was not stated on the II certificate so instead of paying £800 per week for 4 persons I had to pay £900 and also bear the exchange rate cost of conversion to Euro's. The manager stated the T&C's were in an agreement with Interval but did not provide any evidence when asked.For the sake of my family I bore the cost but if Interval and the hotel did not specifically refer to the time requirement in T&C's and provide this information to the customer it was merely a management request with no legal foundation.
Amazing that interval international could vet this hotel as an equivalent to a Marriott.

Road to hotel was lined with unfinished buildings.Economic crisis evidence everywhere,this hotel may have had aspirations of being luxury but it is most definitely in survival mode. It was a major disappointment.I would never return nor advise others to go there.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
manchester
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Trying to be as objective as possible so let’s start positively. The pools are great, clean and well maintained. Rooms are fine and overall the hotel is a reasonable standard. The staff especially the restaurant staff were excellent and even put on a great night of entertainment so well done to them. The location has great views but you absolutely need a car.
The problem with this hotel is it markets itself as a luxury spa hotel. It quite simply is neither luxury or a spa. The spa was closed throughout our visit; the gym equipment is poor and quite frankly the cleaning of the gym changing rooms and poolside is shocking with cockroaches and fungal growths. (I have pictures). It is struggling with its identity and the result is many people who are used to the description of luxury as seen in the Far East or the USA come away greatly disappointed. It is a good hotel but far from Luxury.
The biggest issue for us as Interval customers was the food. There is a compulsory half board. We were there for 2 weeks and we were charged the thick end of £1000 after the charges for currency conversion. The hotel insist on payment in £'s I assume because of the exchange rate and quite frankly I felt that was a cheap scam. The other thing for interval people to understand is that they charge you double what the charge everyone else. When I explained that Jet 2 people paid £125 per week each and we paid £240per person per week the reply was “well they pay for their rooms as well". I still have the email. The food is quite simply worth about £50 per week per person.
So Pafiana Heights and Interval obviously have massive issues with each other despite denials. Interval customers are charged a lot more than others and to cap it all interval customers are thrown out 2 hours earlier than everyone else on departure day, it’s in the hotel book. When you question you get a very defensive and sometimes aggressive “it’s in the contract” or as I was told the day before arrival “well see if you can get somewhere else then" Again I still have the mail.
In conclusion, the food is poor but the staff are working with a poor product so wherever possible go self-catering. Interval people avoid this place as you will be paying double what the others pay which completely negates the point of the Interval system. We paid more for flight and food than if we have booked a package for the same dates. If anyone from Interval or Diamond resorts reads this the understand this has seriously made me reconsider the value of your product.

Room Tip: try to get near the second pool not the main one. GO SELF CATERING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank savo59uk
Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed here in July 2014 on a compulsory half board basis (£249 p.p.) through Interval International. The setting is lovely - being on a hill it gets a breeze and the views are superb. The rooms are very spacious and all pools etc were fully functional and clean during our visit. The gym is adequate (although only one treadmill worked) but would benefit from a spin bike or similar. Pool table jammed up during the whole stay much to my sons disgust. Although breakfasts were fine, if unimaginative, the evening meals were pretty awful until we complained, being mostly purchased greasy frozen items heated up in the oven, usually with no sides available when the main course was on the buffet and vice versa. After a polite complaint at least there was more variety available, and we were offered a choice of fresh fish one evening I think by way of compensation, although the chef said this should have been standard 2 or 3 times during our stay (I did not believe him as no one else seemed aware!). The visit was also marred by clothes & money going missing from our room; although the clothing was returned after a second complaint, the money was not. Finally, the charges for the safe (35 euro per week) and the wifi (60 euro per week), are ridiculous.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Drjillb
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I went at least 5 times in this hotel. It is a quiet place with great views on why it's on a hill, you can see from there to the town of Paphos harbor of Paphos, etc. The rooms are large and clean with a large bathroom. The employees are always very helpful and willing to help you in whatever you need. The breakfast is quite rich, and so dinner, food that I tried was excellent. But however the hotel needs to improve because we can not go in August and closed the spa, salon, and indoor pool.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank stella g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geroskipou
Royal Blue Hotel
Club St. George Resort
Club St. George Resort
#67 of 88 in Paphos
St. Nicolas Elegant Residence

Been to Pafiana Heights Hotel - Apts? Share your experiences!