“Sheer artistry at work”

Stained Glass Centre
Ranked #3 of 5 things to do in Cayton
More attraction details
Owner description: The Stained Glass Centre is open daily throughout the year 10am til 5pm.You can browse our showroom and exhibition area and then relax in our tearoom or gardens and enjoy our homemade refreshments.
Gretna Green, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Sheer artistry at work”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

It is mind blowing to see the work that is produced at this wonderful place. From Stained glass windows for Churches, to the most wonderful Tiffany-style lamps and so many other things in between. Tiny little sun catchers to hang on the window, wonderful bird feeders to hang in the garden, enhanced with glass to catch the light, through mirrors and clocks - those special presents that others don't duplicate are to be found here. After all that, there is the superb tea room for a cuppa and a cake or something more substantial. Altogether a lovely place to spend a few hours - and the garden, with the moorhens wandering around it and its pond and water feature is a pure joy.

Visited May 2014

Scarborough, England, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Lovely setting”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

The tea room is in a lovely glass extension overlooking the garden (we saw moorhens in it whilst we were there). In addition to various sandwiches and salads there sre lunch time specials and some delicious looking cakes. I had ham salad. The ham was home cooked and tasty and came with warm new potatoes and coleslaw. Only slight issue was the actual salad which wasn't desperately exciting (a lot of diced pepper and I couldn't taste any dressing). Friendly staff though and a good strong pot of tea. Will call again.

North Yorkshire
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Out of season....out of luck”
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

We decided to go for a cuppa shortly after lunch today....and by 1.40 pm, they had run out of cream. Don't give me excuses about using it in the cooking....make sure you have enough for cooking AND guests. Not impressed, and such a shame because we visited in the summer and it was soooo different. Come on...keep up to scratch!

Visited January 2014
Becky M, Owner at Stained Glass Centre, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
I agree it is such a shame that we ran out of cream, we will make sure that we keep stocked up and hope that you visit again soon to enjoy a coffee with cream this time! Many thanks for you feedback.
Leeds, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“GREAT way to spend a weekend”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I just went on the Stained Glass Centre weekend course.
First you need to know that I have never been good at making things. I finished woodwork and metalwork when I was 13 years old and was universally considered useless.
NOW let me tell you that age 57 I have come home with something I am very proud of - a 14inch by 14inch stained glass panel.
The teaching on this course is excellent. You begin with the basic skills of glass cutting in shapes then choose the pattern you would like to make. and from that moment you are hands on all the way.
Val and Andy are there to guide you through every step and their cheerful encouragement gives you confidence that you can make something special.
After two days of enjoyable work I came home with a picture of a boat on the sea which I will be proud to display in my home and which has given me a genuine sense of achievement.
The centre is a beautiful place with delicious food, a great shop displaying the products which they make in the workshop and the happiest group of staff I have met in any place I have visited.
It is well worth a visit to the tea room and shop and at £250 for the weekend course (one day tasters are also available) is terrific value for money

Visited November 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Interesting, plenty to look at, good cafe”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We'd had this place recommended to us & indeed we enjoyed looking round. We spent time looking at all the showrooms before we went for coffee to help us decide what to buy. The cafe although fairly small, on a warm sunny day could overflow outside & into the garden. We only had drinks but saw the menu which was quite comprehensive & the light meals we saw being served looked good. There was certainly plenty of glass products, all tastefully displayed, to choose from & we bought several items. These were carefully packed for us in boxes. The staff were friendly & explained a little about old window glass There is also the chance to watch a video about glass making. An ideal place to buy gifts fairly reasonably priced & we would certainly visit again.

Visited October 2013