“Beautiful Area - Neglected Accommodation”
Review of Kosi Bay Lodge

Kosi Bay Lodge
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Directions to the Lodge, once you turned off the tar road, was not clear at all.
At the lodge, no one was at receiption to receive quests. A lady eventually came and was friendly.
Domestic was still busy sweeping our kitchen and verandah, we felt in the way.
Rooms and kitchen was only surface cleaned, in kitchen on top of fridge was dusty, no ice or ice trays in fridge and ants everywhere, even in fridge. Fridge does not seal at all. Dishes not clean.
Room was dark and not welcoming. Mosquito nets had holes in and only one room had a fan. A cupboard was infront of the one window which made it even worse. Shower was dark, dirty, drain not working and water coming out at 5 drops a minute. There was dust on the rocks in the shower and spiders (which I can understand) in shower, the shower curtain was terrible dark and old.
Had to wait up to 30 minutes when you book for a boat trip. Was not happy.
Staff was very friendly. Area beautiful.
Restaurant food, which I had was nice. Bar and dining area run down, looks like window frames are going to fall down!!!
This stunning destination with a potential nice place clearly shows lack of Owner/Management direction, control and interest. The only item that may appear as if an effort was made was the soap on my bed and the fact that the rooms are serviced.
Although not a luxury place, lots can be improved and nearly or very little cost.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank janashbrink

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We arrived at Kosi Bay in 2 cars... one being a Mini Cooper S. After the rains we were worried that my Mini would not make it through the huge sandy puddles to our destination... but she made it!! So if you ever wondered if you can go there with a sedan... the answer is yes, you can!
We had a guide that took us by boat to the lake to see the locals' fishing traps and hippos... then he took us to a beach where we swam and swam... the water is like bathwater!
The next day Thulani took us to the Kosi Bay Mouth where we snorkelled and saw the biggest fish including a Lion Head, Moray eels and much much more!
If yo have a 4x4 you would not need a guide but... I preferred it as he knew exactly what roads to take and had a good knowledge of his Landrover :-)
The restaurant served me the best beef espetada I had in my entire life! The only thing lacking was the peri-peri sauces / lemon butter sauces we requested for our prawns.
We had to log cabins with a huge open plan kitchen - fully equipped with an ice machine! We even had our own private pool! :-)
We spent lovely nights under the stars around our own boma and wooden fire.

Room Tip: Ask for the 2 log cabins with private pool (if it's available)
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Corlia V
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed in a very comfortable chalet, lovely surrounds with not-much-going-on (just how I like it). Did a fishing/boat trip with the very pleasant, knowledgeable and able Michael. We only ate in the restaurant on the 2nd of 2 nights and I wished we'd gone there for both. I was expecting a sort of 'mum's-stew-cooking' sort of experience as is so often found, that would have been quite alright but I was really pleasantly surprised with how extensive the menu was and mostly, with the delicious Prawn Curry I had, very well flavoured with huge tasty prawns. I also had a calimari starter which was more like a main course. If you live in the area, go there just for a meal, I'm sure you'd love it!

Alas, back in UK now, I don't suppose I will be back for a while, but I'll keep remembering...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2013

If you need to get away from it all, hire loan or buy a 4x4 if you do not already have one and go to Kosie bay we went there for four nights and it was great.
The rooms were not 5 star if that is what you are looking for they are rustic but much more than adequate, and all the staff very friendly.
Endless beautiful beaches, boating on the lakes, snorkeling in the estuary and our visit to the Tembe elephant park a real Africa experience, was the high light of our trip. the five days were not enough to do everything we wanted to, and we will certainly go again.
They are also situated close to a tropical forest that is great for a late afternoon stroll.
To Karin and Trevor and their team thank you once again for your hospitality.

Room Tip: Room C1 and C2 are my favorite but I do not really have any experience of the other rooms, just like...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pieter K
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Kosi Bay lodge is perfect for fishermen or adventure types with a 4 x 4.
No need for self catering as Trevor runs an excellent well-priced restaurant on site. He also doubles up as the barman and master cocktail maker.
More information required with regards outings for those without a 4x4.
Lynda and Gary (N3)

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The previous posts sum up Kosi Bay Lodge fairly and accurately. We stayed there 3 nights to have some R and R to break up our hectic schedule from visiting battlefields ,scenic touring and game reserves etc.Whilst we enjoyed the peaceful time we had, we also wanted to explore the area and get a feel for all it has to offer. Upon check in you are handed a list of optional tours with prices organised by the Lodge but there is absolutely no information , maps or otherwise about places of interest, flora fauna or any thing to give you a clue to do a self explore through the Nature Reserve or any where else. We did the 3 lakes boat tour which was most enjoyable with their guide Thulane who was very personable and informative. Worth doing to see the Thonga fish kraals, Bhangor Nek, birdlife and hippos. We also wanted to do some visits on our own to the scenic spots in the vicinity and as we had a 4 x 4 this seemed quite feasible. We knew we had to get a permit from the KZN parks office but even with a sketch from the helpful young ( I assume ) manageress it was a major excercise to find it as there are no signposts and the myriad of sandy tracks make it hard to know which one is the right route . Our frustration only increased after a trip into town to find the supposed Tourist Info Office which we never found.To get any information is a major feat. We did finally stumble onto the Parks office got a permit and bought quite a good map there ( worth every cent ) and did the drive into Kosi Bay Mouth but considering the amount of time we wasted getting the correct info and obtaining the permit sort of took the edge of what is a very scenic area.It was a pity we never got to Black Rock as we had no directions.For non locals and international visitors who do not know the area it does pose the question ... why is there such a lack of local information ?

Room Tip: T2 ( was a double and 1 twin ) seemed better than a lot of other chalets in terms of patio size a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stargaize1
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Kosi Bay lodge is as stated. Rustic somewhat run down but very peaceful. We and another couple had made bookings as early as February but when we arrived after driving down the sand track to this place they had only one booking not two. We were shown to our chalet which was v dark with no patio area or outdoor table to eat at near the braii pit. When we walked to the other couples unit it was bigger and had a lovely big deck with outdoor setting to eat at just near the bbq pit. We asked the on site manageress to be moved to another unit but she stated it was full. With further pressure she admitted it was not really and would move us in the morning to another unit. During our 1st night the other couple came to us to shower, as they had no cold water only scalding hot water. We had dinner with them on their v pleasant deck and next morning we had to pack up again and move to this other unit. It had a large deck and outdoor kitchen which as first was of concern due to the monkeys. However fortunately we did not have this problem. Again this unit was very dark inside and the main bedroom light did not work. After my husband went to see if it could be fixed we waited 3 nights and it was never attended to. We also had cold showers no hot water, mind you we did have power cuts every night for an hour or more, so this may have had an impact. We put up with it rather than move again. Upon checking out they could not work out what we had paid until we produced our paperwork and explained what was due, this was somewhat time consuming when we wanted to get on our way. Although they state you can manage with a normal sedan I got bogged in the sand driving the other way around to reception, my husband pushed me out although I had a 4 x4 I did not at that stage know how to use it. You could risk it with a normal car but beware of the deeper sand tracks around the lodge and avoid them. The trip down to the estuary is definitely 4 wd territory and we did this in the other couples' 4 wd. You need a permit from the local KZN conservation office which is up a forked sandy road that you follow for a few kms. We got lost twic e trying to find it. The lodge did not provide any local information about the area or maps, which would have been appreciated. We did do a lake trip with their guide Thulani which we all enjoyed, fortunately the lake was calm however next day if was too rough for the boats. If you do the boat trip take some flip flops as we had to wade to the shore from the boat at Bhanga Nek.
Overall we were glad we visited Kosi Bay but doubt we would revisit. I would agree with the last 2 reviewers, the lodge does have potential and although the rooms are clean and basic a more committed management is needed to set about improving the standard of accommodation and I am not talking fluffy towels and the like but basic things e.g. a clean pool, working lights, hot and cold water, local information pack and improved booking system.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Nooee
karin j, Public Relations Manager at Kosi Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

It is with regret that I hear that the booking was not correct. The Nightsbridge booking system we use generates the pro forma invoices that is send to the clients automatic. This invoices is then send to the client. when they receive it, and see what deposit needs to be paid, surely then they can see it is not correct? That is a way we know the client is happy with the booking.
Thanks for letting us know of problems that is not supposed to be there.
The electricity is unfortunately a problem in the area but we are getting new lines in the future.
Still a unique area!

#2 of 4 in Maputaland Coastal Forest Reserve
Chinderera Eco Lodge
Chinderera Eco Lodge
#3 of 6 in Kosi Bay

Been to Kosi Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!