“Rippon Lea Estate”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$78.99*
and up
Melbourne Attractions Pass Including Melbourne...
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Elsternwick
More attraction details
Owner description: Rippon Lea is a large nineteenth century mansion surrounded by 7 hectares of Victorian pleasure gardens. It is listed on the National Heritage Register because it is one of the finest examples of an original suburban estate in Australia.
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

I went with my family, husband,Father, daughter and granddaughters and was very disappointed with the visit. My daughter went on the Estate website to find the price which stated $20 per person $7 per concession. Tours of the house where an extra $5 per person and the tours were optional no time did it say the tours had to be booked.
When we arrived we were unable to go through the mansion as the tours were finished for the day and we could only go through the gardens. We were however able to see the ballroom as there was a market on there. We were also able to see the kitchen, laundry and stables.

The condition of the outside of the building was very poor and in need of paint and new fly wire, glass in some windows.
As this building was built in the 1880’s and is being cared for by the National Trust of Victoria I was disgusted with they way it looked.

I think the price to see the gardens was to high and while the gardens were ok I have seen much better gardens in Melbourne. The Botanical Gardens for one and that is free.
I don’t mind paying to see something of beauty but get a little cross at being ripped off.

NatTrustVic, General Manager at Rippon Lea Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit to Rippon Lea. We appreciate your thoughts on your experience, specifically on the ticket pricing and availabilities of tours of the house. We sincerely apologise that you did not have a good experience on this occasion, and will do everything we can to amend the issues that you have highlighted. We hope you enjoyed some parts of your visit despite your grievances, and sincerely hope you reconsider returning to Rippon Lea in the future.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"special events"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 21 January 2018

Rippon Lea is an interesting museum that includes an old country house and a landscape garden. Both have been preserved quite well but the outer parts of the original gardens have been turned into housing area and only the immediate part to the house remains. Private houses push too close to the garden in some parts giving too little space for the remaining garden structures and landscape. Unfortunately no conserving replanning and implementation have been done in order to minimize this damage. Some parts of the house are being restored almost continuously but still the maintenance seems to be a bit behind. The garden is charming but in many places it is in need of a structural renovation and restauration or it will begin to fall apart soon. I participated a guided tour in the house and it was very interesting but unfortunately missed it in the garden.

Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

I spent a relaxing few hours wandering around the gardens, had a picnic lunch and then did a great guided tour (Lorraine was the guide) of the house. Very well preserved. I was a bit worried about parking as it is near Christmas and based on other reviews that I had read. However, I managed to get an all day park just 200 metres from the entrance - when you do park make sure you look at the signs - the street i was on had 2 hour and permit parking one side but the other sider wasn’t marked. I think everyone assumed both sides were 2 hours and no one was parking there. I checked with a local home owner and she said it was fine - just along the railway lines next to Rippon lea.

Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

A stunning old home with beautiful surrounding gardens. If you want to dream about another time in history and what it was like to have money, do it here