“Superb Hotel”

Knockderry House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cove
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I have stayed in most of the hotels around this area and the knockderry is most likely the best I have had the pleasure to stay in.
I travel most weeks to the area and found the food to be excellent, the staff's service is impeccable.
The owners are so nice and friendly to all, the grounds are beautiful.

Room Tip: I asked if my room had a bath and the receptioned said no but instantly changed me to a room with a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
EAMac, Manager at Knockderry House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Stan B,

Thank you for your recent review of Knockderry House Hotel.

Thank you for your comments that the Knockderry is the best place in the area that you have had the pleasure to stay in. We really appreciate it. Also, thank you for your comments that our service is impeccable and the food excellent, these comments have been passed to the team who work exceedingly hard.

I am glad we managed to change your room and accommodate your needs. When booking next time we will remember you like a bath :)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We spent two nights here on a recent visit to Scotland. The setting is absolutely beautiful. We arrived in the afternoon. We were checked in by exceedingly friendly and helpful staff and shown our room which was absolutely immaculate. After a couple of drinks on the lawn we dressed for dinner. The menu was excellent as was the food and the whole dining experience. The staff were attentive to our every wish. The food was of an exceedingly high standard and came out of the kitchen piping hot. The dining room was lovely and warm. I have stayed in similar places that have been chilly in summer. On the Saturday the sun came out but it was too chilly to sit on the lawn. A log fire was lit in the bar. What a wonderful touch. It created a beautiful ambience and made us happy to sit inside and read. The owners were always around and concerned that you had everything you wanted. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. Perfect room, perfect food, wonderful staff. You felt like you were being looked after in your own stately home. With Glasgow airport under 40 minutes away this is a perfect Scottish retreat. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: We had the library suite but as the hotel is all so beautiful I am sure any room would be equally go...

Dear VictoriaCarole,

Thank you for your recent review of Knockderry House Hotel.

I am glad you found the property the setting absolutely beautiful and the room immaculate. Thank you for your comments that our staff are extremely friendly, helpful and attentive. Also thank you for your comments regarding the food being of an exceedingly high standard. I have passed on your comments to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Knockderry House very soon to enjoy the atmosphere and log fire again very soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here for the first 3 nights of our honeymoon, and fell in love with Knockderry. The property is beautiful and a great place to just relax, and the staff was extremely warm and welcoming. We'd had a rough start to our trip due to unrelated circumstances, and Laura took fantastic care of us, helping us with everything we needed to take care of the situation we were dealing with. We were fortunate enough to meet Beth, one of the owners, and she is such a lovely person. She helped us make plans for what to see while in the area, and overall was just a joy to talk to. The chef is amazing as well- some of the best food we had on our honeymoon (though a bit overpriced, and smallish portions for those who like big meals), including Italy!

I will say that it's worth paying the extra money for one of the bigger rooms if you are staying more than one or two nights. We ended up extending our stay beyond the original 2 nights planned, and the only room left was small (and HOT because there wasn't any air conditioning). We also had a slight issue with the shower in our room, as the curtain didn't fully enclose the shower and water got EVERYWHERE. Closing it also made the space in which you could actually shower miniscule.

Overall, this was a great place to stay, and one we'd love to visit again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Erin S,

Thank you for your recent review of Knockderry House Hotel.

I am glad you found the property beautiful and the atmosphere relaxing. Thank you for your comments that our staff are extremely warm and welcoming, and particularly mentioning Laura and Beth. Also thank you for your comments regarding the food being some of the best you experienced on your honeymoon I have passed on your comments to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Knockderry House very soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Spent two nights at the hotel, the Loch side setting was beautiful. We had diner in the restaurant on Saturday night, the service was really good and the food was lovely. Just one little disappointment was the lack of drinks available, my husband could not have his first or second choice of whiskey as they had run out and we couldn't order the wine we wanted for diner either as that was sold out also. We would recommend this hotel and will be returning for another stay.

Room Tip: Room 3 is above the bar but has the most beautiful view of Loch Long
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
EAMac, Manager at Knockderry House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear mustard14,

Thank you for your recent review of Knockderry Country House hotel.

Thank you for your comments regarding the beautiful setting, the good service and lovely food. I have passed your comments onto the team.

I am sorry you were disappointed with the drinks available. Unfortunately the weekend of your visit we had a problem with a supplier and also it being very busy. We look forward to you returning for another visit and I assure you the bar will be fully stocked :)

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Wonderful location, excellent food and wine. Master room, sadly lacking. Needed dusting under furniture, shower leaked onto back wall causing floor to flood. A little TLC would make this rather expensive hotel perfect for a restful get a way. Include breakfast in the price of a room and we would return.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sheena M,

Thank you for your recent review of Knockderry Country House hotel.

Thank you for your comments regarding our wonderful location and excellent food and wine. I have passed your comments onto the team.

I am sorry about the issues with the shower. Our maintenance team have looked into this and it is now fixed. With regards to breakfast, the reason we do not include it in the price is because not all guests want breakfast and then end up paying for something they do not have. We do however appreciate the feedback.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I booked Knockderry for an anniversary trip with my partner. We had initially looked at others like Gleneagles and Cameron House but felt that Knockderry was more intimate with great food (and good veggie offering too).

The best thing was the soup at lunch (white onion) and the food over dinner was v good too. Great wine without too much mark up.

I really enjoyed it and would stay again. Although I did skimp on getting a 'wee room' and spent more on dinner. I would probably prefer a bigger room however the rooms and indeed the hotel were impeccably decorated. Didn't sleep great (I was too hot and heard noises in the hallway) although this may have just been me being a light sleeper on this occasion.

I enjoyed playing with the dogs too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mcjet,

Thank you for your recent review of Knockderry Country House hotel.

Thank you for your comments regarding our food being great and the wine. I have passed your comments onto the team.

We hope to see you again soon for another relaxing break.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

If I was to appraise this delightful hotel by its sumptuous, panelled public rooms, the lovely bedroom (Bedroom 2) and the good-natured staff, it would easily merit five stars. However, the room’s facilities and food in the dining room let it down badly. And then there’s the pricing…
One’s first impressions are most promising. It’s a large country house with real presence. Our bedroom was super: it was spacious, had a comfortable four-poster, a roll-top bath and a great view over the loch.
Not nearly so good, however, was the shower/WC, which had no ventilation whatsoever, nowhere to place soap or toiletries within the shower enclosure, a toilet seat which self-lowered in twenty seconds (not ideal for us chaps) - and neither this room nor the bathroom had anywhere to dry towels overnight. The shower mixer valve must be the cheapest available but, in fairness, it worked.
An espresso machine is a nice touch, but what’s wrong with providing a small kettle as well – for tea requires the water to boil, unlike coffee?
Our dinners were variable. The soup starter and the lamb main course were fine. My single-sided trout fillet – all 3.5” of it - was overcooked; the three slices of potato (equating to half a potato overall) it lay on were never from a Jersey Royal (as described), served with two asparagus tips, was charged at £20.00 - one of the poorest value, and least filling meals of my life.
But, where the hotel really lets itself down is breakfast – which is an extra cost. This makes the B&B rate up to £180.00 per night. And in that price bracket the Knockderry does not compare well. We were advised that a cooked breakfast would be £12.00 each. Imagine my surprise when my request for a bowl of cereal, in addition to kedgeree, was greeted with: ‘…that’ll be £3.00 extra, sir’. And, it’s not as if the breakfast is good. The orange juice was billed as freshly squeezed, we didn’t think so, the toasted bread was cheap, plastic bag stuff, and the kedgeree was a pot of microwaved rice, an overcooked poached egg and a few tiny squares of smoked haddock.
This then, is one’s last impression of what could so easily be a great hotel.
And, unlike some previous reviewers, it was not Murdo, one of the proprietors, or his dogs, who let the side down – on the contrary - we found him charming, intelligent and considerate.
If you’re not discerning about food, and you get lucky with your allocated room, you might enjoy your stay here. However, three nights previously, we stayed in a similar hotel quite nearby that was, in absolutely every respect, superior – room included - for £130 a night. It is to there we’ll return.

4  Thank Ishkem
EAMac, Manager at Knockderry House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Ishkem,

Thank you for your recent review of Knockderry Country House Hotel.

Firstly thank you for you positive comments regarding the hotel’s public areas, the room and our staff.

With regards, to you more negative comments we can only apologise that you were not completely happy with your stay. Room 2 does have a window in the shower room which allows ventilation and there are hook’s in both bathroom areas to hang towels on to dry. There is not however anywhere for toiletries in the shower cubicle which you have pointed out and we will rectify this. The coffee machine does provide boiling water for tea as well as per the instructions provided in the room folder, however had you preferred a kettle one of our staff would have happily put one in the room for you.

I am sorry you felt your meals were poor value, however, I would like to clarify some of your comments. All our produce is from where is stated on our menu; we pride ourselves in using local and seasonal ingredients and we are part of the Taste Our Best scheme running in Scotland. I am unsure if you alerted staff at the time if you were unhappy with the cooking of the fish or the portion size, as had you done so the chef would have made you a fresh one or we would have offered a replacement. With regards to price our menu costs do reflect the quality of the ingredients used by our chefs.

We have taken on board your comments regarding breakfast. We did change our breakfast menu only a few weeks ago, with the addition of the kedgeree dish, and we did lower the price of breakfast overall. Unfortunately, ordering additional items does incur a small charge. The chef has assured me that a whole fillet of haddock is used in the dish, both mixed in and separately. All our breakfast dishes are also freshly cooked to order and had you told staff you were unhappy we could have replaced your dish.

Again we are sorry you did not fully enjoy your stay and we do thank you for your comments, however we would of appreciated you raising these issues at the time of your stay to give us the opportunity to rectify them.

Best Wishes,

Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cove
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel
Kilcreggan Hotel
Kilcreggan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kilcreggan
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to Knockderry House Hotel? Share your experiences!