“Whale watching from your bed”

Blue On Blue Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 7 St. James B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We spent two nights at Blue on Blue and absolutely loved it. The location is perfect, close to everything without being in the city. Our bedroom view was of False Bay, and we awoke to the sounds and sights of whales on our second morning there. Amazing! Our breakfasts were excellent, and the B & B spotless. We arranged to have laundry done on the first day, and it was returned before we left the second morning there. One of the reasons we chose this B&B was the secure parking, but it should be noted that the road up to the B&B is quite steep, and the turn into the parking area fairly sharp, so we had some worry about our full sized Hyundai H1 van, full of our 6 people and all of our gear, making it. We did manage it, but if the road had been wet we might not have.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Everything is written on the other revies and no need to descrive more this excellent guesthouse. I hope the owner will continue with the same service. Sitting on my desk in the office I still remember the sweet sensation of getting up with the waves of the ocean.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This cozy spot was recommended by friends and for once I listened to advice. Thanks, Trisha! beautiful views looking over false bay and we happened to catch the very first whales of the season looking out of our bedroom window! this is another gem that is away from the rush of the city but still within easy driving of all attractions. plenty of delicious little restaurants in walking distance (kalk bay). breakfasts also quite nice and friendly service.

Room Tip: We saw whales from cape view but I understand that all rooms face the sea.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This being the second time I've stayed was great, as there were no surprises. i was met by the very friendly and welcoming staff and immediately felt at home. Access and location is great as Blue on Blue is right between Muizenberg and Kalk Bay. The 20 minute walk to Kalk Bay is welcoming after a long flight. The double room I stayed in was very comfortable and had a stunning view. The best part of this stay was the breakfast and tops all the other 7 B&B's i stayed in while in South Africa. Keep up the good work and I would recommend this B&B wholeheartedly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We drove from Central Cape Town to St James - easy. It is a very lovely property between Muizenberg and Kalk Bay. It is a convenient location to drive to the wineries, Cape Point, Hermanus. The breakfast was delightful. Yuliswa who welcomed us was warm and kind. We really appreciate her. Very clean and comfortable. We stayed in the master suite with a beautiful sea view. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Room heater and mattress warmer were provided. Master Suite!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I really liked Blue on Blue. It looks fantastic - colourful and interesting decor and spotlessly clean. My room, the master suite, was spacious, well furnished with amazing views. I was the only guest during my 4 day stay.....which made it feel a bit isolated....but I was very well looked after with particularly good breakfasts. It's a little hard to find and quite a walk to Kalk Bay (at least 15 minutes, and I walk fast!). Being on my own and without a car, I would not have felt safe walking around after dark. This is a very good value, homely and comfortable choice!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I booked this spot because, while being on a secluded street (end of cul de sac) it was both walking distance to eateries and driving distance to the attractions I wanted to hit (Cape Point, Winelands and city bowl). What I didn't bargain for were the great vistas of the ocean and mountains and the ecclectic local art. Room was bright and airy. Really a character property with a folksy yet contemporary feel. Service was good and the breakfasts wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
#4 of 7 in St. James
St James Homestead
St James Homestead
#5 of 7 in St. James

Been to Blue On Blue Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!