“Nevill Arms Medborne”

Ranked #1 of 4 Medbourne B&B and Inns
Sudbury Suffolk
“Nevill Arms Medborne”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

This Inn/Hotel is one of the best we have ever stayed in. The staff are all so very friendly, The food is of an excellent quality. And not priced silly. The room was very clean and comfortable. The Inn is in a lovely quite village and there is no traffic noise, which we find is an added bonus.
Would we stay here again ? Oh yes

Room Tip: From the layout of the rooms I would think that they would all be ok. We had room ten and we have no...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I had booked a stay here through a booking site with free cancellation option. I then found out that I could not make it, so I cancelled the stay through the correct procedures and received confirmation via the booking agent. On the night of what would have been our first night's stay we were awoken at around 11.15pm by a phone call stating that we were expected there that day for a 3 night stay. My husband had answered the phone and said he did not know anything about it. I remembered booking a hotel some 3 or 4 months before, but was sure I had cancelled it, so I got out of bed, switched on the PC and checked. I had just received an email saying that as we had not shown up we owed them for 3 nights. I rang the Hotel and was told they had not had the cancellation, so they would check with the booking site the next morning. I rang the booking site there and then and they confirmed that I had cancelled the stay back in May 2013, the day after I had booked it. The next morning the booking site sent me an email saying that the hotel had missed the cancellation, and that they had apologised to me. The thing that annoys me is that the hotel have never apologised to me. I can understand an error being made, but I cannot understand anyone ringing at gone 11o'clock at night, and I would have expected an apology from the hotel themselves for the late call, and the worry and stress they had caused by their action, rather than leaving the booking site to advise me what had happened. Will I ever book this hotel again? What do you think.

4 Thank Roseananne
Southampton UK
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Wasn't sure what to expect with some of the reviews but the negative ones on here are best ignored. Medbourne is a delightful village and the Nevill Arms Inn sits near a stream which looks idyllic. We arrived on a Friday night and the place was packed so parking a slight issue but nothing too bad.

My main criticism of the place is, is it a pub with rooms or is it trying to be a hotel? I think the former because there is no reception area, so our 'introduction' was across a bar littered with empty dirty glasses, which wasn't quite what I expected.

However, the members of staff were apologetic and helpful, particularly Maria who showed us to our room. The room (8) looked out over the garden, crowds, stream etc, very nice and loved the mullion windows with leaded light glass. Room was decent size, bathroom a bit small but okay, and shower passed the test, fixed to the wall and constant temperature although they need to fix the dodgy power lead on the the towel rail (please).

We booked dinner in the restaurant (slight issue here with pictures of hunting on the wall, perhaps could do better). Starters very good, and mains not bad. Only issue here is that I ordered liver and bacon which was very nicely cooked and had some decent mash hiding underneath which I found after about 3 days of eating. I have never seen so much liver in my life, more than on the butcher's counter at Sainsbury's. So I would suggest cut the portion by 66% and take some money off the bill!

Woke to absolute silence and the sun coming through the window bathing the room in gold light, it looked brilliant! Breakfast was a superb 'heart attack on a plate' very nicely cooked but also there was fresh fruit for the healthy people!

All in all really enjoyed our short stay here apart from my minor issues we thought it was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Our room was great, Number 8
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

An absolutely great place to go for either a relaxing drink, an outstanding restaurant meal or a lighter bar meal. Lovely traditional decor in the main bar with a real fire at each end of the room, and then a modern and stylish restaurant at the back which opens out onto a superb outdoor patio garden with plenty of tables with parasols. There are also outside tables at the front overlooking the stream/river (?). Great beers on offer, including Leffe on draft, a particular favourite of mine, please keep it going! You get a warm and friendly welcome when you arrive and whilst it clearly has a lot of locals who are regulars, you never ever get the feeling of being an outsider. The food here is second to none with a quality menu of stylishly presented food - the garlic ciabatta with stilton is an absolute must, worth travelling for!! The staff are incredibly helpful, my daughter didn't like her mushroom soup and the waitress spotted her and came over and offered to change it for tomato instead, no charge, just really great, caring service. We've visited many times for lunchtime drinkies and food, and have also booked the main restaurant for Mothers Day and Fathers Day specials which have been excellent - even when busy and full, the whole service is run like clockwork and the food is unbeatable. We have never stayed in the accomodation as we live only about half an hour away, but imagine it is lovely. Worth mentioning, well behaved dogs on leads are allowed in the pub area. Pay a vist, you won't be disappointed, and the village of Medbourne is lovely too.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Manchester, England
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We booked this inn as a stop-over whilst out on business, and couldn't of found better. From setting foot inside, we were met with friendly attentive staff, great beers, and incredible food.
The rooms are very comfortable and well maintained, and tied in to a lovely quiet village, so had a great nights sleep.
Breakfast was the same; friendly staff, freshly cooked breakfast, and great food.
We will certainly be using this friendly Inn again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Just come back from a wonderfully relaxing two night stay at the Nevill Arms.
Lovely picturesque setting in the middle of quiet village, nIce room, good food and very friendly attentive staff.
Tables out the front overlooking the village stream and footbridge and a spacious well appointed rear garden/patio area.The weather certainly helped make this a memorable stay.
Despite minor criticism of no obvious person in charge, we would definitely return and recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stayed overnight at the Nevill Arms. Spacious front room with four poster and separate modern bathroom. Sandstone and mullioned windows, picturesque village. The Inn is just set back from the river Welland. The staff were very helpful and the breakfast taken in a spacious and airy conservatory was well cooked with plenty of choice including fresh fruit salad. Lovely courtyard with landscaped gardens and gazebos. We took coffee outside after breakfast. The restaurant had nice marble floors and looked as if it had been recently refurbished. Had an evening meal with a starter of bread from the wonderful Hambleton bakery and olives. Main course was disappointing. The crab salad did not have any salad and the crab was a bit dull despite lemon mayonnaise. The bar area is a bit tatty and there is no proper hotel reception. But the new café at the back of the inn is lovely and sells all sorts of deli goods too. Would stay again as it was a peaceful location. Would avoid the weekend as any do's might make it noisy.

Room Tip: Room at front might be very noisy as there is seating outside.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medbourne
Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa
Best Western Rockingham Forest Hotel
The Saxon Crown
The Saxon Crown
#2 of 6 in Corby

Been to Nevill Arms Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!