“Inexpensive lodging and good food”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palolem
Papillon Beach Huts
Mechelen, Belgium
“Inexpensive lodging and good food”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

When in Palolem, you can locate Papillon at fag end of the beach. They have coco beach houses which they rent out. Compared to the price that you pay for a room, its really a good deal. These are small huts made mostly of bamboo or cane. Even in a hot day you wont feel the need of an AC since bamboo huts usually stay cool even in hot summer. They have fans though.
The bathrooms are temporary ones with showers and basins and English toilets. You wont get hot water directly in the shower. If you need it, ask for it. They will provide you hot water in a bucket.
The houses lack privacy though. As I said these are bamboo huts and unlike rooms with concrete walls you dont get complete privacy there.
The location is the best. And the food even better. The north indian food is really tasty. We had chicken tikka, parathas, malai tikka, english breakfast, fresh fruit juices and they were really good.
The staff was good. The behavior of the attendants was excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Indrajit P

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We had stayed at papillon last year for 4 nights. It is located at the south end of palolem beach. Food was excellent here. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Hot water available, which is counted as a luxury here! Will visit again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank bmandlia
surrey
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I booked to stay here for three nights in a beachfront hut.We have stayed here before and never had any problems.
We arrived and were shown a hut that we had actually stayed in before.
We then started to unpack our things and we plugged in our mosquito repellent into the mains socket.
We then went for a walk along the beach and on our return to Papillon we decided to sit in the bar with a cocktail and watch the sun go down. However as my back was sticking to the chair I decided to go up to our hut and get my t shirt.When I got there and opened the door I found that the hut was on fire.I screamed down to my wife that we were on fire.The place was full of smoke and the wooden bed side table was on fire and some of wifes things were alight but fortunately we had a full bottle of water inside and I
managed to put out the fire.The staff at first did not take my wife seriously but eventually the manager turned up and on investigating the cause realised that the mains socket had burnt out.I then told him that we had plugged in a mosquito repellent to which he said that we should have not done that as they do not have any Mosquitos there.If that was the case it would be the only place in Goa that does not have them and what are the mosquito nets for.. decoration !
Anyway they got a cloth and tried to clean the blackened walls and removed the black bedclothes and brought some clean ones and said we could still stay there.The place stank of smoke and the mosquito net(sorry they don't have Mosquitos there) and the net curtains were black so we said there was no way we could stay in the hut and could you please provide us with another hut.The manager then agreed to do this.All our clothing which was in the hut stank of smoke so I asked him if he could get it washed for us and he agreed to do so and said we could pick it up the next day.
So we moved to a new hut and the following evening we asked for our washing and eventually it arrived and we were asked to pay the cleaning cost of about £3.85.We obviously refused as it was not our fault that the hut had caught fire and they said ok but we must see the manager tomorrow.We agreed and the next afternoon we caught up with him and told him we would not pay and said it was lucky that I went back to the hut when I did because he could have lost the hut,the next door hut,the shop below it and probably half the resort. To which he replied it was our fault and we should not have plugged in the mosquito repellent and we were lucky that he did not charge us for the damage to the hut.We said that we had been using the repellent for the last two weeks without any problems and that it was his poor electrics that were at fault.He still blamed us and then with the next breath he said I know that the Indian electrics are useless but you caused the problem by using the repellent.
We said that nowhere does it say that you should not do so and finally he said he would pay the washing cost out of his own pocket.
The managers attitude was terrible,after the fire never once did he ask if I was ok even though he could see I was black from the smoke and coughing and refused to apologise in any way,he was more interested in the state of the hut.
We will never ever go back to this resort and would suggest that anyone interested in going there should read this report carefully before making a booking there.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank neil43
Cornwall UK
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Have been coming here now for several years & for the last 3 years each year on it is improved. Nicer huts. Shelves in bathroom. No matter what you want Heaven & Staff make it possible. I think those with negative reviews are simply not used to simple beach hut life. If you want 5 star book into inter Continental & pays their prices. These are simply well equipped beach huts, totally safe & now with CCTV all around. Anyone complaining about wanting it cleaned perhaps needs to learn how it is done in India. Simply ask for room to be cleaned & it is done. Bedding is nice & fresh. Pillows & bed comfy. Shower is from tank so quite warm enough but if you want hot water just ask & they will provide you with it. Very child friendly. Table tennis out the back along either loads of Palm trees to hang a hammock & if you ask coffee can be served at hammock. Quite simply if you want something just ask! Don't complain things are not done how you want them when you don't take time to ask. All the staff are amazing & Heavens brother Ariff (sorry Ariff if I spelt it wrong). Is a chemist so if you have ant health concerns wether minor tummy upsets or major problems he can help get it sorted for you. Food is all fresh & salads etc washed in bottled water & all ice is safe coz again made from bottled water. I definitely give it 11 out of 10 on all scores.

Room Tip: If you want something ask
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LesleyCornwallUK
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We trawled trip advisor trying to decide on which beach hut to stay in Goa. We finally settled on Papillion as we deemed it the best of what had availability. The location of the huts is amazing and the restaurant is very good. You can fall asleep and wake up to the sound of the waves, throw on a bathing suit, have breakfast and be on the beach in 30seconds.

The huts themselves are so-so: we stayed in a deluxe beach facing room. The view was immense, you can see right up the beach and out into the ocean! The bed was ok (not pristine white sheets but sleep-able) and the bathroom very average (it wasn't necessarily dirty, it was just poorly put together and we didn't really trust the shower). The huts are basic which was part of the beauty for us but may be too rustic for some. If you expect 5-star then don't stay here. If you want to stay on the beach and are willing to rough it a little then this is perfect.

Overall we had an amazing time in Palolem and would recommend staying in a beach hut to anyone (at least for part of the trip). Papillion served its purposes for us but its hard to give the actual accommodation anything more than a "average".

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mitcho15
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The reviews seemed very good and we disregarded the few that stated the bad service and rudeness, thinking it was purely subjective, and gave them a shot. Sure the location is nice but the owner seemed incredibly rude, lazy and even sneaky at times (even with his staff) and the overall ambience was very unpleasant. There are so many other lovely accomodation places along the beach that aren't listed online. I'd suggest turning up and having a look for yourselves before booking into a place like this. It seemed as though no love, care or interest beyond making a quick buck because of the location has been put into this place. What a dump, minus 10 out of 10.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Susan86123
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I have just returned from my third annual visit to Goa where I stayed for 3 weeks at Papillon over Christmas and New Year. This was my third stay at Papillon, after the first day Papillon begins to feel like home. Heavens staff - especially Dev and Rajah really do go way out of their way to make sure you always taken care of.

We tried restaurants and bars up and down the beach and always returned to Papillon as our favourite, the red snapper in the Tandoori simply cannot be beaten!

The rooms and bathrooms as always were neat and clean and are serviced on request as frequently as you like. I stayed in beachfront hut D3 which has the most breathtaking views over the rocks, water and up the length of the beach. Initially I was traveling alone and at not time felt unsafe or that my hut was insecure during my stay.

I cannot recommend this resort highly enough.

Room Tip: The beach front rooms have spectacular views and I was very happy with D3, but it does get afternoo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palolem
The Tubki Resort
#27 of 81 in Canacona
Royal Touch Beach Huts
Royal Touch Beach Huts
#8 of 50 in Palolem

Been to Papillon Beach Huts? Share your experiences!