This is the perfect place if you want an escape from noisy, polluted cities and breathe some fresh country air. There was even a magnificient thunderstorm at night which we ran through to get to the other chalet. This is one of the best hotels I've stayed at. We could only stay one night because the rest of the days were booked but we loved every minute of our stay. We were a party of four and two young children - at first it did not seem like a kid-friendly place because the chalets are far apart and also away from the main villas but the golf-kart service made it all easy to travel around. It was fun travelling back and forth on the golf-karts - especially fun for the kids.
The chalets and plunge pool
Each chalet has a small dining and living area and a huge bedroom area and a nice, lavish bathroom. The first thing I did was dunk into our private plunge pool. There were also monkeys everywhere. Before my second trip into the pool, a frog jumped in and I had to call the pool maintenance guys. I found out later a lizard had jumped into our neighbors pool. Just shows you how far removed this place is from the dust and grime of the human world. Everything is sustainable and runs mostly on solar panels.
We had a lot of fun riding bikes around the hotel estate and discovering new places - the most fun was riding the bike down the long path through the rice paddy. I'm pretty sure I saw a huge iguana slither past while I was biking around. We did not get time to try archery or horse riding.
Amazinggg. Especially the fact that you can order anything from the menu - breakfast at dinner time and dinner at breakfast time. The chefs work with your body clock not the other way around. The food was delicious as well especially the breakfast. We had the breakfast in the restaurant and the weather was great to lounge about. I loved the yogurt and mini donuts.
Everyone was so kind, always smiling, and willing to help. They even delivered our dinner during a thunderstorm at night time.
Overall this hotel is exceptional and deserves all the fame and accolades it gets.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury boutique hotel and spa located in Anuradhapura, North Central of Sri Lanka. Built on 58 lush acres bordering two ancient reservoirs, surrounded by unspoilt nature and tucked away in complete privacy, the resort offers 20 spacious and luxurious chalets, 19 stand alone chalets and one suite, each with its own private plunge pool with all modern amenities. Ulagalla Resort is the perfect base for travelers with a thirst for adventure and a passion for wildlife. But we understand that great adventures are also about elegant simplicity – to return to a cool dip in the pool, rejuvenate in the spa or sip a sundowner on a private deck.Located at the center of the Cultural Triangle and close to national parks, Ulagalla is the perfect base for travelers with a thirst for adventure and passion for wildlife. The resort offers many excursions and guided tours: A cycling tour can be taken to explore the ancient capital of Anuradhapura in a novel way. Exciting wildlife safaris to the plains of Minneriya National Park to watch the elephants or further West to Wilpattu National Park – the realm of leopards - are organized with all the necessary permits.Witness the wonder of Kalawewa – a giant reservoir and a proud feat of engineering of an ancient kingdom, or visit the ancient ruins of Ritigala. Explore the marvels of Sigiriya, Dambulla, Polonnaruwa and other sites of archaeological and historical significance on a day trip. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Uga Ulagalla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ulagalla Hotel Thirappane
- Uga Ulagalla Sri Lanka/North Central Province - Thirappane