“Wow!!!!”
Review of SMJ Falconry

SMJ Falconry
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Oxenhope
More attraction details
Owner description: SMJ Falconry is a private Bird of prey centre based outside of Oxenhope, West Yorkshire. We are only open to pre-booked experience days. We also run educational school visits, displays and corporate days.
Reviewed 4 April 2015

I was given the "Owl Experience" as a wedding anniversary present and it's the best one I've ever had! The staff welcome you in like family, make you feel very at home, and are very friendly but also informative. I never thought I would get to hold and/or fly so many different types of owls. Everything was at our own speed, and we were never rushed. Now I love owls even more!!! Well worth the money!!!

Date of experience: April 2015
in 6 reviews
"great variety of birds"
"peregrine falcon"
in 2 reviews
"an experience not to be missed"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this experience"
"brilliant morning"
"soft toys"
"moment you arrive"
"excellent afternoon"
"yorkshire countryside"
in 3 reviews
"wrap up warm"

Reviewed 3 April 2015

I saw this place advertised on their website and i had a look on Trip Advisor to see what people were saying about their experiences. They were all excellent, and i was straight on to the telephone to book an afternoon session with my two grandchildren. The tour started off visiting the wonderful variety of Kestrels, Falcons, Owls (never seen so many specimens in one location) and even a Vulture (named Julie). After making our acquaintance we then started to handle some of the birds, working our way up in size from the beautiful Kestrel up to the Barn Owl. You don't appreciate just how wonderful these birds are until you have one resting on your (gloved) arm. Ater holding some of the birds, we then strolled into the fields with Henry the Hawk and Chris our guide and handler for the afternoon and Henry (after he was fitted with his transmitter) was free to fly around his various perches located around. We then took it in turns to summon Henry with pieces of chicken and seeing a graceful bird of prey zooming in on your arm was just breathtaking. We then progressed on to bigger birds and ended up with Julie the Vulture flying in onto your arm for her treats. After all this Chris demonstrated the art of the birds catching food on the wing. He attached a chick (dead) onto an attachment and whizzed this around and around until the bird of prey swooped around and down until finally catching his prize. The birds are so silent in their pursuit of their quarry and it is just so graceful to observe. After this a few more handling with other birds and that was that. 3 hours had just flown by (excuse the pun). This was truly a very memorable experience for both myself and my grandchildren (aged 13 and 11) I can't praise this afternoon highly enough and whoever decides to give this place a visit...you will not be disappointed at all. All staff were very friendly and extremely informative and on that basis i give the experience 10 out of 10.

Date of experience: April 2015
2  Thank Steve C
Reviewed 23 February 2015

We had a great morning on a half day experience. Despite very poor weather, we got to see all the birds and and learn about them. Chris made us feel very welcome. We will be back.

Date of experience: February 2015
Christopher J, Manager at SMJ Falconry, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2015

Thank you for your lovely review, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 14 December 2014

Had a great time up in the fog with Chris and Oslo recently. A great experience I'd definitely recommend.

Date of experience: November 2014