“Wagon & horses”

Cuisines: British
Slaithwaite, United Kingdom
“Wagon & horses”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Called on our way to Hebden Bridge .My husband asked for a white wine and asked what they had barman said "not sure" alarm bells ringing ,he poured a glass and when my husband said what is it he said I think it's Chardonnay it's a new one ,it tasted funny not the Chardonnay I usually drink .Its cozy inside with two fires but don't think we'll call again .

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Denise S

Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
“Tired”
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

As a family we eat out when we can its good to catch up with our teenage boys and enjoy a chat. We live near the wagon and horses and decided to visit. First impressions were it looked a little tired inside and out. Caravans in the car park gave me the impression of travellers visiting.

It could do with a lick of paint inside too. But as they are new: give it time. Had the Greek starter but didn't look too Greek to me. The main courses were excellent, although the menu said they were home cooked, this is the first pub where I actually believe it. I reckon they popped home to cook it, the time it took from ordering to service.

2 Thank jacquelinehargreaves
Haworth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic-new owners have made it a place to be!”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We have visited this pub recently for a meal as a family of 4 (2 kids, 2 adults) and we were very impressed. Beautiful pub, fantastic views, really warm welcome as we came through the door...and most importantly? Good quality, genuinely home cooked food. Not frozen cheap mass produced stuff...actually well though out and cooked food with good quality ingredients. The children's meals were also the same quality and portion size was perfect for them. M husband asked for something specific that wasn't actually on the menu at the time, but that was not a problem - they put something together for him that exceeded expectations. Would highly recommend for value, quality and atmosphere - a pub well worth supporting given the decline of pubs nationally at the moment. These guys really care about what they're doing.

• Visited September 2013
hertfordshire
“NICE PUB WITH BREATH TAKING VIEWS”
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Eight of us visited the wagon and horses over Bank holiday weekend for a snack. Everyone enjoyed their food except myself and daughter who had a sharing platter Greek Meze. The tizzaki was too runny . I don't know why we were given garlic butter where was the taramasalata? The humous was ok. Too many anchoives and they had run out of olives it was awful. Big let down.
Views fantastic as we sat outside would recommend people to come here but don't have theGreek Meze sharing platter.

• Visited August 2013
barnoldswick
“ghastly”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We visited this pub after travelling quite along way back from holiday. Having been before and had a good experience we were expecting the same. I chose the roast beef and asked specifically if it was carved off the bone. The barmaid did not understand but said she would check with kitchen and told me when she came back that it definitely was. I checked with her again that it was not the school dinner type of meat, thin slices of shoe leather. We actually had a laugh about it. When the meal came I could see straight away that this is exactly what it was. When I pointed it out having tried and been unable to eat it she got the manageress who proceeded to argue with me in a very aggressive manner. I was not unpleasant to her and we had already paid for the meal but I was not prepared to eat this rubbish. She even told me she had had some herself and it was fine. It was very uncomfortable. I agreed to have the chicken which she reluctantly offered me. It was no better but I am sorry to say I had had enough of her unpleasantness and we just left. My husband said his meal was okay. We decided we would not go back mainly due to her attitude. It was last year and I have been boiling about it since so good to get it off my chest at last.

• Visited September 2012