“The best place I have seen for a very long time”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Swanson House

Swanson House
Ranked #2 of 3 Brough B&B and Inns
Blackpool
“The best place I have seen for a very long time”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Thank you so much for your hospitality your home/hotel is above excellent, it is beyond expectations, I cannot express of what high standard is but your is well above the standards that are set out.
The menus that are in place are of a very high standard,
The rooms cannot be graded as the standard is so high it is more than a 5**********
Anyone who has the chance to stay with you will always come back again and again We are sure that we will be visiting again soon.
I give this establishement my highest accolades and I am sure I will not meet another one of this standard for a very long time.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We had the Glorious Twelfth Banquet - a collection of game dishes in celebration of the beginning of the British grouse season.

This included homemade terrine; carpaccio of venison as well as imaginative presentations of grouse and pheasant.

All beautifully cooked and presented with genuinely friendly service.

It's great value for money and visitors to Cumbria and The Lakes should not miss this little gem.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Together with our 1 yr old son my wife and I stayed at Swanson House for 5 nights. We had booked the Odette room which was very nicely and comfortably furnished for the 3 of us - even with a cot for our little one. The very spacious bathroom offered complimentary soap products from a local company (Sedbergh) and was excellent for a relaxing bath after a day out (Hint: If you're not used to the slightly lower average room temperature in Britain, like we were, being "from the continent", you can always ask the hosts to turn up the general thermostat). Philip and Pat did a brilliant job in providing us with everything we needed, and a bit more (e.g. delicious chocolate muffins). They were also always helpful with information on local places of interest and how to get there, so we could really explore Cumbria.
During our stay, we also enjoyed a fabulous Father's Day lunch, cooked by Pat, which was - like all food served at Swanson House - of excellent quality and extremly tasty.
We enjoyed our stay and will certainly come back again!

Room Tip: Odette room is the best choice
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 3 May 2011

This was my first visit to Cumbria, the quaint town of Brough and surrounding countryside. I was picked up at the train station by Phil and Pat Jones the owners of Swanson House. Such a warm and friendly welcome. On the drive to Brough, I was treated to a personalised tour of the beautiful countryside and the many wonderful stories of the area...Look out for the woodland in the shape of a heart and just ask Phil and Pat for the story behind it...

Swanson House used to be a post office and has been converted into a B&B. This simple understated, listed building has been tastefully refurbished to accommodate a B&B with restaurant. I stayed in the twin bedroom which has all the immenities you would expect of a five star hotel...close attention to detail ensures umptuious luxury, modern facilities, mixed with the simple country style of the area...believe me it works incredibly well and looks great, but more importantly is so comfortable!

The food is great! The breakfast is awesome...probably the best full English I have ever had...but on some days I would just have eggs on toast the choice is yours. I was only booked in for bed and breakfast but ended up having dinner most nights...Pat is the main cook and puts together a modern English menu using fresh local ingredients.

In a nutshell, definitely worth a visit! Truly a home away from home in so many ways...Pat and Phil are wonderful hosts incredibly warm and friendly, but run a very professional business...

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Sushi2011London
glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 28 April 2011

We chanced upon Swanson House in 2010 when looking for a coffee and light meal. We were immediately impressed by the quality of the home-made food. So, this April. I was delighted to discover that two Rooms were available on a B&B basis, and we decided to stay over Easter. An Evening Meal is an Option, which unfortunately I could niot take up due to meeting friends in Kirkby Stephen - although I wish I had.
The welcome from Phil and Pat was very friendly and warm from the initial booking right through to when we bade farewell. Nothing was too much trouble. There were lovely little touches like locally-produced top quality toiletries, complimentary home baked cake and a selection of books, games and DVDs for guests.
The breakfast was extensive and used many locally sourced items like the Cumberland Sausage. A full vegetarian option was available. Pancakes were cooked to order for my son. The bread was delicious - I did not ask but presumably home or locally baked.
Several of our larger party eat here during the day and I had similar very positive comments
Phil and Pat work hard to please their Guests and deserve great success with this venture. We shall be returning!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mark-southside
sunderland
Reviewed 7 April 2011

on arrival we was greeted by the mr and mrs jones.
very welcoming.
the room was big and very comfortable bed.
very nice bathroom.
location was quiet and very scenic.
i would recommend to others also great value for money

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank thewife099
Washington, Tyne and Wear
Reviewed 27 March 2011

My wife and I arrived at Swanson House, to be greeted by Pat and Phil.
They showed us to our room, which was the Odette room.

There is only one word I can use to discribe this room and that is "Amazing" I wouldn't class this as a normal rooom its more like a suite! You have a nice wooden king size bed, a two seater sofa and a huge en-suite bathroom with a seperate double shower cubicle.

We were also left a lovely home-made carrot cake, which was light and fresh.

I will definely be staying there again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank agriwash
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brough
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa
#1 of 1 in Nateby
Royal Oak Appleby
Royal Oak Appleby
#1 of 16 in Appleby

Been to Swanson House? Share your experiences!