Hotel El Raizon
TripAdvisor
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 September 2008

I have stayed at Hotel El Raizon twice, in March and June of 2006. I did some mission/humanitarian work in the nearby community of Piedras Quemadas (the barrio a klick down the road towards Masaya, across from the volcano). The hotel was excellent, in my opinion. Yes, the plumbing is substandard by US perspective, but normal for Nicaragua. At least they have a large holding tank so you dont run out of water during the day when the city turns it off (the water in Nicaragua is usually turned off between about 7am and 6pm). In my two month stay in country, the week I spent at the hotel was the most luxurious and the only time I had hot water and AC. The food they cook is great and safe- something to note. The garden is beautiful. In reference to the internet, it is connected to the computer in the lobby/kitchen area. You have to ask to use it, and if you ask in Spanish you are more likely to get a response. A couple of the ladies speak English quite well though. It is a safe area and the walls are pretty high. Something to look for when you are there is the ex-president whose ranch is across the road. I saw his motorcade several times. I would reccomend this hotel hands down to any experienced traveler in Nicaragua. You wont go wrong here!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jairush
Reviewed 31 January 2008

As previously mentioned, this property is located adjacent to the Bridges to Community office and this is where you are put up when you volunteer for one of their service trips (as I did). Although the hotel is certainly better than the conditions one experiences in the field, the hotel is pretty basic and we experienced some problems, including the toilet breaking, a fuse blowing, a meager shower with only cold water, etc. The place, however, was clean and my daughter enjoyed the various animals on the grounds (toucan, baby rabbits, baby chickens). I have no idea about price, but would assume the rooms are quite cheap. We stayed in one with 5 beds which was quite cramped, and another with 3 beds (roomier) (in the newer and nicer section of the hotel). The hotel is on a major road, but there is a large metal gate that blocks out most of the noise. There is also a small store on the premises where you can buy a variety of goods (including beer!). I also heard there was internet access, but I stood by the front desk for about 10 minutes and was completely ignored by all staff, so I gave up on this pursuit. So, in sum, I would say this place is bearable for a night, but don't expect anything other than the bare necessities (if even that).

• Stayed: January 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Fridaysmom
Reviewed 27 November 2007

El Raizon is on the same site as the Bridges to Community Nicaragua headquarters. Bridges houses most of their volunteers there for at least a night and I stayed there as part of a service trip. I thought it was a good, clean, quiet place to stay.

Its not really in an ideal location for siteseeing by foot so I guess you would need a car to see the area from there. Also, its pretty far from the airport. We didn't meet any English speaking staff there so knowing some Spanish would be a good idea.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank dorykoehler
Reviewed 1 September 2007

my visit to hotel raizon was great i went with my boyfriend and we both found peace and quiet out of managua city busy noisy life. the service was 100% excellent it is a family run business they made us feel at home and i would recommend this place to anyone that wants to go to nicaragua.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank 81traveler
A TripAdvisor Member
Armonk, NY
Reviewed 27 April 2005

Convenient location, clean, excellent service, good food

• Stayed: April 2005