“Convenient and clean”

Prince of Wales Pub
Prince of Wales Pub
Ranked #2 of 2 East Cowes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed at The Prince of Wales for a wedding planning weekend due to its convenient location and free parking. The room was a double en suite on the top floor.

The staff were slightly absent, but nice.
The breakfast was accommodating and good value for money.
The room was clean and freshly decorated in a tasteful style.

On the downside, there is a fair bit of road noise and the tea was not restocked. It is not a luxurious resort, but it is convenient, affordable and nice for a weekend away.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Prince of Wales Pub

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I'm not reviewing this as a hotel more as a place to eat/drink.
After a long day on the mainland we returned to East Cowes by bus and decided to call in for a drink and something to eat.
We arrived around half six and were disappointed to find the carvery was closed (it was Wednesday and they advertise their carvery Monday - Saturday!). Having purchased our drinks, which were reasonably priced, we sat at a table in the bar area. After ordering a snack meal (again reasonably priced) we waited to be served. My wife visited the Ladies but found there was no toilet paper in any cubicle and the Male toilet was in a "cabin" in the car park.
The bar area was grubby and the windows looked as though they hadn't been cleaned for months - the bar itself was populated by men whose language was not tempered by the presence of a female.
Our snack was excellent - hot and tasty but I regret that the overall ambiance of the place doesn't make a return trip likely.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Will S
Reviewed 12 May 2014

An interesting B and B/pub - connections to Osborne house in the room names. Nice decor. Stayed one night as doing the Walk the Wight the next day. Staff helpful as we were leaving very early in the morning so made sandwiches for us the night before, which were very much appreciated. Room had tv, tea, coffee, hot chocolate. Although it was in a pub, I did not hear any noise, even though my room overlooked the smoking area. Would recommend if looking for reasonably priced accommodation.

Room Tip: Very nicely prepared rooms with tv. Mine was a single - room enough to move around and ensuite was s...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Trish N
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed at the Prince of Wales over May bank holiday weekend. The rooms are beautifully decorated and a great position for Osborne House and public transport into Ryde and Newport. Bus stops are right outside. I can not fault the food, the breakfast was the best I had ever tasted. If you are a light sleeper ask for room at the back as the road at the front is very busy, even at night. The staff are very friendly but there seems to be a lack of management. Lots of workers with no one at the helm. Someone needs to be in overall charge of the cleaners especially to check rooms after them. Other than that a great place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back for a quiet nights sleep
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We had a short stay of four nights here. The bedroom, although small, was well decorated but unfortunately it was on the front of the hotel on a very busy main road and there was no double glazing, it was very noisy. If you intend staying here, ask for a room at the back! We had clean towels every day but the waste bin in the bathroom and the one in the bedroom were never emptied for the entire time we were there!
The most disappointing part of the stay was the lack of space in the bar to have a drink in the evening and the rather chaotic breakfast routine. I never want a cooked breakfast but like a glass of decent orange juice, some cereal/fresh or dried fruit and some toast/bread with butter and jam. There was no one person in charge of the orders in the breakfast room but several people including the chef sometimes! The cereal seem to be a major problem, nobody working there ever seemed to know what they had in store. There was no menu and no table with little boxes of cereal for us to choose from and no fruit or bread. I settled for Special K on the first day (there was no Muesli) but next day that had all gone and was never replaced. Once I was offered the choice from four small boxes, Coco Pops or Corn flakes or two other cereals which were very sweet. The toast was like cardboard and completely tasteless! There were never more than two or three other people in for breakfast with us so there was never any pressure on the staff.
I do appreciate that the price of the Bed and Breakfast was not very high but I would never go back there. With better organisation and better bread the breakfast could have been better!
The people working there were very pleasant and were doing their best but seemingly without any guidance.
A very convenient place for a visit to Osborne House.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Have just returned from my visit to the POW and thought I would write while my recollections were fresh in my mind. What most struck me was the exceptional value for money my accommodation was if travelling on a budget in a single, impeccably clean room with very helpful and friendly staff. The rooms were much more nicely furnished to what I was expecting for the price that I had paid. There is also the added benefit of its excellent transport links (bus literally outside the pub) with easy connections to Ryde and Newport and Osborne House is literally on the doorstop. This pub due to its location has huge potential and I would perhaps suggest that by charging a little extra (which I would have been happy to pay) they might consider beautifying the beer garden a little with at least some greenery and a rethink about the pub lounge - its decor of which was a little dated and did not go side to side with the very good accommodation level. I might also consider more variation to the pub meals but breakfast was tasty.

What mostly set this apart from other B&Bs was its very friendly staff and I would come here again.

Regards

Rachel

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ruffle123
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed at this Pub / Hotel for a weekend in late March 2014. The primary reason was convenience for visiting Osborn House having travelled to the I O Wight by public transport.
The bedrooms and hallway had been recently renovated; the bedroom and en suite bathroom were clean and well presented and perfectly adequate for a short break. We found the owner / staff to be friendly and helpful. The bar area could be improved with continuation of the refurbishment and was busy with Sky Sports attracting trade.

The premises are located on a fairly busy road with a bus service running late at night, which did cause some transient noise

The price included breakfast with a full English breakfast freshly cooked - alternatively a continental option [cereal & toast] is available.

Overall the facilities and location - 5 minute walk to Osborn House : 10 minute walk to central East Cowes / Marina - represented value for money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
North House
North House
#2 of 5 in Cowes
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to Prince of Wales Pub? Share your experiences!