“"BIG DISAPOINTMENT"”

Angaga Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Angaga Island
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Arrived on angaga with not the usual welcoming of all the other islands we have been to, we was taken to reception to fill out forms and given what i can only discribe as water with a slice of lemon in it as a welcome drink.
We was then taken to our lovely room to find the view from the patio doors amazing as we like a nice view of the ocean instead of being behind to much foliage, but unfortunately when we went outside to see the beach
you could only see sandbags below a steep drop the ocean has washed away all the beach in that area, i know this is not the islands fault and its very sad but all the new quests get put in these rooms and after spending any amount of money you would like to think that you have
your own little bit of beach outside your room, they was very good however and moved us the next day to the other side of the island, this room we thought was better with a little bit of beach for our sun beds however after a couple of hours on our beds we soon found out that this was not so good either, we was enjoying the sun with our ipods on only to be overcome with the waves coming up over us, so now we had the problem of worrying and not being able to relax in fear of our ipods and kindle getting damaged by water, after 5 days they agreed to move us again this time to a room that in our opinion was one of the best on the island with a lovely view and nice bit of beach that we could relax on.
There did seem to be alot of room changing on the island.

The first night we thought the food was ok 'not the best we have had but soon realised that every night was more or less the same apart from the potatoes being a little different on the odd night, i'm a veggie and for me there wasn't much choice, yes there was pasta, potatoes veg and salad but the salad was very samey every night mainly different coleslaws, my hubby is a meat eater and there was beef, lamb and chicken every night but what we think wasn't eaten on one night was served the next night in a chinese special or curry.
The soup we think was like a packet soup and the breads well not the usual choice.

Desserts.
They was the biggest disappointment they consisted of either deep fryed banana/apple, tiny bits of cake, tiny bits of jelly and cheese and biscuites and it was the same every night, we didn't even bother in the end.
We had problems for the first couple of nights with the bar bills as they was charging us for drinks on half board and we was half board plus but after a couple of nights we did finally get it sorted out, you are not made aware of what you are really entitled to we had to find every thing out for ourselfs the quest relations is non existant really.
Service for drinks is so slow its untrue we was waiting nearly 30 mins on a few occastions.
Breakfast time they made one big pot of tea and coffee and used the same pot of tea or coffee until it was empty so if you came in 20 mins or so after it was made thats what you got ( cold or luke warm ) and didn't get a hot one unless you was lucky enough to of got one when it had just been made.

Staff.
Some never seemed to be really happy, only after we had been their for nearly a week did they start to say hello and ( have we had a good day), not the usual maldivian hospitalty that we have been used to, the bar staff was a little more friendly, but never really seemed to go that extra mile.
On our last night they did a BBQ for all the quests but it was only when my hubby asked what they was doing on the beach that we got told it was a meal on the beach and it starts at eight. not very good comunication really.

Trips.
If you go on a boat trip make sure you take plenty of water for yourself because you are only given one little bottle of water, as we found out after 4.5 hours on a boat and not being able to get of for a swim.

Bill.
Make sure you have very new notes to pay your bill as we soon found out that they WONT except old looking notes and yet we was tipping well with these notes and was not refused once.

I know that what one likes will not perhaps suit others but this is my honest opinion of the island and our experience.
So to sum angaga up a very pretty island good house reef but for us thats just about it really.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank maldives_Addict97
Haneef M, General Manager at Angaga Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Thank you very much for the comments, we have highly noted all the points and will consider.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

We’ve just got back from 2 weeks on Angaga – our 7th trip to the Maldives but our first at this time of year (July). We’ve always been in March previously but thought we’d give the rainy season (and cheaper prices!) a go. There were very few English on the island but a lot of Germans & Japanese. Everyone was pleasant but some were more willing to chat than others. English is always used to communicate.
Weather
For the first time ever we flew into Male in low cloud & missed the stunning views of the atolls. It was hot but drizzly, windy & grey. This was really what we expected at this time of year but nevertheless it was disappointing as we are normally so wowed by the amazing colours. The British-style dismal weather continued for the first couple of days & we spent our time reading under the shelter of our veranda. It was relaxing but we did miss the beauty & the urge to wallow in the turquoise sea. In fact, I think we both thought we’d be off to Europe next summer. Anyway, the sun eventually emerged and we had a few days of heavy (& sudden!) rain interspersed with glorious sunshine. The wind remained, which made the sea choppy but it also made it much more pleasant when the sun came out. And our last 5 days were wall-to-wall sunshine! On a particularly stormy evening, we watched an in-coming sea-plane circle the island a few times & abort 2 landings before eventually coming down in a rather unconventional area of the lagoon. There must have been 50 people out on the beach, willing the pilot good luck. It was then a bit of a challenge getting the passengers transferred to the pontoon and then the dhoni. This was particularly tense as we’d heard that a seaplane had sunk at Conrad the previous day, when the wind & rough seas buffeted it into the pontoon. Nobody was hurt. Worrying about the weather is ridiculously stressful – there’s always that anxiety that the poor weather will be as good as it gets. I know that people will say that ‘you’re still in the beautiful Maldives/paradise’ but, for us, the beauty of the colours in the sunshine is really important.
The Island/Rooms
We’d been to Angaga before & had emailed a room request based on our experience in March 2010. We were happy to be allocated 128 – until we saw how the island had changed shape with the tides (something we’d read about before but hadn’t experienced). The wide beach was gone & this part of the island (between rooms 120-128) was under threat by the rough seas. Outside our room there was very little beach (not even enough for our sunbeds) &, when the tide was in, the water was coming right across our veranda in quite an alarming way. It was interesting to see at first hand the desperate situation that the staff were in as they tried to limit the damage with sandbags & a rope to tie up a beautiful overhanging palm tree. It was not a pretty sight but they had to do something as a matter of urgency. They had our sympathy. By the end of our holiday this small area looked like a war zone but I think they’d halted the damage. Although we were told that this was the worst erosion they’d ever had to deal with, they were hopeful that the sand would be repositioned when the winds change. Let’s hope so. We gave it a couple of days then asked to move – we ended up in 109, which was calmer & prettier. The rooms are large & simple – no frills but comfortable. I walked into the corner of the enormous bamboo bed frame every time I got up in the night! The shower in our first room was rather a feeble one – we noticed the difference when we changed rooms. With hindsight, we should have mentioned this at the time but we thought they must all be the same.
Restaurant
The food was a little disappointing, especially in terms of veggie options. Desserts (particularly the crepes) & fruit were wonderful but the salads were always very similar (but tasty) and the main courses lacked my beloved curries! Breakfast was always good. We were on HB so had a snack/fruit platter in the bar for lunch – this worked well for us. We were amazed by the huge number of smokers & feel it’s worth pointing out that the restaurant has a smoking area (bizarrely, this is closest to the food) & 2 smoke-free zones. We didn’t realise this & were put in the smoking zone.
Staff
Generally friendly – some exceptionally so and some a little dour. All men, except for the spa ladies.
Spa/Leisure
The spa was great & all the ladies were delightful. I had 3 massages for a deal price of $180 + taxes. In terms of leisure, there is very little to do, apart form the obvious attractions of beach/sea. There were a few trips but, apart from the night fishing for Mr Mexi, we didn’t do any. One night, a very good band played in the bar – it was a lovely evening & great for people-watching! There were plenty of books in the library.
Snorkelling
On the calmer, sunnier days, it was amazing. We saw two turtles and a sizeable (4 ft?) white-tipped shark one day. The reef is great at Angaga – easily accessible and teeming with fish. On our last full day, there was an invasion of jellyfish – little purple blobs washed up all along the shore on one side of the island so everyone had to stay out of the water there. These little things have incredibly long tails/tentacles – some were about 4 ft long and so thin they were almost invisible. That’s how I got one wrapped round my leg – and it hurt! Our waiter had been in the water cleaning the reef the previous day and he’d also been stung. I’m sure we weren’t the only ones.
Stars & Phosphorescence
On a clear night we used to lie on the beach & just gaze at the amazing stars – we saw several shooting stars & found it magical. We also found that by kicking the sand gently along the water’s edge on a dark night, we could see the phosphorescence.
Next Year?
Of course, by the end of the holiday, with the sun shining, we were talking about booking again for next year! Thoughts of Greece were fading.... We love the Maldives & if I’ve seemed at all negative it’s only because I wanted to point out that expectations should be realistic to avoid disappointment. Angaga is a beautiful, simple, natural island (with some temporary erosion) & I’m sure we will be back.

Room Tip: No point in recommending rooms as the beaches move dramatically according to season. You can always...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Mexi

Thank you very much for the review with complements.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

My boyfriend and I have just returned from 2 fabulous weeks on the beautiful island of Angaga! What a special place this is. The island is very small indeed; you can walk round it leisurely in 12 minutes! The grounds are immaculately kept, the beach and ocean is everything you could imagine from the Maldives and due to the small number of guests you very often feel the only ones there! The first week the resort was around 60% capacity – most of the time you were the only ones in the bar, walking around and even snorkeling! The second week they were 100% full, you couldn’t feel it until dinner time – where all those people came from every night I will never know! The island is majority German with a smattering of Japanese and a tiny proportion of English.

WEATHER
What do you expect in June/July – the Indian Ocean Winter? Well it was 30degrees most of the time and feels very humid. It is monsoon season, and while we were away it did rain about 30% of the time. It rains for about 30minutes and takes a few hours for the clouds to clear and for it to feel back to normal (some nights it will rain all night). For some days it was overcast and brought a stuffy/humid feeling but you’re on holiday! Just relax, sit on the swing outside the room (big enough for two people) and watch the best tropical thunderstorm of your life while you keep nice and dry. The rain also sifts up the plankton – the hours after the thunderstorm will bring you some of the best snorkeling!

HALF-BOARD PLUS vs ALL INCLUSIVE
Is there a difference between the two board basis? Not at all! Half board plus was a chance finding from another review on trip advisor. The hotel offers your breakfast, snacks, dinner and ALL drinks included in a half board plus package (you just don’t get lunch) – this greatly affects the price of your holiday if you were planning on going all inclusive! The snacks on the ‘half-board plus’ are lunch! Toasted sandwiches, chips, salad, fruit/butter/chocolate cake twice a day (10-11:30 and 3:00-4:30)! We popped our head into lunch to see what we were missing – not a lot! Most of the AI guests seemed to eat the snacks instead of their own lunch! We booked with ‘away’ holidays who did a good deal and offered half board plus (I note Thomson do not when you book online).

THE ROOM
We stayed in one of the lovely beach rooms. It appears that these are the best bet on the island – the water bungalows are not over a reef and the water is very very choppy – during the Maldivian winter the current is strong by the water bungalows. We didn’t see anyone swim out from their water bungalow in 2 weeks – they all converged on the other side of the island for the snorkelling (there are a number of beds set aside for this). The beach rooms are simply furnished but pristine. There is a walk-in wardrobe and lots of storage space. We found the bed uncomfortable but that is a personal preference – it’s okay if you like squidgy pillows and a very hard mattresses. The open air bathroom is a delight at times and a curse at others. Our room had giant ants walking around it most of the time, and we baby geckos living about our toilet but its all part of the experience. The rooms have a back door which takes you straight into the ‘wet-room’ part of the bathroom so you can get the sand off your feet. There are no English channels – but a good selection of French and German. There is one film channel (Indian channel but showing English movies with subtitles) and one Chinese News station that spoke English – but when all is said and done who comes to the Maldives to sit inside and watch the television? As far as we were concerned the room was lovely, romantic and right on our own private stretch of beach! The room boy was lovely; he kept the room immaculate, sweeping the sand away every morning and night. Tea/coffee making facilities and hairdryer all included. The plug socket in the Maldives is the English 3 pin (so no need to take an adapter). The room actually comes with an international adapter so if you are not from the UK and forget one don’t worry! The room also has a torch and umbrellas. I would recommend bringing your own torch – it does get quite dark on the beach at night, and we used to enjoy a 9pm walk on the jetty to spot the sharks around the reef on both jetties!

THE FOOD
I don’t understand how any reviewer can moan about the food? Were you actually at Angaga? For a tiny island in the middle of the Indian Ocean, with a maximum capacity of 140 guests I was shocked and flabbergasted every day at the array of food! Zakid (I think that is his name) prepares the most amazing ‘made-to-order’ beef steak EVERY night, as well as lamb and duck! It was cooked to perfection every night; the lamb was pink inside, the steak was mouth-watering and tasted perfect! If the manager is reading this, I know he was your employee of the month last month – but that man is incredible! Any London restaurant would hire him in an instant! In fact every chef was amazing! Sebastin worked so hard in the morning preparing pancakes and eggy bread etc, and was always smiling! Delicious. The pastry chef who made 100s of deserts, cakes as well as fritas every nights was always so friendly, and what a talent he has! There is the most beautiful fresh fish every night!! You are in the Maldives, how can you complain about the fish!! The best I have ever had. Every night there was new food, something different to try and I never went hungry! I put on 7pounds in 2 weeks and I don’t regret it for a second because the food was incredible! My advice is not to fill your plates up the first few days with a bit of everything, but pace yourself over the 2 weeks – be adventurous and try new things, be open-minded - try the chapatti at breakfast and the Maldivian vegetables at night. Our waiter – Rifuath (I hope I spelt that correctly) is amazing! If the manager is reading this, this gentleman deserves the employee of the month. He worked so hard to ensure all his tables had drinks, remembered everyone’s preferences and orders, smiled and never had a day off while we were there! When our sea plane left at 6am he was there at 5am serving us tea and coffee. The employees here get one day off a week only, but they save them all up so they can go home for a fortnight or month at a time. Many are working 11months straight without a day off.

The bar staff are also incredible. In fact everybody working there is. They remember your room number, smile and are so kind! The staff are an absolute credit to the resort! There are over 100 cocktails to try (all on half board plus)! There is band night every Friday night – wow wow wow! Such a talent, it was great to dance and listen to such a great selection of music! There is something for everyone and they even do requests. The coconut spa girls are so lovely; they are from Bali and have husbands/children back home they haven’t seen for years – but they always smile and work so so hard! I had a fantastic pedicure, much better than anything I could have had in England. I graduated as a doctor the week we came back, and my toes looked beautiful as I went to collect my degree – thank you ladies!

TRIPS
As this is a very small island (with a maximum of only 140 guests) you can see how the excursions they run would be fairly limited. The reception have lists of trips which you can sign up to, each has a minimum amount of people needed – very often trips are cancelled as they require over 6-8people. We didn’t see the ‘island hopping’ or ‘underwater restaurant’ happen, as they were always cancelled.

We did the whale shark snorkelling trip, which was around $70 each for the morning. Granted we didn’t see a whale shark but those boat boys tried jolly hard! We did, however, see dolphins from the boat and did some snorkelling- it was a great morning out so cannot really complain. You always need a reason to return don’t you? The whale shark is our unfinished business!

We had heard a lot about the Indian Ocean being emptied of its fish by massive fishing vessels. If the fishing trip was anything to go by perhaps this is accurate? We did the night-fishing trip twice. The first time nobody (there were 12 of us) on the boat caught anything! 3 hours and not one bite from 12 lines! The BBQ on the beach was just the same food brought out from the restaurant, no flames and no BBQ anywhere. We didn’t appreciate being put on a plastic table of 12 where we were the only ones who couldn’t speak German with no BBQ. Itas a bit of a con! We received a second trip free of charge when we kicked up a bit of a stink – but that took days of back-and-forwarding with the reception staff and manager (see below). The next time they took us to a different site – but again only 3 fish were caught with 10 people fishing for 3 hours! My boyfriend caught a barracuda - so you win some you lose some! I did this trip a few years ago at another resort where everyone on the boat caught at least 1 or 2 fish, so it was a drastic difference. It is something my boyfriend was really looking forward to – learning to fish from possibly the world experts (the Maldivian boat staff) but this trip fell short of our expectations. The staff at reception are very polite and courteous, but I was disappointed that on more than one occasion when I asked to speak to the manager he would not come out – it seemed he would let his reception staff take the heat from disgruntled guests. I asked on several occasions to see the manager to talk about the fishing trip but on every occasion the reception staff acted as a go between on our negotiation for some goodwill gesture. It does genuinely concern me that I could not talk to the manager when I wanted (3 days and many conversations and not once he came out). This mirrors another manager on another Maldivian island I visited a few years ago – that time for a more serious matter – but it always concerns me when management will not speak to their paying guests and let other members of staff pick up the pieces. It appears that managers are quite elusive and it does trouble me that if something serious were to occur they would leave it to the reception staff to sort out.

The snorkelling trip is free if you are on all inclusive/half board plus – but they take you to a reef that is know where near as fabulous as the house reef at Angaga. It also goes to the paradise lovers islands so you encroach on that trip! Which brings me to my next point – do not book the paradise lovers island trip unless you want snorkelling boats from about 2-3 different resorts turning up at various points in the day. After the snorkelling trip we decided against booking this romantic excursion – not as idealistic as you probably imagined!

DIVE SCHOOL
The dive school is run by the Padi approved company ‘Sub Aqua’ which is run by a German team led by Jochen. Yes this is a great dive school, well equipped and well organised with very obvious linguistically skilled instructors, but I feel it lacked something of personality that other dive schools in the Maldives possess. If you are a hardcore diver with over 200 dives to your name that is looking to dive every day then this is the resort for you! If you are newly qualified or relatively inexperienced then maybe look elsewhere if you are planning on diving quite a lot in Maldives. My boyfriend and I are both Padi open water and I have 10 previous dives in the Maldives (15 dives total). We both did the appropriate check dive in the house reef and after a discussion with the instructor regarding our buoyancy and air consumption we did a second dive in the house reef (where this did improve). We were told that it would be appropriate for us to improve our confidence in the house reef with more dives before we ‘attempted’ any boat dives. I was actually a little put out by this after having done boat dives already in the Maldives and my air consumption and buoyancy never really being a problem. It is when I took a closer look at the dive sites the school run every day that realised why this suggestion was made. The dive sites are posted at 2:30pm every day for people to sign up to, one in the morning and one in the evening - you cannot pre-empt if you want to dive – you sign up the afternoon before and that’s it. From what I gather these dives looked quite challenging – wrecks and tilas with overhangs – and the blurb on most dives seemed to have wording like ‘quick descent and fast equalising compulsory’, or similar expressions, which gave an air of difficulty – not for us Open Water folk who just wanted to experience a few dives sites in the Maldives. Actually on closer inspection the type of wildlife that you were expected to see were not too dissimilar to what you see on the house reef (see below). In fact it can be argued that the dive sites each day didn’t stack up to what the house reef was like. My boyfriend and I went on one boat dive, the headline of which was ‘an easy divesite’. We explained we are relatively inexperienced and would maybe need some guidance (it was my boyfriend’s first ever boat dive), after all that is what you expect from a dive ‘school’ – but it was like a military exercise of who get off the boat and descend the fastest! We would have had no chance on other dives, and that was after telling the instructor to please keep a bit of an eye on us! There was no comradery on the boat, no laughter or excitement – the atmosphere was stale. My partner and I were so excited to see turtles but our guide was more interested in showing us a flatworm than letting us observe the turtles. It was also interesting that our ‘air consumption’ on the house reef was called into question and yet our boat dive was cut short when another very experienced gentleman had 35bar remaining while my boyfriend and I still had 100bar! If you do not own your own equipment expect to pay around $85/dive. It costs $15 for every boat trip too ($20 for the whole day) and this soon adds up. Other resorts tended to run 2 boats at a time, one challenging dive site and another boat where you could tag along with the referral divers or something a bit lighter/easier. This probably isn’t possible on such a small island. We were not too disgruntled though - you don’t need to look past the end of your nose and we were more than happy to just snorkel on the house reef once we saw what it offered! We spoke to one lady who dived 19 times the two weeks we were there and moaned she hadn’t seen a white tip reef shark – we saw 4 in one day on the house reef!! Please note the dive school no longer run ‘manta point’ dive site. They run a whale shark trip every 10 days or so. This consists of two dives on a full day excursion. If you don’t have your own equipment this works out at about $250 each! Of course there is no guarantee and they claim you may get to dive with manta rays instead so it could be worth it (depending on the price tag you put on the chance to dive with these lovely animals). We didn’t do this trip, mainly because we were worried about hindering other divers and felt the dive school potentially viewed us a little bit of dead weight (also that is a hefty old bill – they have you hooked because they know how special the whale sharks are!). I haven’t been too complimentary about the dive school and this wasn’t in any way meant to be a complaint; the instructors are all very nice, especially the dive instructor who helped us with our buoyancy and air consumption on the house reef, and we very much enjoyed the 3 dives that we did. On our budget and experience level maybe we expected too much – if money is no object, you are an experienced diver who is planning on diving every day then this is the place for you! We will treasure those memories of diving in the Maldives forever.

…….which leads me nicely onto the thing that makes Angaga so so special

HOUSE REEF
My boyfriend and I must have snorkelled upwards of 4 hours a day every day on the house reef! It is amazing! I have been to 2 other resorts in the Maldives ‘Meedhupparu’ and ‘Chaaya Lagoon’ – they do not come close! 1000s of beautiful fish and magnificent coral. Something new every day! One day we snorkelled with a turtle for 40 minutes, it surfaced 3 times and let us swim with it – what a precious memory….and then the next day the same thing happened again! One overcast day the reef had an eery feeling to is…and then we saw 4 white tip reef sharks and octopus swimming metres from us (they are so unthreatening and beautiful to watch)! There is an eagle ray that lives on the reef (we used to see it from the jetty) and I think one of the dive instructors said 3 turtles and a nursing shark call the house reef their home. You will see 1000s of fish every day – the most enormous parrot fish you have ever seen, surgeon fish which will become normal after a day or two and just the most amazing colours you could ever imagine. If you look into the deep you can see massive blue trevally patrolling the ocean and sometimes diving through schools of fish. From what you get on the dives you get for free on the house reef. We loved our morning walks on all three jetties! We saw nursing sharks and reef sharks every day from the water bungalow jetty (they go to sleep under the rocks at night there!) and after a while the 10 or so stingrays you see every day from the water bungalow jetty become almost ordinary! I recommend buying an underwater camera in the UK for the house reef (a digital one that only needs to go to 3 metres or so). We picked a camera up for around £100 and came back with three 8gb memory cards full of video and pictures of the underwater world – priceless memories.

THE FUTURE?
It was with great sadness that I saw how the power of the ocean is destroying the Maldives. There is a stretch of around 10 rooms were the waves are wearing away the island and encroaching on the rooms. Every day the waiters/gardeners/barstaff would fill sandbags and lug them to the eroded part of the island to try and stop the erosion– one day they must have shifted over 15tons. Maybe it is the time of year and the direction of the current and ocean, but I fear for this island in the future – is it soon to have a wall within the next few years? I hope not, if the strength of those trying to protect it is anything to go by I am sure Angaga has a few years left in it yet!

Thank you for reading what has turned out to be quite a long review! On a final note I would like to add that holidays are what you make of it and actually what you like or dislike sometimes rely on who you are with as much as anything. If you can have a giggle with your loved one and let the little things go (there really isn’t any need to take a picture of a fly at dinner or a mouldy bathroom tile and post them on here!) you will have a wonderful time. I cried as the seaplane took off to take me back to reality. I ploughed through so many reviews and found that actually the best thing to do is take everything with a pinch of salt. This is the Maldives. It is beautiful. It is paradise. Go and be amazed – holidays are the best time of our lives – this is the place to be!

Room Tip: The beach bungalows are better suited than the water bungalows
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
24  Thank Rachiecakes

Thank you very much for the review. Will consider every single points indicated.

Reviewed 11 May 2012

Visited Angaga in Dec 2011, we have visited six different islands so far and for us this is the best yet. A beautiful small island that is mostly German and a lovely atmosphere. Our first night was spent in a garden room due to overbooking but it was pleasent enough and we had a basket of fruit and a bottle of wine free of charge, it was close to the Gym which a few people were making use of (we didn't). The beach rooms are clean and comfortable with a swing on the terrace, only a few steps away from the beach, tea and coffee making facilities were very much appreciated with various fruit teas available, we were in room 146 which was close to the dive school, a plus for us, however, any room was not that far away. The house reef is amazing, the corals and fish life were awesome, from nemo's to sharks and all inbetween. The Dive School was friendly and very professional with the diving being as awesome as ever in the maldives. The food was good and varied, something for everyone's taste, couldn't complain at all. We have booked to go back again this December which i think say's it all.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Bernese

Thank you very much for the review with complements.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Returned on 21st.March after 2 weeks on Angaga Island. This was our 3rd holiday in the Maldives and Angaga was the perfect paradise.Hot sun, white sand,blue lagoon what more could you ask for. We stayed in a water bungalow and had amazing Ocean life visiting our steps, sharks, rays,trigger fish and even the turtle made a call. The room was kept spotless by our room boy Haaris.The food was very good ,hot, well cooked and plenty of choice. We received excellent service from our waiter Shariff he was very helpful and friendly. Angaga is a fantastic little island we would recommend it to everyone.It's a perfect place to practise "the art of doing nothing". Thanks for the memories that will last for ever can't wait to return to PARADISE.

Room Tip: As you look at the water bungalows from the approach walkway, you need a bungalow on the LEFT to get...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Chris D
Angaga1, General Manager at Angaga Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Thank you very much for the complements and will try to improve as always.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

If you are visiting Angaga for the first time you will be more than happy. We flew out with Thomson from Manchester direct flight and no dramas.(Although this year that flight has been discontinued so got to fly from Gatwick RUBBISH) Any way to the Island paradise with a capital 'P' As normal the staff are fantastic. This was our third visit to this Island we have been to several other Islands but this one ticks all the boxes for us. Quite, small, glorious white sand all the way round the Island. So you can walk all the way round with out having to go inland. Evening entertainment consists of a live band once a week. So if its night life you want not the place for you. The restaurant staff are great a big big hello to you all and can't wait to see you all again this year. We had a beach bungalow on the lagoon side of the Island as requested. The rooms are slowly being modernised and are basic but have everything you require. I believe the beds have had softer mattresses so that is a blessing.
The food in the restaurant is always fresh and with plenty of choice. We did the excursion of swimming with whale sharks amazing experience and well worth the money. We swam with 3 of them. The snorkelling on this island is second to none the house reef seems to go on for ever.Honestly I can't say enough good things about this Island and the staff.
If you have any questions I will be more than happy to answer them for you.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but lagoon side gets the sun all day but be warned the sun is very powerful so it...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank bazzzaus

Thank you very much for the complements and We Angaga Team always welcome to you and assure that you will enjoy with us at Angaga with our Team.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

My teenager and I stayed here after a very last minute booking. (3 days before) We didn't know quite what to expect but we were pleasantly surprised. The beach is gorgeous and the snorkeling right outside our room was spectacular. We saw a huge variety of fish. We have snorkeled extensively in the Carribean and never have we seen so many fish. So if you want to come to a tropical paradise this is it. However, if you want to come to an island with a good vibe and an upbeat, lively atmosphere this is not the place. It felt like we had the beach to ourselves most of the time. Even at dinner where you see the most amount of people, it still seemed so unnaturally quiet. We both enjoyed the food at breakfast and dinner; there is a large variety of well prepared food. We were very happy with our beach villa, it was very comfortable but not in a over the top way.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank momfrompr

Thank you very much for the complements

Been to Angaga Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!