“Good value”

Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The value for your dollar was good. The staff were really wonderful. Although you don't go to Cuba for the food, my friends and I agreed there is such a thing as "decent" food in Cuba and we really didn't have that. We went next door to Brisas for a dinner one night and it was 5 times better than Gran Club - way more variety and more fresh veggies, etc.
The beach was very nice, although it was a little tough on the feet getting into the water. We made sure one of us always had a role of toilet paper on hand, because you would often find yourself in a bathroom, with none. I would recommend you carry one, just so you're always prepared. The only bad thing I would say about this resort, is the fact that my swimsuit was stolen off my balcony the night before we left and I was not the only victim. Was it a staff member? Was it another vacationer? Was it someone who should not have been on the resort? I don't know. Just be sure NOT to leave your personal belongings outside unattended and then you'll be fine.

All-in-all, great vacation, great staff. Be sure to go offsite for the lobster dinner - it was amazing. Good value for the dollar

Room Tip: We stayed in row 200's. Close to everything. Upgrade to the junior suite, it doesn't cost mu...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chery K

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned from Gran Club and my reviews are mostly similar to others. I'm rating a three based on the following things: most of the washrooms on site have little to no soap or toilet paper. The a la carte had no soap or toilet paper both nights we were there and the pool bar washroom had soap one out of the seven days. I guess just go in the pool like everyone else? A lot of things are broken around the resort and have been for quite some time. A number of lights were either broken, tilted or just missing on the walking paths, benches busted for obviously a long time. Half of the sun huts at the beach had no palm tree leaf cover so couldn't be used. However, the week we were here they painted - and painted a lot throughout. On to the rest...the food was very much the same everyday, except the last day which was a special meal. Careful of the ham looking stuff that makes up a majority of the breakfast. It read "preserved meat". I read "spam". I have stayed at worse for food but definitely better as well. The room was a junior suite. All in working order, sort of. The A/C tried all week but struggled. Bring your own shampoo and shower gel. They provided one small sampler of each and was not replaced after it ran out day 2. The internet at the lobby was slow but worked at $6/hr. No complaints. The staff we found very friendly and efficient. The best we have seen in Cuba. The resort towels are a catastrophe. People stealing towels left right and center, especially on Tuesdays before everyone goes home. If you get resort beach towels and lose them its $25 CUCs each. Go and complain to the sunwing rep and their advice is to just pay the $25. Seems fishy. But on Tuesday there were a lot of upset guests. We brought our own towels thank goodness. Bring a large mug for your drinks. The small plastic cups they use are two big gulps of beer and done. Tip them and tip them all. Its only a few bucks but makes a big difference. Don't think it does? Walk into town on foot and look around. Its safe but a good reminder of life outside the pool and buffet. Would I go back? Likely. Would I recommend? Sure, but hold your towel tightly and bring your own cup, soap and toilet paper, everywhere.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Motorbragg
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed at the Gran Club Santa Lucia from March 26 - April 2, 2014. We traveled as two couples from Montreal (drove there from Ottawa, since it's cheaper than flying out of YOW). Awesome flight times (1030am out of Montreal, and landed back in Montreal at 9pm on our return).

We've been to Cuba 7 times before, never to this resort though, so here are our thoughts:

PRO's
- Huge rooms, renovated bungalows on the beach side of the resort (we stayed in rooms 208 and 2011). One room was ground floor which was what they asked for, and ours was second floor which has a lovely view of the ocean... didn't pay more for upgraded rooms, they just gave us standard rooms and they rocked. Not sure about other side of resort- we heard they weren't as nice...
- Lots of activities, amazing staff and beautiful grounds (very well maintained)
- Bars make fancier drinks than other resorts I've been to, wider selection
- NO BUGS AT ALL! YAY!
- Best food we've had... always a pasta bar (standard most places), but also a grill that had roast beef, pork chops, turkey, etc. It was so yummy!
- A la carte restaurants were all delicious
- Several day trip options, although we chose not to do any sine we've done them all before
- Faster internet than other resorts and only 6 CUC/hour which is less than I've paid elsewhere
- Free bikes you can use whenever you want to ride into town or around the area
- POOL was super clean and perfect temperature, not loads of shade but it's so nice
- AMAZING nightly entertainment and shows, never seen so many people come to watch the shows before

CON's
- Towel service was not open for very long (more inconvenient, but not a deal breaker)
- Leaving the resort to go to airport was a bit stressful because there was only one crowd that arrived and left together (plus a few small groups who showed up during the week but mostly Wed-Wed travelers) so it was very pushy getting a spot on the first of two buses to go to airport --> not resorts fault, just a comment
- Beach bar was a bit disappointing but the buffet made up for it
- Beach itself was pretty seaweed filled when it was windy (but again, that's just the way it is on the Atlantic side of Cuba vs Carribean) so it'll be that way most places along this side

Hope this helps! I've added some photos, we were really happy and are already planning our trip back! I've never returned to a resort before, but this place rocked.

Room Tip: Totally worth the money- try to get rooms close to the ocean side VS road side!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mellw00d
Reviewed 12 April 2014

First of all, I would like to thank all of the staff for their hard work and making our trip even more memorable.

The week of April 2-9 I travelled with my son (3 year old) and my friend with her two children (4 and 6). I must say that our trip was better than expected. There was lots to do and the staff were always around greeting the children and offering them fun activities to do. Below is a list of pros and cons based on our experience. Although the cons are not negative if you come with an open mind and make the best of it.

Staff
The staff was incredible and went above and beyond to make you feel welcomed, safe and tried their best to make you laugh. The gardeners kept the grounds looking fantastic at all times. The gardeners offered to bring you coconuts and Aloe Vera plants if they thought you were burned or just in general if you wanted. They also educated you on how to use the plant such as: let the yellow liquid seep out of the plant for 15 minutes before you apply aloe to your skin. The entertainment staff was fantastic with the kids.They did everything they can to get them involved during the children shows and also during the day. Especially during peak hours of the day they had plenty of activities and fun games to play in the shaded area for kids and adults.

Nightly Entertainment
Both children and adult shows were fantastic and funny. The staff always encouraged and tried their best to get all the children involved.

Junior Sweet Room
Pros: We requested for a room on the second floor due to bugs or anything else that may crawl in while sliding doors are open. Our rooms were very large with a separate living room. There were sliding doors in the living room and by the beds with a very large balcony. Next time I will most likely get a normal room as we were never in our room. The staff kept our room spotless and made beautiful towel arts on our bed.

-Everything was working great and the water pressure was good too.
-On our last day she offered to keep our rooms open because we had young children. This way we can shower and get ready before we left the resort (no one had to wait as the next guest were arriving late at night. Her offer was sweet to keep our rooms open and for her to clean later).
-Us and many others received safety box key the next morning after breakfast.

Cons:
-No screen doors so we were not able to keep our balcony sliding door open at night.
-We did not have any English channels but that didn't bother us as we only slept at night. Again this is something you can ask help if needed. My friend next door had plenty of English channels.
-No water for mini fridge. We had to get at the bar or buy a bottle of water and refill it throughout the vacation. I purchased two one for going out in the day and the other to stay in the fridge for over night. You can also bring your own water bottles or thermal mugs for drinks.

Restaurants
Pros: We always found something to eat and the food was good. Whenever I asked for something, someone always came back to help. We were never the kind to sit around and wait, because our kids were always on the go so we would help ourselves for most of the stuff (drinks, cutlery, napkins etc..). There was always someone to come and clean up. There was always fresh fruit and vegetables, different types of meat, rice, breads, desserts and plenty for kids.

Cons: There was no juice in the evening besides types of sodas or pop for kids. Breakfast there is all kinds of juice. Tips for young children not drinking pop - fill up a water bottle of juice and keep in refrigerator until dinner, unless you head out to the bars. Again this is nothing that would ruin my trip. We never gone thirsty. There is always something and if not at that location then forsure at another.

Bars
Always were very aware of who came and served us as fast as they can. Never was ignored tip or no tip they were ready to help. Great at remembering what we liked and what our children liked.

Beach
Pros: Beautiful water and white soft sand. There are many spots that are clear of seaweed.

Cons: A lot of seaweed but that's natural in the ocean. The staff tried their best to clear it off the shore every morning. Was not a problem and the kids loved stepping on it (wasn't the typical sticky slimy seaweed very paper like feeling).

Pool
Pros: Always kept clean and the water was nice and cool (never too hot or cold). Water level in the children section was perfect not to deep and not to shallow, as well with the adult section of the pool. I am very short and the water was up to my neck haha. I was able to get to the swim up bar with my child in my hands (I know how to swim, but it was a plus I was able to walk across.)

Over all we had a fantastic vacation with great weather. I would definitely return to this resort. Thank you to all the staff who also went above and beyond to make our vacation greater than it already has.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Mrs_tpatton
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I've been to Cuba a few times looking for that perfect resort I can return to. I think I have found it with this one. The staff were all awesome and attentive, the resort was clean, beach was beautiful (and I've seen some horrible Cuban beaches). I am going back soon and am counting the days. The bad reviews I have read don't seem to be fair. The food at Gran Club was very good-- much better than other places I have been. The rooms were nicer than expected, no bugs, no stains, which is all I can ask for. I think this resort should be higher than a 3.5 star personally.

Don't be afraid to explore outside the resort, the locals are very nice and welcoming. The best real Cuban food is found off resort at the restaurants. So much to see and do.

And finally a warning to all those who haven't been to Cuba, don't be fussy, don't be picky, be relaxed and enjoy yourself and you will have a great time. It's easy to find faults everywhere but I've seen many picky people let little things ruin their trips.

Room Tip: Book a room close to the pool or beach. At peak times you might get stuck across the road which is a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Taylor J
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We returned last wednesday from this hotel. We indeed had a very beautiful stay; the staff and people were very nice and helpful. This is not the first time we have returned to this hotel and certainly not the last. It was alot of fun and the weather, was a huge plus for my family and myself. Another family had joined us as well, and needless to say our friends kids were somehow slightly wounded in the pool (maybe from a sharp object) and a lifeguard named Armando, was there to help the kids and make sure everything was alright. He brought them polysporin, and anything they needed in order to ensure they would be okay. Very helpful and accommodating. When we travel to this resort; it is a relief along with being comfortable to know that all of the staff is loving and welcoming. We will absolutely 100% return to Gran Club, Santa Lucia :).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank lola v
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I want to start off by saying that this was my 7th visit to Gran Club. I was pleasantly surprised to see the continued improvements that are being made by the new management that has been running this resort for the past year!

The beach bar is now completely up and running. The 24hr snack bar is located at the beach bar. The snack bar offers ham and cheese sandwiches, burgers, hotdogs, fries and some fresh veggies and fruit. They usually have a house made salsa type vinegarette that they put on your hotdog or hamburgers.... So good!

They have continued to paint the buildings and you can see they are trying to replant some of the gardens in front of some rooms that had been neglected. They have put a fence up around Pucho (resident flamingo) so that he isn't wandering around the resort anymore. It's for his own safety as he only has one wing and can't get away from certain situations easy enough. They have painted the inside of the fountains and ponds and they were being filled with water on our last day there. Haven't seen these up and running in years! They have also made a break on the beach for sand erosion issues. With this they have put in four wooden walkways to the beach. And for the water problem mentioned in previous reviews we DID NOT have our water turned off once while there. But as you drive down the road you can see that there have been repairs being made to the waterline that runs along the road. That may have been the cause of the water issues? Please remember you are in a third world country where getting what they need for the repairs can take years to get!

We tried the Cuban (lunch availability only) restaurant as well as the seafood restaurant. I have to say I enjoyed the Cuban the best. While down there we were celebrating a friends birthday... One of the managers approached us and arranged a reservation as well as supplied us with a cake. It was a very nice gesture on their part!

The real reason we keep coming back to this resort is the staff! From the waiters to gardeners to bartenders to lifeguards to all the entertainment staff... They are all amazing! Pol, Jorge, Raphael, Ariel, Pluto, Tico, Danny, Virgin and Yadira the place would not be the same without you! Thank you all for the hospitality and friendship you show us time after time!

Room Tip: Do the Jr Suite upgrade! Much better location in the resort! 200 block of rooms are one row off the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 3 in Jibacoa
Melia Las Americas
Melia Las Americas
#5 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)? Share your experiences!