“A good time at a fair price..”

Gran Club Santa Lucia
St. Petersburg, Russia
“A good time at a fair price..”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I decided to try something new in my second trip to Santa Lucia beach with my family, so i booked Gran Club and i was told by the agent that, after the Brisas, the hotel was the most complete one…

The territory is quite big but you can enjoy some walks around..Gardens are well attended and give the resort a real tropical view.

Rooms: I had a junior suite (101) and my mom, aunt and cousin a Family junior suite (304)- guys, wonderful rooms, huge, very clean, and mine with direct sea view, plus both located less than 70 meters.

Food is not the best of its features but it could be worst, and being honest I do not go to a hotel to eat, but to enjoy my staying and for a 100% satisfaction i need very little.. Remember it is a 3 stars hotel BUT i did enjoy all my meals with my family and friends, as I did the assistance of the waiters at the buffet restaurant. Very attentive and most of the time with a smile whilst serving you, which is terrific!

There are two specialized restaurants (at least 2 were opened): Cuban and Italian. We tried the Cuban and was nice for a change, but our Canadian friends weren't that lucky and tried the italian one. They suggested us to rather go to the buffet..lol..

The lobby bar is a must, mainly if the bartender on duty is Mabel - a wonderful lady in her 50's, who's always eager to helping you enjoy a 100% tasty drink accompanied by her smile and jokes.

The beach is not bad itself - sand strip huge, nice dunes, shallow water….negative - seaweed. If you don't like the idea of walking on them, you better take some beach shoes with you.

There were some mosquitoes too , but nothing to worry about, nevertheless I suggest you to take some repellent with you. It won't hurt!!

Try some excursions to Colonial Camaguey, Playa Bonita, etc.. and hey (some very important tip: CATAMARAN IS FREE OF CHARGE..YOU JUST NEED TO GO AND BOOK THE DAY AND TIME YOU'D LIKE TO HAVE YOUR RIDE!!!)

I hope you can enjoy your holidays there the way my family & I enjoyed our stay..

Be positive, successful holidays depend on you..not on the resort you choose..

Room Tip: junior suite (101) or family junior suite (304) located at the very end of the resort, neighboring w...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank RARS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My wife and I stayed one week at the Gran Club Santa Lucia ( June 4- 11 ). It was our first time at a 3 star hotel and prepared ourselves for an adventure meaning that we were not expecting much for the price we paid. However,we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of hospitality, food, entertainment and living quarters. The staff at this hotel always served us with a smile. They want to make sure that you are completely satisfied with your visit, and that also includes gardeners such as Dieviel who will give you some aloe vera for sunburns or bring you a few mangos from his home for you to enjoy. The maid service is impeccable and our maid called Edenia always helped out with a great big smile while working in 30 degree temperature. Yurina is the PR person who is always willing to help out and did a great job accommodating us from beginning to end. These are the unique kinds of people that make your vacation a memorable one. Julio and Pluto were two awesome animators who motivate you to join into the daily activities. They get you to move off your lounge chair and exercise in the water or take dance lessons on the beach. These two animators are always present working 14 hour days and do so with a great big smile. It is very reassuring to be surrounded by such warm and welcoming personnel. Mirtha, the Sunwing representative will also assist you in purchasing excusions. We went horseback riding and had a great excursion at Coco Beach for a lobster dinner with a bonfire and dancing. What it comes down to is an incredible adventure among friendly people, sun, sand and the ocean. It was amazing how many repeat tourists we met, but now fully understand because we will soon return and become one of them. This 3 star resort is a quite a winner for us!!! The food was fine, but don’t expect lobster and shrimp at the price you paid. There is plenty of food at the buffet including a pasta / pizza station, a chicken/ fish / pork station , cold salads, hot dishes and vegetables. Breakfast is also great with a chef who will cook your omlette or eggs as you wish to have them done. The 3 a la carte restaurants were delicious and so was the one night pass to eat next door at the Brisas Hotel. There are drinks included with all your meals and a 24 hour coffee / alcohol bar opened at all times. We ate very well considering what we paid so there are no complaints to be made. There were plenty of beach chairs and pool chairs to choose among without reserving them at 6 in the morning. There were plenty of huts on the beach too for those who seek out the shade. The beach is long so walking was great however the water contains lots of seaweed in certain areas. The Gran Club is a hidden paradise that we discovered and are so very grateful!!! Pamela & Andy

Room Tip: Choose a 2nd floor for more privacy and always remember to tip especially gardeners and maids they a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank ChinaDoll7
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My friend and I decided to return to Gran Club because we knew it was a "sure thing". We never went hungry, our beds were clean, the entire staff was lovely. However there are a few turnoffs.....1) Quebecois eating directly from the buffet!! Get a plate and take it to a table! 2) Gentleman from our flight (YYZ) was hit and killed by a boat. The military came in and and took his remains (everything was hush-hush). 3) prostitutes, prostitutes and more prostitutes....all with shameless Canadian men who treated them like garbage

• Stayed May 2014
7 Thank SeaWaves832
ontario
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

2nd trip to this resort. Absolutely love it. All the staff are amazing especially the Animation team. They even remembered us from a year ago. Pluto Julio and Danny, great guys. We missed BonBon this time. Seriously I have been to many different resorts all over Cuba, and this is by far the best. We stayed in a Junior Suite this time and Definitely recommend this upgrade(even better when it's a free upgrade). Every member of the staff at Gran Club is happy, and smiling all the time. They actually look pleased to have you there, which is a great feeling. There are quite a lot of kitty cats that hang out outside the buffet. We took cat treats from the dollar store and made lots of furry friends too. I really don't know why this hotel is rated 4 out of 4 hotels in Santa Lucia , but if that keeps the price down , it works in our favour. You will not be disappointed with this resort. We will definitely be back again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank farleyw
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Hi all,

This was my 1st visit to Gran Club, Santa Lucia, but definitely not my last! My GF had been here numerous times in the past 12 yrs. I was warned that it is in essence a 3 star hotel and you get what you pay for....but I was pleasantly surprised.

Upon arriving and given our room, we were a bit disappointed as we had initially sent a request for a Junior suite upgrade. The hotel management upon recognizing my GF, immediately upgraded us even further to a single private bungalow. Room 103. It was awesome!

The hotel staff from the cleaners to the gardeners to the bar staff all remembered my GF. She is rather unforgettable in any event! :)

What really blew me away at this resort was the Entertainment team. I have been to many resorts in the Caribbean, some 5 stars as well and have NEVER experienced talent such as I witnessed! The dancers are all incredible and put in countless hours practicing and have an amazing choreographer making it all happen. Every show in the evening was extremely entertaining! The House Band, Covarrubias Son is a group of 5 incredible artists with a beautiful Cuban sound.(We bought their CD) The activity team led by Pluto & Danny are so personable they make everyone want to get involved and I dont tend to involve myself in any of the activities. I found myself going to almost every activity. Although we didnt come with any children, we did observe Julio with groups of children most of the week and he was absolutely amazing with all of them! He takes the worry away from parents who just want to enjoy themselves as well.

I didnt mention that I was also planning on proposing to my GF while here as it has a special place in her heart. When I mentioned this to Edmundo(GM), he assured me he would do his best to make it as memorable as possible. We had made arrangements through one of the dancers to have a seafood dinner at his friends house. This was when and where it happened. So, I advised Edmundo of my plan and when we returned, there were flowers all over the bed, a bottle of champagne and a poem I wrote for her quite some time ago that Edmundo took the time and typed up for me, leaving that on the bed for her as well. I will never forget this man who went out of his way to make that day a VERY special occasion for the both of us! He has also invited us back for a ceremony on the beach which we will likely do after our ceremony at home.

The beach- Excellent!
The food- ok It is Cuba after all.
The room- Excellent!
The weather- Amazing!
The entertainment- Awesome!
The management- Very accommodating & warm!

The one thing I do appreciate about this area is that it may be a very poor region but the staff are so humble, honest and warm hearted you want get to know them. They don't expect handouts unlike many other places I've been to in Cuba. I was happy to give away and leave behind many of our items I didnt think I'd part with as it made us happier to see them happy!

All the reviews say this place is a 3 star, but the way everyone gets treated, the amazing staff, animacion team, dancers, musicians and management makes this resort a 5 star as far as I see it!

I have made friends here and now it is a bit more memorable for the both of us. We will definitely be returning.

Oh.....she did say "YES" by the way!

Room Tip: We were upgraded my the Hotel management to room 103 which is a private bungalow right on the beach.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Grant B
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was my fifth trip to cuba and my fourth trip to Gran Club and it was amazing, as per usual. The resort which I have been to many times before has been upgraded, many fixes around the resort and it has only gotten better since the last time I was there. The food, which for cuba, was very good. There was always a lot of variety, including a large selection of fruits and vegetables for those who don't eat meat. The room we stayed in, which was a junior suite, was very nice. Nice beds, a clean bathroom and a very very cold airconditioner. The service we received while at this hotel exceeded all of my expectations, regardless of whether I was at the reception desk, any of the bars, the restaurants or from any of the staff, I was always provided with whatever I needed.

The main reason this hotel is the best ever is simply because of the Animation Staff. The entertainment staff go above and beyond and really are the best part of this resort. Not only do they welcome everyone with open arms, they treat you like family and that makes spending time in a foreign place that much easier. The dancers, Ariel, Jorge, Solang, Rafael, Llyoda, Poll, Judy and Juliar are absolutely amazing at what they do and they are definitely some of the best people I have ever met. And the entertainment staff of Pluto, Tiko, Danny, BonBon, Yadira, Julio are the most kindhearted, caring and wonderful people at the resort. The staff at Gran Club are the reason I have returned so many times and they're the reason I will keep returning to this resort.

Once again, Gran Club has exceeded my expectations of a cuba vacation and I will definitely be returning in the near future because of the amazing experiences I had during this trip, and all the ones before this one.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Katie F
Reviewed 27 May 2014

the resort is ok but... the experience however priceless. My first and last visit to this beautiful and very poor country. the level of terrorism the Cubans suffer can only be compared to North Koreans. The local police are on a rampage of detaining the locals who do not live or work near the resorts. The arrests are apparently to reduce prostitiution in the area. In fact, the cops are themselves involved in it acting as self-appointed pimps. If a detainee does not buy herself out with money or sexual services they get a so-called "warning card". It is a form of a police record. More than 2 cards result in fines or incarceration. There are a lot of undercover agents, snitches etc and appears that everybody lives in fear including hotel managers. No wonder that the hotels are almost empty. It`s a shame that such a beautiful place as Santa Lucia is so mismanaged and full of corruption. the beaches are not kept up with the entry into the water full of rocks, weeds and garbage. There are no rules re water traffic so you can easily be injured or killed by boats or kitesurfers. What a disaster!!!

Room Tip: go elsewhere and relax
Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
#3 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,339 reviews

Been to Gran Club Santa Lucia? Share your experiences!