“A wonderful week in the sun”
Review of Brisas Santa Lucia

and 1 more site!
Brisas Santa Lucia
Ontario
“A wonderful week in the sun”
Reviewed 4 October 2008

We didn't want some ritzy city-in-the-country hotel - we wanted a week of relaxation. We got it. The hotel was great. Average quality - not 5-star and not 1-star either. The food was satisfactory - not that I went for the eating. Both my girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed Brisas Santa Lucia. The staff was absolutely terrific. We got to relax and swim and socialize. Drink great coffee and smoke Cuban cigarettes. The nightly entertainment was very enjoyable. My husband and I are going again in February (if the resort is ok after Ike). I totally recommend it.

• Liked — Low-key; not overly large. Clean. Relaxing. Loved the afternoon dance lessons and silly bingo.
  • Disliked — The food wasn't the greatness - but food was a focus for us. Although the home-made pizzas and pasta were quite good. The Cuban, Italian and Seafood a la carte restaurants weredelicious.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
6 Thank jstead

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Polish first
MISSISSAUGA
Reviewed 31 August 2008

Not a 4 star resort but 2 star. While we were there they had 700 cubans friends of government officials staying for free and only 100 canadians who paid dollars, hence food was very hard to get as all those food starved people ate all. No kids acitivities, prostitution was inside to hotel. Resort was old, swimming pool was cracked up. Beach never cleaned for sea weeds, DONT GO THERE. Entertainment were only for Cubans staying there. DONT GO THERE AGAIN.

• Stayed August 2008
8 Thank TRAVELALI123

Travellers are raving about these Playa Santa Lucia hotels

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 30 August 2008

WOW! This was the WORST hotel I have ever been to and I have travelled around the world (to Cuba 5 times)

The food in Cuba is never great but they hardly made enough for the guests, undercooked eggs, meat, pasta (who can't cook pasta?!?!) and many people got sick.
In the buffet we witnessed waiters pouring beer into mugs and drinking it in plain sight of the customer service manager! Instead of serving the guests. Wait..that was because they had run out of wine by the 7th day.

The service was appauling and due to the fact that 70% of the guests were Cubans and received preferential treatment. They were there on work bonuses from the government and therefore were staying at the hotel for free.

It was difficult to even get a drink. This resort doesn't own a BLENDER! So don't expect pina coladas, daquiris, etc. They do not even serve HAVANA CLUB rum as it is too expensive. Mulata white rum is all that is offered and dark rum is available to those who ask...and tip well for it.

Servers do not work hard for tips.....they expect to be bribed at the start of any shift/ meal/ etc.

The disco, piano bar, jazz bar, mini golf, tennis DO NOT EXIST as they have been closed prior to the start of renovations.

The pool was never cleaned and was slimey, sandy, and disgusting.

The shows/ cabaret were so pointless, stupid, and amateur that I was embarassed for the animation team.

A man tried to BREAK INTO our connecting rooms on the second night of the holiday. He was banging on the doors and balcony windows that I thought he would break the glass. After calling security TWICE...and needing to explain the situation in Spanish because they did NOT understand English it took over 30mins for the situation to be resolved. It was not a fellow drunk tourist but a very menacing and threatening man. I often travel alone and had I been alone I would have been terrified!

A fellow traveller sat on his patio chair to enjoy his first drink having arrived 10mins earlier and his chair fell apart. He had a bump on his head and scratches and bruises on his arms. SECURITY demanded that he pay 168 CUC to replace the chair!!!!!!!!! If he refused they said they would call the police, throw him in jail, and charge him 10times that amount!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rolando at the snack bar and Eduardo at the lobby bar are the only good things about this hotel.
The smoothies were good until the 2nd day when the blender broke and that was the end of that.

AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE GRAN CLUB SANTA LUCIA (RIGHT NEXT DOOR) IS ONLY A 3 1/2 STAR BUT A MUCH MUCH MUCH NICER HOTEL.
SAVE YOUR MONEY AND STAY THERE INSTEAD!

• Liked — Ronaldo at the snack bar, Eduardo at the lobby bar,
  • Disliked — Lack of alcohol, TERRIBLE and RUDE service, lack of facilities, undercooked food
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
9 Thank Travel_Junkie83
Toronto
Reviewed 29 August 2008

My boyfriend and i just got back from a one week vacation and we had a fantastic time at Oasis Brisas! We weren't looking for anything fancy, so perhaps this is something to consider before reading my review. As well, prior to leaving for Cuba, I had read almost every review on this page so I had an idea of what to do and what not to do. For instance, we never left our clothes out at night so nothing got stolen. We made sure to tip and we got excellent service.

Beach: Very breezy! Yes, there is seaweed but it didn't bother us. It is shallow, but that only means you can walk further into the water and find some cool stuff! My boyfriend actually found a baby starfish not too far into the water... (we returned it, of course). We brought water shoes, but plenty of people didn't so I'm not sure if it is that necessary.

Buffet: Well, I'm not at all a picky eater and I really enjoyed the food. I really liked the fresh fish every night! My boyfriend pretty much survives on steak and potatoes, but he had no problem with the food. For picky eaters, you can always check out the pizza and pasta bar, which was always a big hit with everybody at the resort. One night they had a loaf of bread shaped as a seahorse. That bread was sooo good! There are few beef dishes (only because cows are generally used for milk and butter), but there was plenty of chicken and fish dishes.

Snack Bar: The fries are very tasty. There is no Heinz ketchup, but if you really are so inclined bring your own! We did and we had a whole bottle left over we just left it at the snack bar. (I think it was well-received since the ketchup at the resort was well--no Heinz ketchup!) The wait at the snack bar was pretty long, but that was usually during lunch hour, when the chefs were getting ready for the mini buffet.

Seafood Restaurant: Awesome! The shellfish soup was amazing! I had the calamari and my boyfriend had the grilled pineapple shrimp skewers and it was soooo good!

Nightly Entertainment: Since we were only there for one week, the nightly entertainment was different every night. We saw various things from fashion shows, to the animators dancing, to singing, to audience participation.

Service: We had excellent service! Our maid set out new rolls for us even when we didn't really need them and by the end of our stay, we had three rolls in our bathroom! I'm not sure why everybody is complaining about the shortage of toilet paper, but we definitely didn't have a problem. One thing to remember is that you should tip in CUC, and not Canadian coins. The bank on the resort does not exchange Canadian coins. We met so many people on the resort from other tourists to the bartenders. Show some courtesy, and they will show you some courtesy!

Mopeds: We rented a moped and we had an awesome time. We ended up going to a small village near the resort and gave out gifts to the children. The gifts were well-received. We gave dresses and school supplies to these three little girls, and they returned with a letter of thanks. They were so adorable!

Trip to Camaguey: We booked a tour to Camaguey, and it was pretty good. If you are planning to distribute gifts on this tour, be weary. We were harassed by a few locals but that was probably because they saw us carrying a small duffel bag of gifts for kids. Thankfully our tour guide Reidel (awesome guy!) directed us to a nursery where we left the gifts.

Coffee bar: Yum! They had espressos, cappuccinos, americanos, carajillos and something called spanish? Some had alcohol in it, and others didn't. All in all, they were tasty but in my opinion the cappuccinos are the best and were a perfect pick-me-up after a relaxing day at the beach.

All in all, be prepared with little gifts and you will get amazing service. Remember, these people do not earn a lot, so tip generously as their wages depend on these tips.

• Liked — Service, Beach
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
11 Thank olivetree
Stoney Creek, Ontario
Reviewed 27 August 2008

We stayed at the Brisas from Aug. 7 - 14 and had a great time. We went there expecting basic accommodations, hoping for a nice beach and hot, sunny weather with lots of drinks available. We were not disappointed.

Friends of ours had been there at Xmas and recommended it to us. We got a great deal ($703 per person, with taxes and insurance). What more could you ask for? The beach was beautiful, the water very warm, sun every single day, hot temps. and decent, clean rooms. The food wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't terrible, either. There was plenty to eat. You have to remember that this is Cuba and it's barely a 4 * resort. To quote someone in an earlier review, where in Canada can you get an ocean paradise, all inclusive, plus flight, for that price? It costs about $1200 to rent a cottage at Long Point and that's not including food or drinks. And Lake Erie is NOT the Caribbean!!!
Let's not even talk about Lake Ontario.

We found the staff very friendly. Service was fairly good at the buffet. We tipped about 10 Cuban Convertible Pesos at various bars once during the week at each and at the buffet and we were treated quite well. The drink cups were small, but they poured over the standard amount of liquor for those drinks. It was the amount of mixer that was less. Each drink was definitely a full drink and if you had several, you felt it.

As for the variety of foods, that was definitely lacking. At the end of your stay you can fill in a survey and state your opinions of the resort. I hope that they consider these. Still, you could eat fresh fish, daily. The grill by the beach was great for those who didn't want to have to change for lunch. You could just walk up in your bathing suit and help yourself to hamburgers, fresh fish, freshly grilled vegetables, fries, etc. It wasn't an enormous buffet but it was perfect for lunch. The dinner buffet had pretty good choices but if you were later eaters, they didn't always re-stock certain items. Again, that's a choice we made. There was still enough to eat. The personal pizza and pasta bar was a hit for many.

The resort was clean, well-managed and very low key. You weren't bombarded by loud music at all hours like at some places. They even stopped the beach music from 12 - 2 so people could enjoy lunch and/or a siesta.

Our room was always well looked after. We tipped 2 Cuban Convertible pesos per day, with a little candy and a friendly note and we never had any problems. Yes, when we arrived there wasn't any toilet paper... We asked for it and got it the next day. Luckily, I had had some in my backpack. When you are travelling to these places you need to realize that basic hygienic products that we take for granted are not always going to be available. Especially at the airport!!!

As far as water is concerned, you can buy a bottle at the little store, which was well attended, and then get it refilled at any of the bars on the resort. In my opinion, that's a more environmentally friendly way to do things than to have water bottles constantly available. Not as much litter.

All in all, after six days, we were tanned, well-rested, well-fed, relaxed and very satisfied from our stay at the Cuban paradise which is Santa Lucia.

• Liked — Very quiet and clean.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Livingston1
montreal
Reviewed 26 August 2008

BEWARE!!!!Listen to the reviews. I have travelled to many many places, that varied from 1 star to 5 star and this is rated as a 4 star but it is really a 2 star!! The pool is disgusting and dirty, the stafff is sooooo rude, (except the maids), the food was awful and we are not picky eaters. To top it off the drinks were boring and not very imaginative. Did I mention how rude the staff was!!!!
The rooms were okay, that is because we had two rooms and only in one of the rooms did the air conditioning work....the only good thing about it was the beach (if you don"t mind seaweed)
STAY AWAY!!!!

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank swats86
Montreal Qc
Reviewed 20 August 2008

Let me start by saying that this was our 4th time to Cuba, 2nd time in Santa Lucia. The reason we go to Cuba is because they have the best beaches and the people are so friendly. We love to bring presents and learn about their culture. We are not picky travelers in the least but this resort and their staff were quite unpleasent... We wondered if we were really in Cuba!

The resort is in need of a bit of maintenance but all in all its clean.

The rooms are ordinary rooms, nothing to write home about. The beds were clean, the a/c worked, we had a TV with a few stations and the bathroom was clean.

The maids were not very helpfull, they came, made the beds, changed the towels but giving a new roll of toilet paper was not on their to do list!!!! We called 3 times and finally she dropped by and gave us 1/2 a role. It was not until we complained to our tour agent that we got a few extra rolls. We left presents on the pillows and they didn't take them, we tried canadian money and still they did not take so finally we left a cuc... that they took.

The beach was amazing, I loved the little huts built on the water. On the right of the beach there is a little coral for those who enjoy snorkeling. Obviously there is sea weed but they clean it daily.

The food was horrible. I am a picky eater but my husband is not and even he could not take it anymore after the 3rd day. They only let in a few people at a time in the buffet at dinner and make you wait outside for their horrible food! The service in the buffet is awfull as well. The first few days we tried tipping big but that didnt even get the waiters attention. Every morning we had to clean our own table to be able to sit and have our bread and bananas.
We inquired about the a la carte restaurants on the 3rd day but was told that they were all booked even know every night we passed by were empty tables.

No service at the bars, all the employee's seem to be unhappy tired and were not friendly. Every time I asked for a drink I felt like I was bothering them. The woman at the store, will not get off her phone for love or money so if you go in there be prepared to stand at the cash with money in hand and wait till she is done...

Do not leave anything on your balcony if you are on the first floor, this hotel has theives! Our second night, someone crept up on our 1st floor balcony and stole the hotel beach towel & my husband's shorts. They then proceeded to the next balcony were they stole all their clothes as well. Management was made aware but did absolutely nothing not even an apology. We had to pay the extra $10 for a new beach towel.

Coco Beach, for a good meal 25.00 cuc per person, is the place to go. Even if you do not eat langouste, their spagetti is pretty good. It was the best meal we had so we went a second time!

One of the great things about this location is the dive shop. It is at the left of the hotel from the beach. We had two amazing dives. The water is clear and the equipement is pretty new.

I do not recomend this hotel. We had a talk with our tour agent and he told us that many things are changing in Cuba. One of the changes is Cuban's are now permitted to stay in the resorts therefore the employees prefer to tend to their own and this has caused a drop in the quality of service.

I am sad to say but I think Cuba is off my list for now...

• Liked — The beach huts
  • Disliked — The Employees
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Brattanya
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Santa Lucia
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
#12 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Be Live Experience Turquesa

Been to Brisas Santa Lucia? Share your experiences!