“This is a great Inn, but lacking as a Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Relais Vignale

Relais Vignale
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Radda in Chianti
New Orleans, Louisiana
“This is a great Inn, but lacking as a Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

We were very disappointed at our stay at the Vignale. First, they only had one bellman on duty when we checked in and when we checked out. Second, their front door opens right on the main street, so forget about staying there with pets or children. Third, they only have three check in parking spots, and they are across that main street. So, when the handle of my wine holder broke, I found myself kneeling on the main road to the village. There is one small elevator that goes only one floor, forget anyone who can not go up some stairs. We were given a deluxe room in the attic, my wife even had to bend down at one end of the room. Then there are the small porthole windows and the wooden storm shutters. Good thing there were no buildings across from us, they would get an eyeful. The AC would not come on the first night and no one would answer the phone at the front desk. OH, did I tell you, no box springs, just a mattress on a wooden bed. On the second night, I climbed on top of the bed and discovered the AC was turned off at the source, so we were cooler on the second night. Lastly, in the chaos of departing we left behind some wine and a souvenir purse, which the Hotel staff could not find. Yeap, a little icing on the cake. If you like quaint inns and no service, you'd love this place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
relaisvignale, Direttore generale at Relais Vignale, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Sirs,
I am very sorry you did not enjoyed your recent stay at Relais Vignale. Each unsatisfied Guest, leaving our Hotel, is a big failure for us.
Here below, I am glad to reply to your remarks:
- Regarding the access to the Hotel from the street, the Hotel has also a back entrance to avoid the direct access from the main road. Guests that park their car in our main parking on the back, easily reach the Hotel entrance from the garden.
- It is true that we only have a small parking area in front of the entrance on the street with 3 spaces. We are the only Hotel in town that has it. We also are the only Hotel in Radda that has a large and free parking space at Clients’ disposal connected to the hotel.
- We do have 1 porter/bellman per shift, one in the morning and one in the afternoon/evening. We have approximately 10 check-out and 10 check-in per day so that 1 porter is more than enough to cover the needs. Having more than 1 porter per shift would mean to increase the cost of the rooms.
- I am sorry that your bottle of wine broke. You should have called someone at the front desk without taking care of the glass yourself.
- The elevator goes to the first floor where the majority of the rooms are located, except of course, the rooms on the ground floor. We usually take care of our Clients’ needs in order not to have them climbing stairs, assigning them accommodations on the ground floor or that can be reached by the elevator when requested.
- Some of our rooms are located in the attic and have a sloping roof. That is a main feature in old Tuscan buildings like our Hotel and obviously there are no other buildings in front of the windows. From our Deluxe accommodations, like the one you had, Guests can appreciate a great view on the Chianti countryside.
- I am really sorry for the lack of answer from our night porter regarding the air conditioning. I am also sorry you did not advise the front desk during the following day, we could have sent someone to check the air conditioning of your room.
- I am so sorry we could not find your wine after your departure. In the e-mail you have sent you did not mention the souvenirs but only the wine that for sure, I think, it is not the bottle you broke.
- I am thankful you mentioned that our Hotel is a characteristic property. We are proud to be a typical Tuscan country residence.
- I am sorry you did not like your accommodation. Again, you should have told the reception and we could have tried to assign you another room.
- You have complained the lack of assistance from our staff and I am sorry about that, but I noticed that you never asked for our intervention for none of the inconvenient. Our staff would have been happy to help you.
- I hope that your review on the Hotel would not have been influenced from the fact that due from our company policy we could not exchange your travellers cheque. As the reception staff mentioned, the bank is located only 10 meters from our building.
I hope you will our Guest in the future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
New Orleans
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

This is a modest Inn, fronting the main hiway in Radda. It is clean, sufficient and the staff did their job. However, at best, this is just a convenient place to stop and sleep. There is no charm, ambience or atmosphere here at the Inn feel you are 'on vacation' in Tuscany. Yes, there is a scenic view from the breakfast
balconey. But thats it. There are only 3 parking places outside the front door. And yes, everyone arrives and checks out at the same time. So be prepared to haul your own luggage both up a hill and back down a hill. The hillside parking lot was extremely challenging. Breakfast was average sufficientness. My room was located under the roof rafters; I only had two side porthole windows which looked out onto the roof. I guess i paid too much attention to all of the previous glowing reviews and 'best' hotel website pics. Again, this was modest. NOT a special place or place to feel pampered. And, I should have realized, based on the 'excellent' room rate. It was a fair value for what we paid. Price does matter in Italy

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Raerone
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed in this hotel for our honeymoon and had an amazing time! The staff are so helpful and the barman deserves a particular mention. The food was lovely and the setting is just stunning. The pool is lovely and was never crowded. There was never any trouble getting a sunbed. There are plenty of local restaurants and we visited Bar Dante across the road on several occasions! The lady owner is British and was very friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Wow! What a gem in Radda. We had a suite (376e for 2 nights) and was one of the best places we stayed on holiday. The room while hard to find (up stairs, many turns, we got lost a few times) was stunning with gorgeous views, a huge bedroom, living/dining room, outside verandah and large bathroom. Serioulsy one of the largest rooms we've ever stayed in. Decorated in a traditional way, just beautiful. We enjoyed a bottle of the estate wine and just soaked up the views. The pool is really a highlight, a beautiful niew of a Tuscan valley. Sleep quality excellent, enjoyed a hot tub in the room and got some well earned relax time. A few steps away for the main street and with parking (the steep driveway had my hubbie in "manual car panic"). The breakfast wasn't bad and in our 3 weeks the first Amercian lardy breakfast with bacon, eggs etc. But if you are used to a lighter breakfast there is fruit yoghurt as well. The service in the restaurant is very grumpy and lacking any sort of enthusiasm, asking for a cappucino was like extracting blood from a stone, it seemed like a real hassle to the staff. Despite this we tried the restaurant for dinner and the grumpiness seemed to have evolved into a whole new level. You need to have a thick skin becuase you can feel pretty unwelcome. Despite this I was determined not to let it ruin our stay, the restaurant and hotel has amazing views, the room and pool so so so relaxing. Wifi was very poor. Really friendly checkin staff and an amzing man who hauled our luggage up all the stairs. Thank you for a great romantic stay.

Room Tip: The suites at the top really large and beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

My husband, myself and our nearly 2 year old son just spent 5 nights in Radda at the Relais Vignale. We had such a lovely time. Firstly Tuscany is stunning. It's very quiet and laid back. You need to have a car to get around, but it's well worth it to see the beautiful scenery.

The hotel itself is very classic looking. The staff were all very lovely and on hand at all times, especially Jo in the bar! Nothing seemed too much trouble.

We had a 'basic' double room at the front of the hotel, which exceeded what I would call basic. The bed was very comfortable, bathroom spacious and it was always kept very clean. The blackout shutters were amazing, especially at keeping our son asleep for that extra hour or so in the mornings!

We did find the hotel to be slightly noisy, in that you could hear the showers and taps running very clearly. But the building isn't a new-build so I would expect this and it wasn't a particular issue as it wasn't as if this was happening during the middle of the night.

The swimming pool was absolutely wonderful. Plenty of sunbeds, spectacular views and enough shade in the grassed area for our son to sleep while we soaked up a few rays. It says the pool is heated until October and although the temperature for us was fine, once you were in, we found it was too cold for such a young child, so unfortunately our son only went in the pool once during our stay.

I've read a few reviews about the breakfast being average, and I'd say that it wasn't of a particularly high standard, but we ate well each morning. There was plenty for our son too, cereal, yoghurts, toast etc. I wouldn't be put off by any food reviews, the hotel is well worth staying in and there are several restaurants nearby.

If you are traveling with young children, there is a park within a 10 minute stroll from the hotel.

I would thoroughly recommend the Relais Vignale.

Hope this helps :)

Room Tip: If you are looking for a super quiet room, I would suggest requesting a room at the back of the hote...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Funchal, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

My wife had always wanted to go to Italy on her honeymoon. Has such, when we decided to marry, I planned it through the internet, and made it a surprise for her! She only knew that the flight destination was Rome. The rest was on me! During my search, and remembering all that she had said that she would like to experience, Tuscany was a must see place. After some research, I found this hotel, when searching for accommodation in the classic Chianti region. What a marvelous surprise it was! When one makes such a huge task such as planning and buying a honeymoon through the internet, especially reading only the reviews from fellow travelers that you don´t personally know in sites like this one, one can become very anxious to know if everything goes as expected. In this particular case, as with almost everything during the honeymoon, those expectations were largely surpassed!

The hotel is an old palace fully restored, with a very antique look. Exactly what one would expect when coming to this region. The rooms were great (we stayed in a standard) and the view to the Tuscan hills and garden was great! The lavender bushes beside our window were full of flowers! As it was late August, the gardener was pruning them and offered us a bunch of freshly cut lavender that my wife dried and still keeps at our home. The place was magical. The landscape was like a postcard. The staff was very friendly and nice to us. It was as if we were owners of the estate! The breakfast terrace was one of the highlights! Imagine eating excellent food in a balcony with olive and wine groves as a background! Yep, that's what you got there. And Radda was a great complement to the experience. A small picturesque town that could enchant you and make you feel like you just travelled back in time.

This hotel was great and the prices very reasonable for the experience you got. It is situated in central Chianti area, relatively near other Tuscan attractions, like Siena, Florence, San Gimignano, Montepulciano, Volterra and Pienza. Renting a car is a must in order to use Radda as a base for exploring the region. It was easily one of the best hotels in which I have ever stayed. It was FANTASTICO!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CF1g
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We made this our home base in Tuscany. The hotel was very nice -- both the room and common areas. We were there in early May. It was a little chilly to sit out but the pool area was wonderful. The terrace was also a great place to have a bottle of wine and watch the sunset.

The location was key for us. It was right in town so after a busy day of site seeing we could walk to a restaurant nearby for dinner. Even though it was right in town it was still peaceful (see tip on booking room).

The breakfast included in our stay every morning was great too. One of the better European hotel breakfasts we've had. Just enough but not over done. Good way to grab something quick before heading out for the day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building. We didn't know better and stayed in the Annex. The room was...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Radda in Chianti
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Il Borgo di Vescine - Relais del Chianti
Il Borgo di Vescine - Relais del...
#5 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
CDH Hotel Radda
CDH Hotel Radda
#3 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Villa Bordoni
Villa Bordoni
#1 of 19 in Greve in Chianti
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti

Been to Relais Vignale? Share your experiences!