I had booked this hotel having read some great reviews then a really bad one and was dreading my stay needn't have worried the place was gorgeous and nothing like a B&B as someone said.
It isn't a chain type hotel nothing like the luxury groups most of which I have stayed in worldwide BUT it more than made up for lack of large screen TV's with the amazing views and location. Who needs a TV when you can look at views that are like a film set and sit on a balcony drinking wine overlooking the vineyard that grows the grapes.
Driving there was pretty even on really winding roads...when you enter Radda do look out for the hotel which we arrived in after dark and realize it is ON the main road in Radda on both sides and you can't see the countryside till you get inside which threw us a little I expected it down a country road.
Breakfast was absolutely fine ...pot of coffee or tea cheese ham bread etc but certainly nothing hot as is the custom in most of Italy ..so if expecting English breakfast forget it ...the whole point though is to do things you don't normally do at home on vacation.
Rooms very clean bedding changed regularly as are towels and shower etc worked well..bathroom was traditional style and OK not luxurious but had everything you needed.
Staff were really lovely great fun you smile at them they smile back some don't speak great English but can usually understand and help.
There are lots of little nooks to sit and admire the view from...both outside and inside...not modern maybe more shabby chic.
The village is gorgeous... a little Cafe across the road does nice traditional meats and carafes of wine very reasonably priced and some lovely restaurants in the village.The hotel menu was a bit limited in choice although they did special daily menus and they didn't seem to do lunches although I'm sure if you asked they would sort something for you.
Our favorite restaurant was La Peguera which had a good choice of both food and wines and the two brothers who waited the tables had a great sense of humor ..you should book in advance in most places.
Most people tour around the area only an hour to San Gimagnano..gorgeous medieval village the roads aren't busy but lots of cyclists and VERY winding roads not good if you get car sick.
Sienna is only 45 mins an hour away and has a fabulous square to sit in. Florence too maybe an hour's drive so this is a perfect base for visiting many towns or like us stay and just chill in a perfect location with some wine for a day or two...or visit some vineyards and sample the Chianti.
Our weather was a bit mixed May is usually sunny but they had a lot of rain this year and when there is no sun it gets pretty chilly day and night...although it heated up a lot the last day or two so last week in May probably fine with mainly summer clothes but take a jacket and cardigans or pashminas for night time just in case.
I haven't posted any photos to be honest they don't do the place justice as it is nicer in real life.
I loved it there so much I am considering trying to book again for September...but it gets very busy that time of year when they harvest the grapes so maybe next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relais Vignale is an 18th-century villa located in Radda’s centre. It has a pool and features panoramic views across the Tuscan countryside from its restaurant terrace. Rooms are rustic yet elegant.Relais Vignale includes a collection of period furniture, frescoed ceilings, and grand fireplaces. Each room is individually designed, and comes with air conditioning and satellite TV..The in-house restaurant offers a menu of traditional Tuscan dishes and fine local wines. Attentive staff organise tastings in the property’s wine shop.The outdoor pool is heated and surrounded by a floral garden. There is also a TV room, lounge bar and library, plus free Wi-Fi in communal areas.The property is surrounded by the villages of the Chianti Classico wine region. Siena and Florence are both under an hour’s drive away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Odigeo, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Relais Vignale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Relais Fattoria Vignale Hotel Radda In Chianti
- Relais Vignale Radda In Chianti, Italy - Tuscany