“Great Experience!”
Review of CDH Hotel Radda

CDH Hotel Radda
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Radda in Chianti
Reviewed 20 June 2006

Overall, a good place for overnight lodging. Only complaint is that there is no elevator to the upper floors - makes packing it in and out a little more diffficult. Continental breakfast is the standard low end Super 8 fare and leaved us with desire for something more.

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank TW3

Reviewed 23 March 2006

Generally I would recommend Hotel Radda. The rooms are very modern by contintental standards and are quite big also. Room rates are also good. On the down side you probably need a car as it is at least 1 km from Radda.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank Ronan_7
Reviewed 18 December 2005

We stayed at the hotel this past summer. We found Radda in Chianti to be a great base to explore the small towns in Tuscany. You need an auto rental.

The hotel is located on the outskirts of town. It is too far to walk and the local traffic could be a little dangerous walking on the roadway.

The hotel is fairly new. The locals are not happy with the style or decor. They told us that the furniture does not reflect the region.

The guestrooms are fairly large, the bathrooms small, and swimming pool very quiet and peaceful.

Most room rates include a full breakfast. The breakfast is very good but, if you are staying a few days you will quickly realize that the menu does not change. The service at breakfast is vey painful. The staff does not pay attention to details thus, most breakfast items are not refreshed on a timely basis.

A great place for a fun meal is the Pizza Pie in Radda. This small friendly restaurant is just minutes from the hotel. (see photo)

Ceramiche Rampini is a must. This ceramic shop is located a 5 minute drive south of Radda. They ship worldwide. Leave your credit card in your hotel room for this visit.

The small town of Castellina is a very short drive. Here there are many places to eat and also, this is where to pick out and ship you chianti home.

Radda in Chianti is almost half way between Florence and Siena. A perfect small town experience.

• Stayed: July 2005
7  Thank Nancy P
Reviewed 12 October 2005

We stayed in Radda in September of 2005. We were very pleased with the picture perfect view from our room. Waking up each morning and opening our windows was delightful. I felt I received a good value for the price we paid but see a few areas of improvement.

The breakfast was the best we had while in Italy and the staff at breakfast was very accommodating, we did not experience slow service like the review placed before mine. We also had dinner in the restaurant one night and received good service. I noticed that many of the guests had purchased a hotel package where dinner was included. While we did enjoy our meal there I highly suggest trying some of the restaurants in Radda and Chianti. We did have dinner at one restaurant in Radda, I wish I could remember the name, but I do know when translated into English it had something to with a "Pearl." The food was great!! I'm not a big fan of Italian food when I am at home in the US, but I could eat the real thing every day...it is so much better. :)

I had a very pleasant experience with some staff members and not so great with some of the others. The female that was working at the front desk was extremely accommodating and helped us make reservations to visit a local winery, which became one of the highlights of our trip. Our room was clean and the hotel offered many amenities.

The only other staff member I saw working at the front desk was a male and I was a little confused by his attitude. I couldn't tell if he didn't understand what we were asking, or if he was just trying to be a jerk. As an example one day after sight seeing we came back to the hotel hoping to go in the spa before going out to dinner. We tried to enter and it was locked, however there was another couple in there...we were confused. All of the signs posted indicated the spa was open for another hour so we went to the front desk to ask. He just looked at us and said, "It's closed today." If it is closed why is that other couple in there, and why does the sign say it is open for another hour??? Hmm

Overall I would recommend this property.

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank pugluvr
Reviewed 25 July 2005

Lovely view of Radda village, generally a nicely appointed hotel. The problem is the management seems to have become complacent. We waited 30 minutes to get a coffee at breakfast. Others in the dining room simply gave up and left. The rooms aren't cleaned untill 4 or 5 in the afternoon. I had a drink on the hotel balcony, the empty glass was still there 24 hours later, no one really cares. This hotel is pre-occupied with being 'sophisticated', but basic service is shoddy. Pity, given the great location on the summit of a hill.

• Stayed: July 2005
14  Thank Hubert1
A TripAdvisor Member
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 29 September 2004

This hotel is set in idyllic surrounds with picture postcard views of the Tuscan Landscape. Unlike more conventional hotels, it has a country club atmosphere having only 3 levels and with the meals and reception areas being spacious and open plan without those narrow claustrophobic corridors. The staff were charming and eager to help when we needed directions to visit other towns in the region, or we wanted that necessary drink by the pool!

The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. The buffet brekky is typical of the country with cold meats, cheeses and breads as well as cereals, fruit, and juices available. The hotel is only a short drive or a comfortable walk into the quaint township, and less than an hour's drive to Florence, Siena or San Gimignano. A car is definitely needed to get around, but you could easily enjoy just staying there and doing nothing.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2004
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 August 2004

This hotel is beautiful. This is a great hotel
to use as a base in the Tuscany region. It allows
you to be a 30-60 minute drive from Florence or
Siena while staying in the beauty of the wine
region. The hotel opened in July 2004 so everything
is new. The building set on a hill and is gorgeous inside andout. The pool and spa area is wonderful giving views of the chianti hills and countryside. The staff is nice and helpful. The hotel is
decorated in a contemporary posh style. We
traveled to Italy in July of 2004 on our honeymoon.
We stayed at 4 star hotels in Positano, Umbria,
and in Chianti at the Hotel Radda. This hotel was the best that we stayed at. I suggest having a car
to stay at this hotel. I would recommend staying outside cities in Tuscany and visiting them with
day trips. Then, return to this hotel where it is beautiful and peaceful. You will be pleased.

12  Thank DDee47
Also consider these accommodations in or near Radda in Chianti
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Il Borgo di Vescine - Relais del Chianti
Il Borgo di Vescine - Relais del...
#5 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Relais Vignale
Relais Vignale
#3 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Hotel Athena
Hotel Athena
#8 of 40 in Siena

Been to CDH Hotel Radda? Share your experiences!