Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Madden's on Gull Lake(East Gull Lake)
View Hotel
All reviewsoutdoor poolfamily reunionping ponggolf tripice skatingpontoon ridesmarina stafflabor day weekendbit datedhorse drawn wagon ridebear trapbreakfast buffetmain buildingice fishingdirty dancingbrainerd areagreat weekend
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Cragun’s staff made my job of “Event Planner” for my 40TH Class Reunion easy. They took care of all of the details, worked with us and gave us discounts in the form of waived charges which made our function more affordable and desirable. Reunion attendees loved the venue so much that they are talking about having a 45TH Reunion at Craguns! Other attendees plan to give family members gift certificates so they can stay at Craguns!! Everyone is pleased with the service, the accommodations & venue that Craguns offers. I’m not exaggerating when I say everyone!! And we had 160 people in attendance!!

Room Tip: Rooms were spacious with a deck overlooking the gorgeous lake!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I've stayed at Cragun's a few times over the years and even though this time I wasn't able to partake in some of the amenities due to a funeral out of town, overall my stay was wonderful.
Dutch still knows how to "do it right". The food was excellent, the accommodations were very nice, clean rooms. I have no complaints except it seemed too short of time.

Room Tip: I had a lake side room and it was very nice. Took an early morning walk around the resort which was wonderful by the beaches.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I recently stayed at Cragun’s resort for the 3rd and final time. Out of those 3 times, the first and last stays were by far the worst. This last stay was for a family reunion, and the 2nd year in a row we have all stayed there. After we checked in, we headed down to our room, only to find that is was SUPER outdated, and smelled like cigarette smoke. I called and asked if we could change rooms, and the front desk gal I spoke with told us to load up, and go get new keys. So, we lugged all of our luggage to the front desk, got new keys, to a room that was even further away. You couldn’t bring us the new keys, to save us the trip? The new room was a bit better, but still, very dated. The mattresses were SO uncomfortable. Probably the worst bed I’ve slept on in a hotel. They were hard as a rock, and we tossed and turned each night. Also, the room was advertised as having 2 queen beds. They were not queen beds, as we have one at home. They were definitely full beds.

The weather outside was hot hot hot. This also means that almost everywhere inside at the resort was hot as well. The halls were like saunas, and were miserable to walk through. The pool area was just disgusting. Hot, humid, no air movement. Some fans in there would have helped greatly. I would think that the staff would want to make one of the main recreation spots in the resort comfortable. I guess not.

The cleaning staff was very friendly and did a good job. The front desk staff on the other hand? Not so friendly. The food was mediocre, nothing to brag about. It would have been nice if the restaurant by the outdoor pool was open all day, on a weekend when Cragun’s was 100% booked, but, they weren’t.

I’ve read the numerous reviews about this resort, and also have read the manager’s response to the ones that were sub-par. I realize they are trying to keep the old charm alive there, but, a little updating wouldn’t hurt. TV’s could be updated, new beds, bedding, etc. If it’s too hot to go anywhere but your room, and the room is ugly and uncomfortable, what are we paying for? Oh that’s right…the owner’s big (and I mean BIG) house across the lake. Thanks for letting us down 3 different times, Cragun’s.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank ALP016
NancyKrasean, Manager at Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your stay at Cragun’s. We appreciate this opportunity to improve based on your comments. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We have undertaken a good deal of remodeling in the last 2 years including new mattresses in all rooms at the resort, carpeting, bathrooms and mechanical systems. It appears you stayed during the recent record-breaking heat spell. There are numerous fans in the indoor pool area but with the outdoor humidity and the humidity generated in the pool area, it is difficult to keep up. We provide a snack bar at the indoor pool that is open 7 days a week. I have directed your comments to our front desk manager for follow-up. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

This was our first vacation to a resort as a family. We went from Sunday to Wednesday and the kids had a great time. On Sunday, Cragun's holds a buffet dinner (good food) and is the time to sign-up for activities during the week - lots of good stuff, such as, kids club($), wagon ride(free), fishing clinic(free), etc.... Just be aware that if you sign up for something that cost money, your room will be charged - show or no show. The indoor pool is very nice but the outdoor pool is very small. The resort itself is on one of Gull Lake bay - very nice for boating and fishing. We rented a flat bottom boat ($20/hr) and hit a school of Sun Fish - it was fun for the kids. The marina cleans fish for $1/fish. We also fished off the docks. We also took the canoes (free) out on the bay and had a great time. The staff was very friendly and helpful when asked a question. The rooms are a little run down so see if you can get one that might be a little newer. I believe the shoreline building is the newest. One person I talked to had a room right by the party room - which had a party until 1am - so stay away from the party room. One the south beach at night, you could start a fire in one of the many rings available. Also, on Tuesday, they played a movie on the beach. The kids enjoyed it ver much. We got a deal for the rooms so it was well worth the price. I would not pay full price to stay here. Since our vacation was so late in the summer (mid-Aug), the resort was not as busy - which was nice. The cabins look fun to stay in but you will have lots of people walking around.
I would recommend Cragun's if you can get it for a good price!

Room Tip: Book away from the party room. Ask for a room with a gas fireplace Begin your stay on a Sunday night
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed at Cragun's because of a wedding Saturday at a nearby resort. Craguns is very kid friendly . We had a number of kids ages 2-9 in our group. The resort is great, but could use updating. For the G-parents in the group, there was a lot of walking and stairs. I assume there are handicap-friendly rooms, but we're not to that stage yet. My son for sure wants to bring his family and rent a cabin next summer. I think they need more cabins. Very nice. Will do again too. ef

• Stayed: August 2013