The George
The Manor(West Bexington)
Hensleigh House(Charmouth)
Bridge House Hotel(Beaminster)
TripAdvisor
All reviewspiessteak and ale pienice puboverlooking the harbourlivergreat foodsunday carveryfresh vegetablesnew ownerswhilst on holidaylarge portionsfantastic mealthursday nightcooked to perfectionwhitebaitfull englishan evening meal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Went into The George for lunch on a beautiful sunny sat afternoon was meet by smiling helpful staff and very welcoming atmosphere. Food was very good and did not have to wit very long even though they were busy

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gasgirltwo
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We were staying at Parkean for 3 nights so we just popped in for a drink on the Friday evening!! Had Dinner Fri night,Saturday night and a Sunday roast at lunch time, nice atmosphere,friendly service,decent menu and reasonable prices ,What more can you ask for !!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

My fiancee and I came in looking for a beer and protection from the weather. We had a dog with us so were really pleased to find somewhere that was dog friendly and the owner/manager's dog Beau was a real personality. The pub was relaxed with a friendly atmosphere with locals chatting at the bar. Our table was toasty warm by the radiator after a bracing walk on the beach.

We checked reviews before eating but the poor reviews seem senseless. Who would complain about cards not being accepted under £10 ... that's normal in Herts, where we're from...and 14 people turning up off the cuff should be happy to be accomodated rather than having the cheek to complain about a delay.

We had a pub style meal in the bar rather than in the restaurant area.

I had mushrooms followed by mussels and my fiancee had whitebait followed by fish and chips. The meals were piping hot and plentiful.

At this time of year the local fishermen have limited catches, if any, so the signature fresh fish dishes we initially chose were not available. Although this made us re-select our dishes, this told us that the fresh fish dishes are authentically fresh.

The dishes were tasty and well cooked. We very much enjoyed our dinners and the atmosphere.

My mushrooms came in port and stilton sauce which was spectaular.

My mussels were "mariniere" ... one of my favourites. They could only have been improved with a garnish .. finely chopped parsley or chives maybe.

I was offered more bread when I ran out with my mussels but as the portion was so good I couldn't have eaten it A spoon was brought out for me to enjoy the remaining sauce.

All in all, yum, yum...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My boyfriend and I dropped in here on a friday night and were immediately made to feel very welcome. We were seated in the restaurant and found the choice on the menu great. There was a nice mix of meals to suit everyone. We were warned there would be a slight wait as all the meals are cooked from fresh which was fine by us, The atmosphere in the restaurant was lovely, it was busy but you were a nice distance away from other tables. Overall we had a wonderful experience and all for a very reasonable price. Would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We went here yesterday - staff are great but we were only told after we ordered our drinks that we had to make it a tenner on a debit card! Cheeky! Normally most places will take it up to a tenner then give you the change, no luck here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Christophe D, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you for your recent review but feel you are being a little harsh in your writing. Unfortunately it costs us to extend the courtesy of allowing our clients the option of paying by card. These costs are charged by the card issuer and are forever being increased.

We like most places have had to set a minimum limit to cover these costs. That limit works on a margin we have to play with and in our case is £10.00. The round in question was around £6.00 and this was not enough to cover our costs. You mentioned that most places would have made it up to £10.00 and given you the change. I don't know of any pub that does that and not being rude, why would they want to do that. The charge would be the same and we would not have sold the goods to cover the cost charged by the card issuers!.

Most people expect there to be a limit and generally ask. Had you informed us before you ordered that you wished to pay by card, we would have course informed you of the minimum limit. Unfortunately the cash points in the bay all charge to withdraw cash, whereas we don't. However so that we don't charge we have to set a minimum limit to enable us to swallow those charges. We try to accommodate wherever we can, but at the end of the day we are a pub and not a bank.

Thanks again and regards