“Winter Walk”

Clifford Arms
Price range: US$3 - US$17
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Clifford Arms in Great Haywood is a traditional country pub offering a fine selection of cask-conditioned ales and guest beers together with a wide choice of freshly prepared meals and snacks. The pub has been a popular stopping-off point for boaters for many years - come along and find out why for yourself. We are perfectly located to the Trent and Mersey canal, canal bridge number 73, Shugborough Hall, Cannock Chase.Should you also wish to bring your dog into our pub then that is not a problem as we are dog-friendly!We are also proud to have received the Cask Marque accreditation - awarded to licensees for excellence in the service of cask ale and to be listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide 2016. Food served 12-2pm and 6-9pm daily.
Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

After walking down the canal,we decided to lave lunch on the way home, looked nice out side and called in. Real pub good draft real ales, food menu was good also, only had sandwiches and a bowl of chips but hand cut thick bread, brown crispy chips and a fresh salad.
We we'll definitely be back

1  Thank nickfairclough1
Judy R, Public Relations Manager at Clifford Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2017

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

Reviewed 17 December 2016

We had a meal here midday on Sept 1st and to be honest it was not as good as I'd expected.
Nothing major wrong but I think the ingredients used were not the best and that showed in the taste.
Sorry to say this as the setting in Great Haywood is second to none and the staff were very helpful - we'll give it another try as I'm sure it was just a one off.

So sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your meal. Perhaps you would be kind enough to get in touch via e-mail (cliffordarms@gmail.com) and give me some additional information. It would be helpful to know which meals you had so we can look to making improvements.

Reviewed 30 October 2016

Went here for birthday meal. Place is local to me but never been for years based on poor experience last time. Pleasantly Surprised! Menu is basic but good pub grub. Portions huge and piping hot freshly cooked. Service very attentive all evening and place busy. A good sigh. Bill very pleasing too! So unless anything flash and fancy needed for a special occasion I have no issues recommending the Clifford and returning myself....

Judy R, Public Relations Manager at Clifford Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2016

My apologies for the tardy response and I am sorry to hear that you had had a poor experience here in the past. Thank you for giving us another chance and for letting us know that we managed to improve your opinion of us.

Reviewed 23 October 2016

The building is a traditional design with large public rooms and a decent sized restaurant but our visit was marred by pretty poor service. The young lad serving and the chef were fine but we were told the youngster could not pour the drinks due to his age.......no problem but it took whoever was pulling pints 20 mins to produce a pint of Bass and a G&T! I thought I was unlucky until the guy nearby said he had waited that long for the wine as well!
Food was in good sized portions of pub grub, we had scampi and a curry. Both were tasty, hot and well presented......it was just a shame about the delays.
This place has huge potential if the furniture and decor were just a little " fresh".
Can't really se how they were awarded a cert. of excellence from TA in 2015 though.

Thank you so much for your review - and I apologise for the tardy response.

We appreciate your patience on this occasion (which I believe was on the Thursday evening). We are aware that we were a little understaffed during September and October. Hopefully, should you decide to forgive us, you will find the service times much better on your next visit.

Reviewed 21 October 2016

Nice pub, Good beer and range of snacks, food looked good but we didn't eat, Great location, good service, wish this was closer

My apologies for the tardy response but I wanted to make sure that I (eventually) thanked you for your lovely review.