“Luxury with a personal touch!”

Villa di Monte Solare
cakelady83
“Luxury with a personal touch!”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We got the food and wine package with excursions to go wine tasting and had cooking classes on the site of the villa. Our experience has been beyond description. They provided transport from the train station to the villa and the countryside was just beautiful. When we pulled up to the villa, I was blown away. It is breathtaking! Everything is so manicured and perfect. The olive groves were beautiful along with the vineyards. Once we arrived we didn't have to worry about a thing! The villa we stayed in was immaculate and beautiful. The bathroom was large with heater and in floor heating along with a separate tub and shower. Everything is very energy efficient also. They take good care to make sure the villa uses as little energy as possible.
Since we didn't have a car, we stayed at the hotel for dinner and we have nothing to complain about. The menu items were fresh, beautiful, interesting,and most of all, delicious! We tried something new every night and were never disappointed.
The staff is wonderful. They know you by name and the owners are very involved with the day-to-day operations. They knew our names the day we came when we walked through the door and made us feel right at home. Rossi also took us on our tours and was very attentive and flexible. Everything is so personal.
The culinary classes were so much fun and we learned a lot. We cook a lot, but we aren't used to cooking traditional Italian dishes, so there was plenty to learn. It was like cooking with family. Lots of wine, conversation and food. This was a trip of a lifetime and I would suggest this superb villa to everyone!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank cakelady83

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Stockbridge
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This is simply the best hotel we've ever stayed in. We're the fourth couple of our extended family to stay there - each has recommended it to the next - but we had no idea it'd be so good. We were delighted with the good cheer and helpfulness of everyone at the hotel. We loved its rural position, with views over vines and olive trees; the fact that I'd asked for a room with as few steps as possible and had been given exactly that (one small step, into the bathroom); the spaciousness and comfort of our room and the simple, good taste of its fittings; our own private terrace; the delicious food. The fact that guests are spread out amongst various restored farm buildings over several acres means you don't feel crowded, even when the hotel is full. I was more than impressed with the laundry's ability to restore a white shirt after a messy encounter with tomato soup.
We've only been home for 18 hours and I've already recommended it to my brother.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wendy B
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We spent 3 nights of our honeymoon at the Villa di Monte Solare recently and had an outstanding experience. The suite was ideal with rustic but upscale decor and an amazing jacuzzi tub. The staff is lovely & helpful, but unobtrusive. The property is stunning and a short, scenic drive from some of the great walled cities such as Perugia and Assisi. The food was excellent, made better by an on-point wine selections from the owner herself. If you are looking for the perfect Italian getaway to relax and indulge in fine foods and spa treatments, this is the place!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Herzelia
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We arrive to the villa by recommendation ,and I can say that we were very happy to receive it.
The owner and the staf are so kind ....they make you a very good feeling of relaxation when you stay there.The villa is very luxury and the restaurant offers you a delicious menu.
All the furniture is comfortable specially the beds.We receive there a very nice lesson of cooking with the chef Matteo ,it was really an unforgettable experience that I'll remember always.
They did there a perfect maching of olds buildings with all the modern facilities.
For it was wonderful.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 15 February 2012

If you can find a more charming, luxurious, beautiful and hospitable place, please let me know.

This place has it all: large and charmingly furnished rooms, luxurious beds with upscale linens, fetching views, impeccablly maintained facilities, and a staff that appears to be in a contest to see who can be more accommodating. Our dinners in the beautiful dining room warmed by a large, old fireplace were perfect. I really can't say enough about this charming inn, and you should find a way to visit there.

We were there in February 2012 in the midst of a 30-year snow storm and the staff helped us get home, which we greatly appreciated -- although it was tempting indeed to have a second breakfast of pastires and champagne.

Put this place on your list. You'll be happy you did!

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded to a suite!
2 Thank Mayanne99
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I chose Villa di Monte Solare as our base for visiting Umbria because of reviews I read on Trip Advisor. It was perfect. The food was fabulous. The owners and staff could not have been nicer or more accommodating. We left amidst the first snow storm in 30 years. The snow was brushed off our car, the chains were put on the tires and we were followed to the main road to make sure we got their safely - beyond the call of duty but much appreciated. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Room 7 was lovely if you don't mind climbing stairs
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 February 2012

A friend and I stayed here for three nights in January – what a beautiful place! This lovely property is exactly what I always imagined a luxury Umbrian villa should be. There were very few guests staying here at the time that we went – January and February are generally pretty quiet times for this part of Italy. Because of this, everything was closed. We wanted to play tennis – closed. I wanted to get a massage – they couldn’t get a therapist to come in. The café was closed, so our only dinner options were the restaurant. But no matter – the stay was wonderful, I just can’t comment on any of the other facilities.

The buildings are beautifully built and restored, and the owners have considered every little detail. Beautiful linens, excellent amenities, climate control (though the heater in our bedroom didn’t work – it was unusually warm during our stay so that wasn’t really an issue). The rooms are furnished with gorgeous antiques and art. It’s the perfect combination of old, wonderfully characteristic buildings updated with the modern visitor in mind. The staff was very nice and did their best to ensure that we had a nice stay (even though everything was closed), and we did. They were not terribly helpful, however, when it came to booking other restaurants, as noted by previous reviewers.

We had a superior double room that had a sitting room two bathrooms (though only one had a toilet), and as lovely as it was there were some issues that were rather annoying. The Jacuzzi tub jets didn’t work, the heating in the bedroom didn’t work (as previously mentioned), and there was an unpleasant, mildew-y smell coming from the bathroom off of the bedroom – this is not uncommon in old buildings with old pipes, and it was nothing a scented travel candle couldn’t deal with, but still...

However, the most annoying thing about the room was the lights – they are almost all sensor-operated, so we couldn’t turn them on or off as we liked. Instead they would turn on and off depending on movement that the sensors picked up in the rooms, which resulted in me having to complete my showers in the dark since the shower is tucked in the corner where the sensor doesn’t reach. I find this kind of “nannying” totally obnoxious, especially in a hotel of this quality.

Also, the “gym” is really non-existent unless you pay 80 euro an hour to work with a personal trainer. It’s not generally open for guests to use as they wish, and in any case it’s too tiny for more than one person. The staff and owners were very gracious about letting me in to stretch and do some calisthenics - I suspect it’s because we were practically the only people there. It really didn’t make that much difference – the grounds are so beautiful that it’s far better to exercise outside anyway. I must have run and hiked miles through the olive groves and trails that crisscross the property, and during the summer the two pools are open.

As previously mentioned, there does seem to be a culture among the staff to be reticent about recommending restaurants other than the one on the property. When we asked the lady at the front desk to recommend another restaurant in the area, she said that the only one nearby in Panicale was closed until the end of February. This I believed, as this is fairly common, but I wasn’t buying that it was the only other restaurant in the nearby area. I was right – we drove out toward Panicale anyway and came across a wonderful local restaurant called “Il Capriccio” located in Tavernelle, five kilometers closer than the currently-closed restaurant in Panicale that we were told was the closest alternative (I submitted “Il Capriccio’s information to Tripadvisor to get it listed – if they do end up listing it then I’ll review it. It’s located on Piazza C. Marx 8A/9 in Tavernelle). The restaurant served inexpensive and fabulous regional food and was full of local people (always a good sign). It was one of the best meals we had on the whole trip and the entire bill, including wine, came to about 40 euro for two people. It seemed strange that the staff at Ville Monte Solar were either ignorant of – or deliberately disingenuous regarding – other good restaurant alternatives located literally at the bottom of the hill.

These are somewhat minor issues that didn’t detract from our general enjoyment of the property, but I’m mentioning them in case they would be issue for some people. It won’t stop me from coming back – I loved this hotel and am looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Nun Assisi Relais & Spa Museum
I Capricci di Merion
I Capricci di Merion
#1 of 5 in Tuoro sul Trasimeno

Been to Villa di Monte Solare? Share your experiences!