“Horrendous”
Review of Emsley's Farm Shop

Emsley's Farm Shop
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Yeadon
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Came here with my friend and our 2 baby girls.. love trying out new places for them to play and have fun and thought it was silly we hadn't been here seeing as though it was a 5 min walk away. We arrived at about 12.30 the farm was closed due to rain which I didnt understand as the animals were still out. So we went into the activity barn.. we sat down and ordered some lunch. Whilst waiting we really wished we hadn't ordered food as we were disgusted at how filthy the place was. Flies everywhere. Half an hour later amd we still had no food. When it did eventually come it wasn't what we ordered. The staff didn't seem to care either. After finally having lunch. We took the babies to play. The bouncy castle was deflated.. kids left unattended in the sand pit so just throwing sand at people. There were Broken toys. It was just horrendous. We were gutted and left. Will not be returning.

5  Thank LouandAiden

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Not as impressed this time as on our first visit, yes there are one or two loose and roaming animals, mainly Rabbits, Goats or Chickens, but children should be Ok if properly supervised. There is an old tractor for kids to play on in the paddock, a small lake with water birds including Black Swans and a pen with what looked like micro pigs in it. The cost of the activity barn has risen, considerably more than inflation I might add. It is well worth bringing your children along if you've never been before, but if it's a nice day and busy, parking can be at a premium.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have been a loads of times and taken my 3 year old to the play area on the farm.
The farm and the activity barn are now apparently separate business (so told my a member of staff who came back after the change of ownership) I believe this is now why the barn has had a make over.
The play area is so fantastic for young children, food is great and a very fair price!
My daughter loves it here! All the young girls that work here are so cheeeful and friendly.
It sadden me to read bad reviews about this place, of course it gets messy and busy over lunch times etc but its a great place, Iv met a few mums here and we now come together, it's lovely!

1  Thank Gracesmith34
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Visited today with my family including my 3.5yr old, even though I had read reviews of good and bad, I decided to give it a go. On entering the first section where all the different sorts of hens were it was immediately clear that they were in a bad way. One hen had all its head feathers missing - a sign of disress. The floors were very clearly not regularly cleaned. In the guinea pigs there were 3 dead babies with flys on them. Everything was absolutely filthy. Seeing the rabbits and other guinea pigs with a very clear skin condition. In the donkey area, again there was something dead in its bed area. The small pond had some beautiful black swans and their signets, but a dead duck floating in the water. Loads of branches from trees floating in the water. In the bird cages they were filthy. It was ver clear that the filth and build up of animal poo had been there for a very long time. 2 young girls had pointed out a rabbit with a deformed foot, one of them said that her mum worked in the childrenz barn and she had spoken to the manager a few times but he didnt do anything. While I was there I spoke to two other women with there children, the women were clearly distressed by what they had seen. Towards the end of our visit my husband said it is the worst farm he had ever seen and we woudnt be returning. As we were getting into our car the manager had gone to get the dead guinea pigs after the young girls must have gone and got him. I hope the rspca go and visit.........

2  Thank 774Linda
See more reviews
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We went to Emsley's to see the animals and were absolutely appalled at what we saw. Children and adults alike are able to man-handle the animals to the point of causin injury or death to the poor creatures. The state of some of the animals was shocking and we were so disturbed by this that we had to leave. I would recommend they do not allow people to handle the animals and that some level of supervision is provided to protect their welfare. But I would not recommend the place or the farm shop which didnt sell much more than what you can get at your normal supermarket.

1  Thank BecMoore