My Salerno Apartment
Relais Paradiso(Vietri sul Mare)
US$580
US$558
Lloyd's Baia Hotel(Vietri sul Mare)
US$163
US$136
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Vietri Coast(Vietri sul Mare)
US$180
US$171
Hotel Bristol(Vietri sul Mare)
US$122
US$118
US$228
US$103
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Raito(Vietri sul Mare)
US$301
US$239
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Voce del Mare(Vietri sul Mare)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$118
US$59
B&B.it
  • Breakfast included
Hotel La Lucertola(Vietri sul Mare)
TripAdvisor
Delle Palme(Salerno)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 July 2008

We just finished our stay in Salerno and really appreciated the 'homey' and friendly feel at the apartment and the freedom we had there (ie. kitchen use). We got all the information we needed in English to get around easily and had the nicest experience possible. The area was really convenient and we had everything we needed outside the door or within a very short distance. Salerno in general is also cheap if you like to eat out, and eat out well!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 March 2008

We had so much fun staying here. Diane and Giuseppe were great guides and wonderful hosts. They let us know where to eat and what to see. We did not have any trouble finding it with Diane's directions. It was such a great deal. Some of my fondest memories of my trip to Europe was sitting having some wine and talking with Giuseppe and Diane. The apartment is in a great area, and Salerno is central to Naples, Pompei, Amalfi, and Positano. It is really easy and cheap to get to all of the places from the bus. I would love to make it back to Salerno someday. Thank you for such a great experience.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank v4switchstance
Reviewed 6 November 2007

I tend to travel solo on a budget and MySalernoApartment was more than I could have possibly hoped for. I stayed there for one week in April and truly had a wonderful time. The proprietor, Dianne Drew, has an amazing sense of what is important in making a vacation experience memorable, inexpensive and convenient -- and that's exactly what my experience was. The accomodations are clean and cute -- I love the new bathroom! Dianne's basset hound named Beau and her sweet cat, Higgins were great company and added additional warmth to the home. The B&B is easily accessible to town, trains, buses and boats to nearby naples, amalfi, capri, pompeii, positano and sorrento. Dianne is also extremely personable and caring and provided me with everything I needed to know about Salerno and surrounding areas, the culture, food and language.

By the way, with regard to an earlier post, I initially arrived at the B&B via cab and the driver followed Dianne's directions with no problem at all. I am terrible with directions myself, but in solo excursions I took, I had no trouble returning to the B&B by asking bus attendants, policemen, and passersby. It is truly accessible and easy to find and I highly recommend this B&B to anyone who is looking for a unique, homely experience on a budget. I'll definitely be back next time I go to southern, italy and have recommended it to all my friends, couples and singles alike.

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank sundaance
Reviewed 7 October 2007

What good is a place if you can’t find it? We were really looking forward to staying in a local Italian urban neighborhood and getting away from big hotels. We reserved for 3 days at My Salerno Apartment and sent in our deposit as requested. Diane sent us directions from Mapquest on how to get there.

The map was clearly confused, complex (over 30 turns) and just plain wrong. Many streets did not connect to the next, the names were wrong and the directions absolutely impossible. In Mapquest’s defense, Salerno is a rabbit-warren of tiny streets, often one-way, filled with cars, buses and delivery vehicles. Diane had never tested the map or tried to follow it.

We started following the directions at 2 pm, and spent the next three hours searching. About 5, we called Diane who was at work, could not come find us and could not tell us how to get there. As we thought we were close, we asked everyone we could find, the post office, a security guard, police, delivery men, old men on benches and young men on bikes. Nobody knew where her street was.

By six the streets were overwhelmed by traffic and any possible parking disappeared. By seven, tired and frustrated, we fled town and found a hotel elsewhere.

We let Diane know as soon as we got internet access. It was not our fault that we could not find the place, but she refused to return the deposit. It may have been lovely; Dianne may have been a nice person, but she was not pleasant or understanding to us. Travelers beware.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travlin22006
Yourhost, host/manager at My Salerno Apartment, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2007

I can understand the frustration of anyone who is travelling and has become lost. But the fact are as follows:

It was more than 2 hours after their scheduled arrival time when theses guests finally decided to call me on their cel. after they had been lost for that amount of time. As their cel phone was constantly cutting out communication between both parties was limited. While I was trying to understand where they were and then trying to suggest they find a cafe for a short time to take 'time out' (as I would have come to meet them if we could establish a locale) their cel yet again was cutting out /shutting down - and at that point they must have decided to abandon their reservation.
I waited another 6 hours to hear news from them. Apparently they had found alternate accommodation, and would have likely had access to a phone - but still did not give me the courtesy of letting me know they were not coming.

They stated to me after in an email they could not find a phone booth or "phone chip" - is this my fault as well? There are several in the city. Driving in Italy is difficult even for the locals and I told them previously in an email that parking is a challange but there are pkg. lots where you can pay (-this fact is stated on my website). I doubt that Salerno could be much different than many other Italian cities or certain other cities in the world for that matter. Even if parking was 'impossible' like they said why not do like the locals: dbl park for a minute, have one person run out, and get info or call from a booth???? These folks stated to me they were "expert travellers." ut in the last 3 years: Never has anyone - NOT showed up and honorued a reservation simply beacuse they couldn't find my place..

I pride myself on excellent and personalised service. I do everything I possibly can for my guests. But I feel I am in no way responsible for thier misfortune. Therefore I would like to share the response I sent to these guests after receiving a disturbing email from them.
I hope that whoever reads their 'NON-REVIEW' can keep an open mind.
---
II find your letter very upsetting. What you are expressing to me is that due to a series of unforunate circumstances, you could not honor your reservation with me. You therefore gave up without contacting me further, hold me responsible, and are now requesting that I return your
non-refundable deposit, having just suffered a loss of 3 nights, or you will complain about my place on Tripadvisor even though in the end you have never seen or stayed there and have no experience of it?

I truly believe the concept behind Tripadvisor is a good one - it's
great to be able to read other people's experiences in an effort to
know more details about a property, above and beyond what those
properties advertise about themselves. How would you be qualified to
write about my place when in the end you did not see it? Would you really take the time and energy to encourage others to avoid my property, therefore hurting my business, simply because you couldn't find it - all over 20 euro? I find that suggestion absurd and downright petty. I realate it to a kind of extorsion that is so unjust from a business and personal point of view, that I couldn't ethically concede to your request and refund your money and know that I had essentially bought your quietude based on a malicious threat. If I did, I would be a participant in such a scheme, basically giving money to avoid a bad review - and I truly believe that that is not what the essence of Tripadvisor - or the spirit of foreign travel, is all about.

I am very sorry you had trouble finding my place. Those directions have been plenty effective in the past for other guests - as in the 3 years I have been in operation all other guests have managed to make it with, or without additional assitance. I have suffered a loss as well as you.

Once within my walls, I am in charge. But outside my flat, I have no control over the reality of Italian street signs, the ability of others to communicate and give directions, the functionality of your cell phone, or your sense of direction. Therefore, as sorry as I am, I feel that I am in no way responsible for the fact that you got lost, (or couldn't find a phone chip or parking in order to contact me further for additional assistence), and I can't imagine any other hotel that would accept responsibility for such a voluntary cancelation either.

Ultimately, it was you, not I, that decided to stay elsewhere. At some point, you decided not to continue trying - that does not constitute the lack of availability of your room or a discrepancy on
my part to honor the reservation you had made. It was completely voluntary on your part, due to, as you say, unfortunate circumstances.

I hope you can appreciate that as much as I would prefer to refund your money, take the moral highroad, and let this problem end here, I found this whole situation, and your backhanded accusations that this was somehow my fault, and then your threat to slander me, totally
offensive. Thus, on principle alone, I have no intention of refunding your deposit.

Reviewed 30 April 2007

We second the other nice reviews. Our nice hostess gave us excellent tips and we were very comfortable. We thought the overall experience was a perfect balance between tourism hot-spots and authentic, untainted off-the-beaten-track Italy!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple