I just got home from a 2 nights stay at Mabula. Had gone there with a group of 24 women. We checked in late after a long journey from Hermanus. I was pleasantly surprised that they kept the lunch till 3:30 p.m. just so the group didn't miss lunch.
I got Indian food in Africa after almost 8 nights and was more than happy with that. After a rushed lunch we sprinted for the 3:30 Game Drive. I got on M17- and SAM was our Ranger. Sam proved very lucky for us and in the 3 drives that we took, we sighted lions, elephants, hippos, rhinos, zebra and a variety of birds and antelopes.
We had room 219 at the far end of the lodge. The room was spacious and rustic in a way. But I liked it a lot. However here are the issues that I had with mabula:
1. The safe and the phone in the room were not working and in spite of repeated requests at the front desk nothing was done. No action taken.
2. At all times of interaction the front desk staff were only pleasant with whites or colored people. Us- Asians are kind of treated pretty rudely. I really wanted to tell them that your owner is an Indian so guys have some respect. You come from Nelson Mandela's country, you should not treat people on basis of thr skin color.
3. one of the group members wanted to know if there is a phn in the premises where pre-paid cards can be used. She was curtly told "I dont know" by the front office staff. BTW, right next to the wildlife activity centre there is one. Can someone working with mabula miss that kind of detail??
4. During our lunches and dinners at the restaurant- many times i was told "dont sit on this table, go sit somewhr else". Why??? What if I just wanted to sit on that particular table??? Did i pay for this kind of rude remark???
5. The linens in the room were not well cleaned. they had stain marks and sheets not white but almost pale beige.
6. On the last night, I asked for my bills. Since i was on a full board package only had to settle 2 bottles of water and one margarita. Apparently, another guest from 129 had signed a sprigboke shot under my room number. The minute I checked the bill and brought up the issue- the front office person started with "you should settle at the bar in the first place, why leave it for later". I had to go to the extent of telling her that a 15 Rand springboke is not a big deal in terms of money that i will cheat Mabuala for that. At the end it got sorted fine, but again the way i was treated for mentioning a wrong bill...was really disappointing.
The only good thing about mabula was the wonderful and warm attitude of rangers like yanni and sam. Else i felt very badly treated and I ahve travelled a lot across the globe and nowhere did i feel i am badly treated only coz i have brown skin. Sad that a country where apartheid is abolished has this attitude till date. INDIANS do Not Go to MABULA coz there is no respect for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set against a backdrop of lush green mountainous vegetation, Mabula Game Lodge is set in one of South Africa's finest private game reserves. Only two hours north of Johannesburg, this 12000ha reserve is home to an abundance of animal and birdlife, including the "Big 5." All 47 rooms are air-conditioned, contain LCD flat-screen television, en-suite bathroom, telephone, hair dryer, safe and tea/coffee making facilities. Dining venues, outdoor cocktail and whiskey bar, swimming pools, tennis court, children's programme, safaris in open 4x4 vehicles, horseback safaris, archery, paintball, star gazing, eco adventure safaris, guided bush walks, crocodile feeding demonstrations, snake demonstrations and the Ground Hornbill Project and reptile centre. Mabula can assist with all conference requirements, including venues, informal breakaway rooms, private dining facilities and team building activities. Children 0-5 stay complimentary when sharing with parent; 6-11 years pay 50% of the adult sharing rate. 12 years and older pay full adult rate and occupy their own rooms. The lodge is situated in a malaria-free area. Gate entry fees are applicable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, South African Hotels, Agoda, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Mabula Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mabula Game Hotel Mabula Private Game Reserve