“Nice overnight stay”
Review of Ligena Hotel

Ligena Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boryspil
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We found ourselves in this hotel due to the delay of our flight that forced us to sleep one night in Kiev or rather in Borispol. The ground staff of Ukraine International Airlines sent us to spend 24 hours in this hotel and of course we were expecting something dull and cheap.
Surprisingly we found hotel Ligena to be a rather nice place with a good restaurant, swimming pool and WiFi in the rooms.
The staff was friendly and the whole stay was pleasant.
The only important note: the location of this hotel is as bad as it can get. It is hidden somewhere in suburban Borispol and it does not seem possible to find it if you are not taken there by the hotel transport or by taxi.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Others had praised the "wonderful" restaurant so we were looking forward to a delicious dinner. We didn't get one! The beautiful child with minimal English who served us was unable to satisfy my vegetarian friend - practically everything she asked for from the menu was unavailable. I asked for chicken on the BBQ. It took so long that I had eaten the veg I'd ordered to go with it by the time it came, and my friend had finished her meagre meal, too. The Ukrainian wine that was offered us wasn't great: we left half the bottle.

The next morning we had a "quick" breakfast in the dining room near the reception. There was only one other couple but it took ages just to get a cup of coffee. I had paid for breakfast in advance & was given a voucher. The same child made me understand that I couldn't have the juice in her fridge on a voucher breakfast. I asked for bread, butter & jam with my cup of coffee. I was allowed bread but not butter or jam! At this point I stormed off to the receptionist who has good English and raised Cain. She called the waitress and told her to give me these items. Sulkily, the lass buttered two slices of bread for me and gave me a paper stick containing a little jam. I got some juice, too but I thought this very poor.
I also did not apreciate being told I would have to pay extra if I wanted to use the pool.
Having said that, I really appreciated the free shuttle to the airport (15 minutes' drive.) A car collected the two of us promptly at 7.30 as requested, and the driver took our heavy suitcases right into the airport for us.
Our rooms were comfortable enough though there was no fridge, and the gardens are quite pretty.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor - rooms 204 and 206 - overlooking the garden and entrance. There is a l...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel was very comfortable. The room was large and modern. The AC worked great, which has been a problem at other Ukrainian hotels. The indoor swimming pool was awesome. There are 2 fantastic restaurants here, with excellent food, and good prices. The hotel grounds are well cared for, and enjoyable to stroll around. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The only slight drawback was having to pay for the airport transfer. It was more expensive than a taxi. It was a little noisy staying on the front of the hotel, because of people talking loudly near the entrance and restaurants. I would definitely stay here again.. but not in a front facing room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not overlook the hotel front.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Captchris59
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I found this hotel on Trip Advisor becasue it is near the Kiev airport. I flew from the East coast of USA through Frankfurt to Kiev, and needed a stop over place before proceeding. Despite the fact that my Frankfurt to Kiev flight was 2.5 hours late, the hotel staff was waiting to pick me up in the complimentary shuttle. The facilty is very clean. The grounds are in a protected area, and quite nice. The surrounding area is not too good, and probably speaks more to a bygone era, but the facility itself is clearly safe. There was always someone on the hotel staff that could speak enough English to accomplished what we needed to do. The hotel driver even took me to a local mall, complimentary, to kill some time, before my next flight. The rooms were clean and quiet. The inhouse restaurant was fine. The prices were great. The photos on the web accuractely portray the grounds and surroundings. The internet was a little spotty, good enough for email, and not always fast enough, or clear enough for consistenly clear Skype.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank 805teacher
Reviewed 6 September 2013

If you're suffering from nostalgia for Soviet style interior and service, this is the place.

Everything, starting from room interior to breakfast hark back to Soviet times. My room was dubbed "junior suite", however it was a bleak double.

The hotel advertises that it is only some 3 km from the airport. In fact, the driving distance is twice as much.

Room Tip: Ask for a full suite, nothing less.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Ariel857
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I found this hotel on the internet while searching for an accommodation close to Borispol airport to stay for the same night, having missed my flight. I booked through hotels.com website while still at the airport, and when I arrived in the hotel after an hour, they were aware of my booking! That was a real gamble in Ukraine conditions, but worked pretty well.

Ligena is a lovely hotel in the suburbs of Kiev, 10-15 min. drive to the airport. I also discovered that they have a free shuttle service to and from the airport. There’s not much around it for the regular tourist. It is situated in a calm green area, has seating places in the garden. The hotel seems to be mainly catering for Ukrainian and Russian-speaking folks. Fortunately at least one staff in the reception and in the restaurant speaks English, otherwise communicating could be a bit difficult. I have not tried the pool, fitness centre or sauna.

Rooms are large, clean, and generally in good order except having some old and broken stuff (head lamp, hangers in the closet). There’s an AC and TV, but the only English channel is euronews. Breakfast and dinner are served in the small bar/restaurant on the ground floor. Dinner was somehow included in the price category that I booked, although it took me some time to understand that! You are given a dinner voucher at the reception, and you can order from a short list of soups/salads/ main courses/deserts in the restaurant with that. Coffee/tea is included in the dinner ‘package’, but water and other drinks are paid additionally.

At 65 $/night, Hotel Ligena is convenient when you want to stay close to the airport. Like in many other hotels in Ukraine, it partly provides the usual services expected in Europe, but some services and mentality continue to remain very ‘Soviet style’, so it may be an interesting experience for people out of the region.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Oya A
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The Hotel is clean, the rooms are big and everyone at Reception is helpful and very efficient. The Restaurant serves a variety of good Ukrainian Food , which does have an English version on the back of the Menu. The Transport was efficient and free even though I had to leave at 3.50am. Sadly I did not ask for transport to meet me and was well and truly ripped off by a taxi on my arrival, so asking for transport to meet you is vital.

Had it not been for the thin walls which I had the displeasure to meet up with on my return visit, when the people next to me were having a very noisy party indeed, which made sleep impossible, I would have given this Hotel a much better rating. Considering the cost of the place, I think thatr it is very good value indeed

Room Tip: Room 202 has a very nice Bay Window, making the room larger
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boryspil
GreLive
#1 of 1 in Hatne
Grand Sport Hotel
Grand Sport Hotel
#1 of 1 in Brovary

Been to Ligena Hotel? Share your experiences!