“Don't get the Duck!”

The Lamb Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Chinley
Price range: US$5 - US$23
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: A country pub in the Peak District serving hearty meals with real ales, continental lagers and great wines in a setting bestowing a 18th century inn now with en-suite bedrooms.
Hazel Grove
“Don't get the Duck!”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Nice lay-out inside and out. My partner had lamb steak which was gorgeous, but the duck from the specials was tasteless. My meal was saved by the cheesecake, which was huge!

“What are bottled beers?”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We decided to dine here last night after a recommendation from his parents - they sort-of delivered.

From the outside the Lamb Inn looks like a cute and cosy pub - and the interior matches the exterior. It was very moody, dark stone walls and candles on every table. We had a table booked for 8pm and all the other tables were occupied so the place had a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

We were greeted as soon as we walked through the door and taken to our table. I ordered a large glass of Rioja and my partner asked which bottled beers they have - the waitress looked at him like he had 2 heads and it seemed like it had only just dawned on her that beer also comes in bottles. He had to escort her to the bar to point out that it does indeed come in glass containers and he managed to pick one from the selection of 5. This was obviously news to the waitress.

The Lamb Inn has a fairly extensive menu - classic british dishes and additions of Asian flavours. I chose the 10z lamb rump (£12.95) which was served medium rare with chips, seasonal veg and Diane sauce (extra £2.50). He chose the duck breast served with sticky rice and pak choi. I reminded him we were in an English pub and he would probably be better choosing something more traditional but it fell on deaf ears and his order of fusion cuisine went to the kitchen. Alas I was proved right.

My main course of lamb was as close to perfect as you can get. Lamb was pink and soft, the chips were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, al Dante vegetables and a rich Diane sauce to drown the plate. The duck however was not the culinary delight he had hoped for. He described it as tasteless, and was very disappointed. Apparently it was not worth it's £14.95 price tag - more like £6.00. That said he ate it all and wimped out of saying anything when the waitress asked us how it was (I think she was still in shock from beer-gate).

The dessert redeemed the lamb inn for my partner as he ordered one massive slice of vanilla cheesecake with berries. This was particularly amazing.

The bill totalled £42.50 and he very begrudgingly parted with the money for his duck main. On the whole I really enjoyed the Lamb Inn and would definitely go back for more of the same - he would probably take my advise next time. For me 8/10 for him 6/10.

“A real find”
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

After a 10 mile walk in the Peaks, a hearty meal was required. Having driven past the Lamb Inn on the way to our walk we decided to call in for dinner on our way home. Fantastic food (particularly the baked Camembert) and friendly service.

1 Thank JennaBruce
Derby, United Kingdom
“First time visit”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Have driven past the Lamb on many occasions and always intended to visit, visited with my wife and must say can't wait to visit again, excellent menu and some of the best food we've had in a long time.
Service was a bit disjointed, had to ask for cutlery, condiments and had to remind them we had ordered coffee, one cup came ten minutes after the first.
Despite this it really is well worth a visit, you will not be disapointed

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Be better if you could keep your table”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Table not set for correct number of people. Had meal and then asked if we would vacate table however should we wish to continue drinking we could of course go to the bar!! No mention when booking that the dinner would be timed. Service was poor with one in particular who obviously did not want to work on a Sunday.

2 Thank Travelling51