“Cosy pub serving good food”
Review of The Lamb Inn

The Lamb Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Chinley
Price range: US$5 - US$24
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A country pub in the Peak District serving hearty meals with real ales, continental lagers and great wines in a setting bestowing a 18th century inn now with en-suite bedrooms.
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Have visited The Lamb on quite a few occasions. In fact we had our works Christmas meal there in December 2013. The Lamb is a country pub and has a very cosy feel to it. Have never had a bad meal and would certainly recommend it. The staff are always friendly and efficient.

1  Thank Ann T
There are newer reviews for The Lamb Inn

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The Lamb had been recommend by friends a number of weeks ago, we decided to give it ago today and really pleased we did. It was really busy but staff were cheerful and helpful, good selection of beer and wine. The roast pork was to die for, the best non home cooked roast I've had out, the beef burger was beautiful too. Will certainly go back agin and try other items on the menu.
We sat outside in the garden as we had dogs with us, but indoors was a typical country pub, lovely fire and very cosy and comfortable. Plenty of magazines and newspapers too, nice touch.

1  Thank Alymandy
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

My partner and I went to The lamb Inn last night. We have been once before - last summer - and my lady had the lump rump, which was lovely, so we were returning specifically for that dish. Anyway, down to business: we shared a nice starter from the specials menu and the both ordered our eagerly-anticipated lamb. It arrived, nicely presented etc looking appetizing, but on my partner's first mouthful she realised it was beef! She has a much more sophisticated pallet than myself, so I knew that her judgement would be correct but, belts & braces, I tasted mine, too. Also beef. 100%. I informed the waitress; she sent the manageress over, to whom we explained this puzzling occurrence. She took my plate of food back to the kitchen to speak with the chef. A few tension-filled minutes later, she returned to tell us that it had definitely come out of the lamb packet - I eat beef steak regularly: that was beef steak. In the end, to save the hassle, we just said we'd have the imposter that we'd been originally served, which by this time, along with the chips and veg, had lost some of its heat. The manageress said they'd "sort something out" for us, to compensate for our emotional ordeal. We finished the mains, which were nice (as expected) then shared a cheesecake (lovely), and awaited the offer they had promised to formulate to put at ease a distressed punter, which I clearly was. The waitress delivered the bill, and, with it, proclaimed in a victorious tone that they had "knocked off the desert". Well, I went ballistic. Just the desert?? This is an outrage, I said. A scandal. I drew myself up to my full sitting height and, in the most authoritative voice I could muster at the time (still being in partial shock) I requested the presence of the owners. A jolly faced soul - goes by the name of Fiona, I think - appeared, and was very sympathetic to our plight. She offered to remove both mains from the bill and apologised profusely. Offered accepted, said I. I then paid and exited the building to a smattering of applause, fanning my feathers as I went, my girlfriend bobbing along admirably in my wake.
It would've been a 4* review, as everything was to a really good standard, but we were served the wrong food, so could only give 3.
That said, the error was dealt with politely and professionally, meaning we will definitely be going back.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

It was our third visit today and it never disappoints. The food is tasty, well prepared and presented and there's plenty of it. There's a fantastic choice one the menu. Tonight we had the lamb Henry, rabbit stew and lasagne. Clean plates all round, devoured with enthusiasm. The staff are genuinely friendly and engaging and the ambience is relaxed and inviting. Hits the spot on all levels.

1  Thank Steve045
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We had been recommended this pub, so we got to the pub at 7.50pm could see chef still in the kitchen, my husband went in to ask if we could have a meal and was told they stop serving at 7.30, i would have thought as times for the pub trade are not as good as it used to be and it was not in the holiday season, they would have made the effort to offer us a meal.That's the trouble with England some places are not enterprizing enough. It's the same with tea shops they close at 5.0pm on a lovley sunny day when they could be making more money. Never mind we went and had a nice Indian meal.

2  Thank grubbies
Djsquiffy, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

We don't normally respond to reviews but we will make an exception to you! we serve food until 9pm during the week and until 8pm on sunday. One of our chefs was on holiday so as the other had been on since 8am in the morning we stopped with the last booked table at 7.15 which means after the order comes to the kitchen and the meal is cooked that would be 8pm plus at least half to thee quarters of an hour to clean down and do the orders, which in any ones terms is a dam long day.As you mention you were recommended to come here for a meal and on weekends (and during the week we are busy) so booking will guarantee a table and we would have been able to tell you that we were finishing early on this occasion, we do not really understand why you feel the need to put such a silly remark on trip adviser.