“Great experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Ben Eoin B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

The Birches was a beautiful country inn/bed & breakfast to stay in. We were wishing we could stay longer and enjoy the hospitality and friendliness of the owners & staff. The decorating of the individual rooms is done with taste and love as indicated with all the home made quilts displayed throughout the inn. We would definately return on our next visit to Cape Breton.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Woodstock, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

We stayed here for four nights and found the property to be quiet, admittedly the near by road does offer some noise, but with the windows open a little, we slept well despite the heat. The air-conditioning was effective but too noisy to sleep with it on. When I requested a fan, I believe Barb & Larry (the owners) went and bought one for us! That fact is VERY impressive and it provided enough air circulation for us to sleep for 11 hours one night.

The suite had a large sofa, separate table and chairs, a very comfortable king bed, great linen, satellite TV and an electric fire....more of that later....The bathroom had a jacuzzi tub (noisy) and was an all in one plastic affair, spotlessly clean, but I do dislike them (my little foible) as they look so cheap. The 'smellies' on offer were good and there were lots of towels.

The owners Barb & Larry could not be more personable & helpful. Russ their manager was a true professional and a great asset to the business. He meets and greets in a charming and friendly but not intrusive way.

Their restaurant, where we had dinner on 3 nights, is EXCELLENT!!!!! If you book their Romance package it is even better value, with a simple selection of dishes, prepared well and executed with flair. The fish chowder gets a 10 out of 10! For a small inn to offer such a standard of food, let alone restaurant surroundings, is very unusual, and deserves as other reviewers have mentioned, to be highly recommended.

And to put my slant on the previous reviewers issues, some of which I feel were a little unreasonable.....
1) There is a road by the inn, and with the windows open you do hear traffic....BUT...I'm a light sleeper.... and with a fan on and the windows open I slept fine. In the cooler months with the windows closed you would hear very little.
2) $199 per night for one of the indulgent suites is NOT expensive as the standard of fixtures are high.
3) The wrap around deck can be walked around but all rooms seem to have net curtains and heavy drapes.
4) The lake view is beautiful and it is over the road. It certainly impressed us, but it was not a photographers dream.
5) The grounds...well you can walk right from the property onto a golf course and up ski runs in the forest to the top of a hill....that's grounds enough for me!
6) The breakfast was simple and offered enough to start your day. The ingredients were good.
7) The electric fireplaces in the room are NAFF......but you can simply ignore them.

I must also come clean and I say I co-own an award winning in located in Woodstock VT, so my standards are VERY high and are often not met. My suggestions for our room would be:
1) A small CD/radio system as we are not TV junkies...perhaps an all in one DVD/CD unit?
2) In the bedroom better reading lighting, the central lights are too bright and kill the atmosphere and the 2 free standing lights and bedside lights have too weak bulbs or cannot be angle directed to read by.
3) The bathrooms are functional, but do not match the quality of the bedroom or inn in general. This was I feel a missed opportunity.
4) With two such talented chefs why not make your own jam and marmalade for the breakfast service? The pre-packaged ones offered do look cheap compared to the table service and hand made pottery etc.
5) Perhaps some fresh flowers in the room..small thing but they would really keep up your high standards.
6) A wish not easy to execute...a real wood burning stove in your entrance lobby would complete the setting of the sweeping staircase. The smell and effect would really set off a great first impression. Had I built the inn a real fireplace and stone chimney would have been placed there, but to retro fit would be too expensive. The existing electric fire just doesn't do that trick.....and as mentioned we think they are really naff.

So in summary my only dislike was the electric effect fire....and I can live with that!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Davidbignose!
BELLINGHAM
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2010

We were really surprised to be so unimpressed with this place. It was the most expensive place we stayed in an 8 nite tour of the maritimes and we were just "eh" about it. Our room was expensive, 199 a nite. It was large, but not special. Since it was on the second floor, other guests could walk around the wrap around deck and look into the windows of our room - which they did! So we had to close the drapes early while it was light outside. Also the room is on the opposite side of the lake road, so you see only parts of the lake through trees. It is very close to the road, you have to close the windows or you hear vehicles going by all nite.

The fireplace is fake - electric. We didn't bother to turn it on. There are no grounds - there is a large hot tub and that is it. Breakfast was a buffet of cold cereal, yogurt and things you could toast yourself. Disappointing. Hosts were very nice.

On the other hand, the dinner was excellent. The food was great, the best meal we had on the trip. It was expensive, but worth it. We would eat here again!

Save yourself some money, stay somewhere else, but eat there for dinner.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TravelCallie
MTL, CANADA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2010

I was truely delighted by the warm, friendly hospitality from the owners. They are so nice! The food at the restaurant was excellent. I live in Montreal, and I can say that the supper and breakfast I had were 5star. The rooms were so clean and so charming! I was surprised there was a fireplace in the room. The decor was really original too. It felt like a bed and breakfast. I want to go back!! Of course the location seems odd, but they make up for it in service, attention to detail and comfort!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
cape breton, nova scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2010

This was the second time we had an early xmas party for ouselves. Instead of going out to dinner and buying gifts we pooled our monies together and spent a lovely overnite stay at the birches. We enjoyed a gourmet dinner with all the trimmings and services. And of course the outdoor hottub. What can I say it was awesome. As a bunch of health care professionals we are use to caring for other people so this is a luxury for us. I cannot say enough about the hospitality, decor and food. Touche". You will probably see us again for our next year xmas party....

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank heatherbear56
Cape Breton Island, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2009

Such a wonderful Inn in a fantastic area of Cape Breton. Inn Keeper Barb was very friendly and attentive to all our needs.
The rooms are decroated beautifully and the outdoor hottub was a great way to end the days.
This Inn is highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
GA!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2009

My mother and I stayed at The Birches in October and loved it! Larry and Barbara are superb hosts and treated us with so much hospitality we didn't know what to do with ourselves! The on-site restaurant was 5 star. The rooms were very clean, comfortable, and quiet. It's obvious that the hosts paid attention to the details when they built their beautiful inn. Larry, thanks for the great stories! The best to you both!

• Stayed October 2009
Cabot Shores Wilderness Resort
Auld Farm Inn B & B
Auld Farm Inn B & B
#2 of 18 in Baddeck

Been to The Birches at Ben Eoin Country Inn? Share your experiences!