“Definitely Awesome!”

Danat Jebel Dhanna Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Jebel Dhanna
Reviewed 23 February 2009

Although this hotel is rated as #1 in Abu Dhabi hotels, and my review wouldn't add much to the overall .. but I wanted to speak from my own experience ..

This hotel is absolutely great for a day or two to relax, it is really good for romantic nights for couples ..

I actually couldn't find anything that I can spot! Except for the relatively high price, but it's really worth it. From the moment of check-in to the clean and luxurious room to the fantastic swimming pool and bar .. everything is just great. I've had dinner with my family directly on the beach, and it was BBQ (Mainly seafood) which was delicious and the atmosphere was really great with the sea breeze (the hotel do not officially offer this kind of special preparation meal, so you have to ask them .. and I think they agreed because we were more than 10 persons).
I haven't tried the hotel's restaurant but my nephew did and he liked it. The view from the rooms is beautiful, directly on the beach. The hotel at night is amazing with dimmed light on walkways. The bar is nice with live band singing. (Although it's a sports bar and I'm not a sport guy, but I liked it ..)

They have some Arabian style sitting area in the garden, it's good to relax in for an hour or so .. and it's private (there are curtains).

The only thing that annoyed me was the reception calling us more than one time and asking us to close the room balcony door!! (The A/C is automatically programmed to turn off after leaving the door opened for about 10 minutes) it's accepted that the A/C will be automatically turned off, but it's totally inconvenient and not professional for a 5* hotel to keep calling and asking to close the balcony door! (They called at late night once!)

I would go back there if I go to U.A.E ..

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 December 2008

First Impressions

We are an expat couple living in the UAE who were looking for a hotel to escape Abu Dhabi for a relaxing Christmas. 2.5 hours west from the Capital towards the Saudi border lies a hotel that is pretty much in the middle of nowhere (except for maybe a few oil refineries down the road!).

Check in

Check in was actually a nice experience and was one of only a handful of hotels I have visited where the encounter is different to the typical 'Hilton-esque' experience of queuing at the counter and completing the formalities. We were seated, offered a drink and some cool towels which was welcomed after the long trip. We were personally taken to our room and given an introduction to the services.

The Room

Don't worry about having ocean views – every room faces the ocean and the views over the gulf to Sir Bani Yas Island are spectacular (all be it for a few oil tankers that wander past). We had a room on the executive level (Level 5 of 5) and were welcomed with chocolates, fruit and complementary wine and water. The room was modern, large and not cluttered. The bathroom was very nice and although the shower head was not the best, all the other fittings were modern and fitted the décor. Two bath duckies were a cute addition.

The mattress was extremely hard yet offered one of the best nights sleeps I have had in a hotel. Free internet access was available to those bring a laptop, however the TV was clearly not as modern as the room (Note to hotel developers – skimping on TV's is the most visible value engineering you can do!)

A small lounge was adjacent to the bed and was comfortable when having room service or simply relaxing to watch TV or read. The room is very bright and has adequate additional lights which again is surprising with many of the new hotels.

Pool and Beach Area

The hotel was fairly empty so there were no problems with a place to relax by the pool and beach – I would suspect that this would not be the case once the occupancy goes anywhere above 50%. The pool was heated and could be used even past sunset in winter. This was welcomed as the ocean temperature was fairly low and with the sand formation you can walk a kilometre out to sea and still be in knee high water! Service at both the pool and beach are adequate but just make sure you sit away from the serving area otherwise you will hear the chiming call of service every 5 minutes! Limited snacks and cocktails are on offer although what they lack in quantity they make up for in quality – a margarita I had was one of my favourites of anywhere.

Sporting and Relaxation

Tennis courts are available and free to book however if you are looking for a quiet game you may need ear plugs – I have no idea what was next door but it sounded like a mixture of poor karaoke and disco mixed together!

There is a decent sized gym and salon services are offered. I decided to try a 1 hour Swedish massage. I was told by the girl to try have it outside as they were behind on bookings. I looked outside and noted that the outdoor area was not private at all – no shading was provided and it was basically 2 metres from the beach and walkways. The girl however talked me into it and I went for my massage – one of the worst treatments I have ever experienced. Kids screamed, Germans argued, families walked close enough to tap my foot and the wind howled past my ears. The masseuse clearly only knew Balinese methods and therefore stuck to them. The experience was so bad that I actually had a massage back in Abu Dhabi days later to try and get the relaxation back!

Dining

Breakfast was offered as part of the rate and at the buffet – Tides. The selection was nice but the staff really struggled with service and if the restaurant was full they totally dropped the ball. We had a Christmas dinner here (we were the only couple for most of it) and that was a great experience with a fantastic spread. The turkey was the best I have ever had!

I recommend though that for dinner you head to the Italian restaurant just up from Tides. The menu on offer was very nice and both the entrée and main courses we had were modern Italian with a twist. We were the only ones in the restaurant and dined at about half the cost of the buffet and in a much more elegant setting. We came out to see the buffet totally booked out and wondered why this was the case. The only reason I could think of was that the Italian restaurant serves no alcohol.

Overall

We set out to have a Christmas experience that was detached from the hustle and bustle of Dubai and Abu Dhabi. The Danat Resort offers this and while it may lack some of the finer service that you find in a 5 star resort it does try hard to not feel too pompous and stiff. Would I come back again? I would for a relaxing long weekend but anything longer then that and I would head across the border to Oman or take a short flight to SE Asia.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank rmdarnell
Reviewed 4 November 2008

The hotel is some 2 hour drive from Abu Dhabi with nothing but desert en route.
The hotel and especially the staff were excellent throughout our stay.
Lovely beach and never overcrowded the same can be said for the pool area.
Buffet breakfast was excellent as were the evening meals we also tried the Italian which was also very good if a little quiet.
Come here only for relaxation as theres nothing much else to do apart from the gym.
Only downside was that drinks were over pricey even by UAE standards.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2008

This is on of the most beautiful hotels i've ever stayed in, great hospitality, quick service at check in and out. Food is delicious, you must try the steak. if one wants to get the best try to stay at the chalet it's well located and has great atmosphere with nice small terrace.
I stay at this hotel at least once a month if not twice. a great get away
Thanks to miss Bouchra at guest relation she is always a great help. from the moment we arrive till the time we leave.
The hotel is well managed a true five star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank AbuHarley
Reviewed 14 September 2008

Service: Excellent. The staff were extremely friendly, eager to help and attentive.

Rooms: Large, clean with great views and I appreciated the little touches, e.g. fresh fruit in the room.

Beach: Peaceful and relaxing. The water was shallow so good for dipping your feet in but on the downside you did have to walk for ages into the sea if you wanted a swim.

Food: There was a wide selection for the buffet breakfast. Of all the restaurants, the outside fish venue was my favourite by far. Fantastic food and it was wonderful to sit at tables on the beach and eat underneath the the stars. Unfortunately, this restaurant was closed on my next visit a month later due to the climate (too windy).

Location: This was the worst feature of the hotel. It was located 2 hours away from the airport and the city centre and although the location was perfect for the purposes of my business trips, I wouldn't be happy if I was a tourist.

Verdict: Would recommend to anyone who enjoys spending their holiday 24/7 inside their hotel / resort as this one was in the middle of nowhere. Personally, I would get incredibly bored.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank Itchy_Feet_17
Reviewed 12 September 2008

Stayed at the resort from 3-11th September and had an excellent stay. We arrived at 2am due to our flight timings and after a long journey were greeted with chilled face towels and a refreshing long drink as we checked in - much appreciated! The room was furnished to a very high standard and was spotlessly clean as was the rest of the hotel. I appreciated the free internet access in the room - a real plus. The food in the restaurants was of a very high quality although not cheap. The beach and the pool area were fabulous and there were never more than about 6 other guests using the facilities at any one time. The sea is crystal clear and very warm. The hotel is a 2 hour drive from Abu Dhabi airport and is in the middle of nowhere but if you want to chill out and relax for a week it hits all the buttons. The staff are excellent and could not be more helpful. The resort also has a well appointed gym, squash and tennis courts. On our last day due to our flight not departing until late evening I requested and was given a late check out of 5pm! This meant we were able to make full use of our last day on the beach - perfect!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank b19jfm
Reviewed 9 June 2008

The Danat Resort is about 2 hours drive away from Abu Dhabi airport, with very little in between apart from a few small housing complexes, some oil rigs and a lot of sand.

When we arrived at the hotel we were made very welcome by the guest relations staff and provided with a much needed cool towel, and mint and lemon long drink. It was needed and appreciated. Being all-inclusive we were then approached by a manager who read us from a letter, where we could, but more importantly where we couldn’t, use the all-inclusive facilities. This was a little restrictive, but nothing which caused too much concern.

Having opted for a room with a balcony we were pleasantly surprised not only the size and standard of the room, but also with the lovely views.

In early June the weather was very hot, reaching a scorching 45c on occasions. The pool area was very quiet during the day, we were lucky if a dozen people ended up around the pool. The beach was also quiet with many empty sun-beds. The beach did offer a nice breeze from the sea, but the sea was so warm, that in a way it wasn’t refreshing. It is possible to swim in the sea but as others have mentioned, you do have to walk a distance.

The quality of the food in all of the restaurants was superb. On all-inclusive you can eat in dinner any of the three restaurants, but in two of them you are limited to the a la Carte. You won’t be disappointed with any of them.

By the middle of the week, and feeling decidedly overweight, we wished we’d brought our gym shoes. The gym is really quite well appointed. If only they’d sold training shoes, we’d have been well away. My wife had a 1 hour treatment in the massage centre. This included a massage, pedicure and facial and lasted for nearly 2 hours. It was reasonably priced and she was very satisfied.

One of the hotels greatest strengths was the high standard of customer service provided by the staff; everyone from the cleaners to the guitarist in the c-view café deserved a pat on the back. They always made a point of greeting you, but without being overbearing.

We worked out that all-inclusive for 1 week was defiantly a wise move, as drinks and food aren’t cheap, and the hotel has very few alternatives.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MerseaMan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jebel Dhanna
12 mi away
Anantara Sir Bani Yas Island Al Sahel Villa Resort
Anantara Sir Bani Yas Island Al ...
#1 of 3 in Sir Bani Yas Island
Anantara Sir Bani Yas Island Al Yamm Villa Resort
Anantara Sir Bani Yas Island Al ...
#2 of 3 in Sir Bani Yas Island
Dhafra Beach Hotel
Dhafra Beach Hotel
#2 of 2 in Jebel Dhanna
Western Hotel - Ghayathi
Western Hotel - Ghayathi
#79 of 127 in Abu Dhabi
Anantara Desert Islands Resort & Spa
Anantara Desert Islands Resort &...
#3 of 3 in Sir Bani Yas Island
0 mi away
Barracuda Beach Resort
Barracuda Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Umm Al Quwain

Been to Danat Jebel Dhanna Resort? Share your experiences!