Inn at Bay Harbor, Autograph Collection Hotels
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Odawa Hotel(Petoskey)
View Hotel
All reviewsturn down servicefull kitchenmaster suitelake viewnorthern michiganbreakfast buffetoutdoor poolbeautiful hotelfire pitthe cottagesbeautiful roomoff seasonan upgradeshuttle servicemackinac islandboyne highlandsroom rate
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 October 2013

First, the good news - the location is gorgeous, the staff is great

Now the bad news. This is my third visit in 3 years, each time, I've noticed that the hotel is in need of serious maintenance. Everywhere you look the white trim is scuffed, chipped. I don't think it's been repainted since my first visit, that's in the public areas. In the room itself it's even worse. Peeling wallpaper, windows that are dirty. The bathroom was missing a some of the hardware, the floor by the toilet hadn't been cleaned (yuck). Outside my window is a kite stuck in the tree that the bellman pointed out as having been there since early summer. The windows themselves hadn't been cleaned on the outside in quite awhile, lots of spider nests, etc. The furniture finish has peeled, chipped away down to the bare wood.

A year ago, I wrote an email to Marriott Management who forwarded my email to the local hotel management team. They assured me they had the maintenance supervisor getting on top of this. I'm not sure what they meant by that, but I guess it didn't mean anything involving a paintbrush

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Tudor A
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Tried to find the best hotel i can take my family to in Northern Michigan. There is generally a lack of great hotels in this beautiful part of the state, but the Inn at Bay Harbor was a great pick! We were blown away by the service above all things ( great beach view, Clean rooms , complimentary valet service ..etc). People are nice here!
From when you're first greeted at the reservation desk, to the Valet , room service, chef's and the hotel maids. You can tell that there is a consistent warmth that's shared by all towards their guests. Special shout out goes to the two of the most fun Jamaican breakfast chefs that made us feel comfortable while feeding us great omelets. Overall I loved this place. You won't go wrong with this place. the extra dollar you spend here will pay in dividend of good memories for a long time.

Room Tip: The No Brainer - Ask for the "ocean" view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The staff and the resort itself were great. We did something we never do while traveling, we ate dinner every night on-site at the same restaurant at the bar in the South American! The filet was huge, very tender and well seasoned. Suggestion, have them split the filet and serve with the normal sides, easily feeds two. Resort located right on the water, fire-pit complete with S'more Fixings every night. Spa services top-notch, though no wet areas. They have Beach Cruiser Style bikes to use, free of cost for the guests. 26 mile hiking,biking trail within a 1/4 mile of hotel.

The two things that were tacky, they scrambled the Golf Channel and the NFL Channel in our rooms which forced us to go the one of the bars to watch the President's Cup and Thursday Night Football. Both channels were listed on the TV Channel Menu and you would think this category hotel would not resort to such cheap tactics. And they do list themselves as " Golf Resort" which would make one think you could watch the Golf Channel in your own suite!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FuudJunkie
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My wife and I had an opportunity to stay at the Inn for the first time to celebrate our anniversary. We figured that the fall colors, along with plenty of things to do in Petoskey and Charlevoix, would make for a fun escape.

We had driven by Bay Harbor numerous times on other up-north treks and had always wanted to try-out the Inn. As a Marriott gold Elite and with the property flying the Renaissance "flag," I was looking forward to being a guest.

We selected a King studio room, complete with a beautiful view over Lake Michigan. Although the weather was not cooperating (it rained a lot and was cloudy), we were pleased to see a full parking lot when we pulled-into the parking late into the evening.

From the US-31, Bay Harbor looks every bit as impressive as you expect it to be - gorgeous vacation homes, beautiful downtown area, and the general feeling of wealth oozing from every corner. This is definitely not a sleepy, summer town. This is where people live when they truly "arrive."

Upon check-in, we were greeted by a very friendly front desk manager and promptly attended to.

Here are some of my thoughts on the property and our stay:

The GREAT:
- You cannot top this location. It's position within Bay Harbor, bring right on the water, along with close driving proximity to everything and anything you'd want to see. It is truly incomparable.

- The Renaissance bedding package is used in the rooms (one of my favorites - complete with white linen, a down duvet, and plenty of pillows), along with Aveda products in the bathrooms.

- The view from our balcony was stunning. Wish we could have seen a world-famous sunset (it was too cloudy), but even with the weather we had, I could have starred at the lake for hours on end.

The GOOD:
- The staff was always friendly in a genuine, Midwest way.

- Having the village/downtown area of Bay Harbor close-by was nice. We went to breakfast one morning at Pancake House and checked-out many of the local shops.

The BAD:
- The entire property needs a paint job and refurb. It's immediately noticeable - from scuff marks in the hallways to chipped trim work to the balcony railings/pillars having large pieces of cracking/missing paint. I have never seen a Renaissance property so poorly maintained on something so basic. Even the front doors in the lobby were heavily worn-looking and scuffed. Perhaps it was because it was off-season (just after the peak summer season), but something needs to be done.

- The hotel has a wide variety of room types and layouts. I think it would be helpful for all of their floor plans (not just their square-footage and amenities) to be posted onto the Inn's website. For example, our Studio King had ample space and even a nice kitchenette area. However, it also had the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in a resort - even compared to business hotels in New York. Really a letdown. I would have definitely selected a different room type had I known that so much of the room's large square-footage was being used differently.

- The cost per-night was well-above $400/night during our stay. Given all of the above, the Inn is simply not up to the quality/standards you would expect given the price-tag. I would expect Ritz/JW cleanliness & maintenance levels and frankly, I have seen Courtyards around the country that were better taken care of than this property. So disappointing - especially when the online photos look incredible and undeniably five-star.

- The rooms, save the beds, could also use a renovation. For whatever reason, the designer chose an "aged" white-wood material for most of the furniture. As a result, as it has actually aged, the condition looks even worse - with multiple chips in the legs/corners. I also noticed basic things like placards and wall plate labels almost completely worn-off. Again, if this were positioned as a lesser-grade property, I wouldn't have been so surprised.

Room Tip: The Lake Michigan views are worth a splurge!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank number_fourty
Reviewed 26 September 2013

It was interesting to read some negative comments about this hotel as my husband and I found it absolutely great. We normally don't stay in chain hotels when we travel and stick mostly to small inns and B and B's. However, the inn we wanted to stay in was not available as it was full for a wedding. So after shopping around, I decided to book with the Inn at Bay Harbor. Even though there was a convention going on at the same time we were there, we found the hotel lovely. When booking all the rooms overlooking the lake were taken, so we booked a room with a "resort" view. We were pleasantly surprised that our king bed room had a kitchenette and everything was very clean and modern. The bathroom was small, but no big deal. What impressed us the most was the outstanding staff. Everyone, and I mean everyone, called us by our last name and always asked us if they could help us or how our day was going. Very impressive!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple