“Little Things Mean A Lot”
Review of El Pequeno Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chapala
El Pequeno Suites
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Chapala
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Sometimes it's the little things that count such as constant hot water at a great pressure,
thick toilet rolls, soap in both the shower and sink, bottled drinking water in the foyer etc.
I could go on. Yes, the comfortable beds, location, cleanliness, the hospitality of Murray
and Lynn were important too but the personal touches, the well selected tile work and the wonderful roof garden with flower pots and 360 degree views just add to a positive
experience. Thank you both for helping our holiday to be so special.
Enid and Ray

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Thank you very much for a great review, we enjoyed meeting and getting to know the two of you.

We definitely try to make the small things count in our hotel, so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Having travelled alot on business I look for something different then the main stream hotels for vacation. Having found this place on the internet it more then met my expectations. Murray and Lynn were very helpful with information about the Chapala area and directing me in the right direction for getting personalized tours etc. It was definetly a good place to base my holiday from. Staying here felt more like staying at a relatives. I have noticed that no one else has mention that the hotel is just across the street from the police station so safety was not a concern. Will I go back? You bet I will. If you are planning to go the Chapala area for the first time I would highly recommend this little hotel.
Lee

1  Thank Lee E
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Thanks for your nice review Lee,

Glad you felt so comfortable staying with us, it is nice to hear that we have created a warm and family like atmosphere for our guests to enjoy. It was nice to have you here with us and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

El Pequeno Hotel is a charming Mexican hotel find. It has four colorful rooms in all the warm Mexican colors. The baths are large and feature talavera tile. The beds and linens are of good quality and a plus, no earplugs are needed at this little jewel of a hotel. The owners are Canadian and very accommodating. The location is perfect with only one block to the malecon and two blocks to the main street with restaurants and shops. I highly recommend this hotel to enhance your Chapala stay.

1  Thank LaQueretana
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

Thanks for a lovely review, we enjoyed meeting you and hearing your travel tales.

Many of our guests comment about how convenient the location is here. We have not owned a car here and find it is the way to go for us. With only a block or two walk to the bus, why drive yourself??

Reviewed 17 April 2013

I normally don't review hotels online; instead I just vote with my feet and return or avoid, based on my experience. I also would never rate anything if the owner solicited a good review. Reviews should be earned and deserved, good or bad. That being said, I felt that this small hotel was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. I recently retired from a profession that required me to travel a lot and I have stayed at over 150 hotels in the last 10 years.

There was no TV, no swimming pool or hot tub, no A/C, or room service. There was good WIFI, a clean and comfortable bed, plenty of hot water, free bottled water and within walking distance to all the places I wanted to visit or the buses to get there. I got my room cleaned every day (normally hotels only clean once a week if you stay 2 weeks, like I did) I was able to relax, avoid my phone, and sleep late everyday and do what I came to do- RELAX and look at the possibility of retiring to the area. The owners were very attentive and the room was very quiet, even though life in Chapala doesn't sleep. The area was very safe, (police department across the street) and in the heart of Lake Chapala. It was a very comfortable room and I did not miss TV or A/C.

I made my reservation a month in advance, but the price went down afterwards and my price was lowered without having to ask. This is a very good price for a very nice place to stay. I needed a refrigerator to keep my insulin cold and they put a small unit in my room. The kitchen is well stocked, but the prices to eat out were so cheap, that I didn't use it much. Murray was also able to refer me to someone to take me to the airport when I left, that was cheaper than the taxi from the airport when I arrived. (350 pesos)

I would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: I would pick #2 if you want the quietest section of the hotel.
1  Thank Phillip O
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Thanks for a great review Phillip, it was a joy to have you as a guest, please come back any time.

I am glad your stay here helped with your decision about retiring in the area., we find a lot of our customers are here for the same reason - to research and access the area as a possible retirement destination - Our little hotel is a good match for people in your position, with the hotel's central location there is no need for a car, and people can get to know if the area is right for their retirement goals. Some guests work with local real estate agents, some simply get a feel for the area on their own. With having the full kitchen in the hotel guests can stay for long term, check out lots of the local restaurants and still have the ability to make home cooked meals when they want to.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Yes there are still well kept secrets; this little hotel is one of them. What a nice surprise to find so much comfort when away from home for months. Clean, Clean, Clean that is the first comment I would like to make.The rooms are comfortable with very large showers and decorated in beautiful Mexican tiles.

Location is wonderful within blocks of everything you could ever need. The local markets, buses, the boardwalk along the lake, this location has it all.

The common kitchen is a great place to meet other guests in the hotel. Share travel stories while dinning on the roof top. Watch the sun rise and set from the roof top one of the best vantage points in the city. Woman travelers can feel safe at this location the streets are lit up around the hotel all night long.

You will not want for anything your hosts are absolutely accommodating to their guests needs.

Thank you Lynne and Murray for a memorable 3 month stay, see you next year.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2013

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at El Pequeno Hotel. I agree, the easy walk to just about everything is one of the best things about our little hotel. The kitchen you used so often no longer gives off the great smells from your cooking, but I sure they will be back next year as you will also. Thanks - Lynne and Murray

Reviewed 21 March 2013

We spent a week at the El Pequeno Hotel and really enjoyed our stay. The hosts were very helpful and friendly, even helping us lug some of our luggage around. The location was central and easy walking distance from the malecon, restaurants, shopping and the tennis courts at the park.. And the bed was very comfortable. It was convenient to have use of a fridge and stove and to enjoy an early morning coffee up on the mirador.
Our bicycles were stored in a secure and convenient garage.
We have already recommended this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for a great review, it was a pleasure to have you here with us.
As some of our other previous guests have discovered here at the hotel, the storing of your bicycles in the garage next to your room works out very well and is very secure. Thanks for the review and recommending us to your friends. Lynne and Murray

Reviewed 13 March 2013

I have now occupied each of the 4 rooms in El Pequeno Hotel and find it hard to say which room I loved the best...Each room is uniquely decorated in bright Mexican colors...The beds are so warm and inviting and comfortable...I love to cook and the shared kitchenette was a joy to prepare meals in...To look out over Lago de Chapala, from the rooftop mirador while eating my prepared meal was heaven...This little jewel will soon get recognized as an outstanding Hotel so book early for your little slice of Paradise....

Room Tip: All of the rooms are decorated in right beautiful Mexican colors...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2013

Thanks for the nice review.
Our shared kitchen offers not only the chance to create your own favorites while away from home, or cater to specific dietary needs but also many of our guests tell us stories of how friendships started in the kitchen over meal preparation.
The rooftop mirador offers a great view over the city and lake that you can appreciate while enjoying your meals, whether it is a sunrise or a sunset. You can get take out meals from the many restaurants located just a short walk away or prepare your own right here.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chapala
Hotel Villa San Francisco
Hotel Danza Del Sol
Hotel Danza Del Sol
#2 of 7 in Ajijic
Hotel Hacienda del Sol

Been to El Pequeno Suites? Share your experiences!