“Great people, Great place”
Review of El Pequeno Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chapala
El Pequeno Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chapala
Rawdon, Canada
“Great people, Great place”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

André G. Garneau
Rawdon (Québec) Canada

I normally don’t rate hotels online but the owners, Lynn and Murray, were such great hosts always willing to do their utmost to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as can be that I just had to write something.

It is kind of difficult not to repeat what others have already said about the hotel but when something is very good, it is simply very good and you can’t help yourself talking about it.

Located only a short walk away from the Lake and the main street merchants this quaint little hotel is perfect either for a few nights or for a longer stay. I myself have stayed there for a full month while on a trip to find a rental property for the coming winter. Since I no longer can stand our miserable winters I have been thinking about expatriating myself for those cold months for quite some time but I needed a reasonably dry climate without the extreme temperatures. Although I booked and paid for my room months ahead Lynn and Murray, in order to stay on track with the local market and exchange rates, had to lower their rates and I was pleasantly greeted with a refund in cash once I arrived. You don’t see that every day.

On one of her trips to the Lac Chapala Society (LCS), in Ajijic, Lynn invited me to tag along and we left a little earlier because she wanted to take the time to show me different places and shops in the area. En route, with the local bus (at a cost of +/- 0,65$), she pointed out many points of interest as well as good, and not so good, shops in the neighbouring villages. Needless to say all of that information was most helpful and welcomed. Considering the nature of my trip I was introduced to a very fine gentleman, Anthony, who performed as my translator, chauffeur and many other tasks while I was organizing everything for next fall and all at a very reasonable price.

I could go on and on with examples like this because that is the type of individuals Lynn and Murray are. As for the hotel well everything that has been said in the previous comments is true. I have been traveling for over 30 years and have stayed in a multitude of Hotels, Inns and/or B & B’s, ranging from 2 to 5 stars, and let me assure you that the cleanliness of the El Pequeno Hotel is by far exemplary. The months of February to May are, I was told, the hottest months of the year and my only slightly negative comment is that my room was a little too warm at night. Not all rooms are that way since the room I had was facing the sun for the greater part of the day, from about 11h00 to 20h00 (when the sun was setting behind the trees), and that the windows are strictly on that same wall therefore lacking a good draft. But that did not stop me from sleeping well at night. The hotel was completely remodeled and a great attention to details was definitely given in the planning stages. Be it for the original decoration of each single room, the fountain in the lobby of the main floor or the painting of the outside walls, to mention only those, everything was done with professionalism and stunning details.

It is obvious that I do, and will, recommend this hotel for any length of stay in the Lake Chapala area and that I will return should I need to stay in a hotel again. I wish Lynn and Murray the utmost success and I’m looking forward to seeing them again next fall.

André G. Garneau
Rawdon (Québec) Canada

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

2 Thank ElAndre59
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thanks for visiting and getting to know one another. We are glad you felt it was a very convenient location here and it was a pleasure to have you tag along on the occasional trip around the area. Looking forward to seeing you again when you are back in Chapala.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Sometimes it's the little things that count such as constant hot water at a great pressure,
thick toilet rolls, soap in both the shower and sink, bottled drinking water in the foyer etc.
I could go on. Yes, the comfortable beds, location, cleanliness, the hospitality of Murray
and Lynn were important too but the personal touches, the well selected tile work and the wonderful roof garden with flower pots and 360 degree views just add to a positive
experience. Thank you both for helping our holiday to be so special.
Enid and Ray

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Thank you very much for a great review, we enjoyed meeting and getting to know the two of you.

We definitely try to make the small things count in our hotel, so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Markerville, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Having travelled alot on business I look for something different then the main stream hotels for vacation. Having found this place on the internet it more then met my expectations. Murray and Lynn were very helpful with information about the Chapala area and directing me in the right direction for getting personalized tours etc. It was definetly a good place to base my holiday from. Staying here felt more like staying at a relatives. I have noticed that no one else has mention that the hotel is just across the street from the police station so safety was not a concern. Will I go back? You bet I will. If you are planning to go the Chapala area for the first time I would highly recommend this little hotel.
Lee

1 Thank Lee E
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Thanks for your nice review Lee,

Glad you felt so comfortable staying with us, it is nice to hear that we have created a warm and family like atmosphere for our guests to enjoy. It was nice to have you here with us and we look forward to seeing you again.
Queretaro, Mexico
Reviewed 24 April 2013

El Pequeno Hotel is a charming Mexican hotel find. It has four colorful rooms in all the warm Mexican colors. The baths are large and feature talavera tile. The beds and linens are of good quality and a plus, no earplugs are needed at this little jewel of a hotel. The owners are Canadian and very accommodating. The location is perfect with only one block to the malecon and two blocks to the main street with restaurants and shops. I highly recommend this hotel to enhance your Chapala stay.

1 Thank LaQueretana
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thanks for a lovely review, we enjoyed meeting you and hearing your travel tales.

Many of our guests comment about how convenient the location is here. We have not owned a car here and find it is the way to go for us. With only a block or two walk to the bus, why drive yourself??
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I normally don't review hotels online; instead I just vote with my feet and return or avoid, based on my experience. I also would never rate anything if the owner solicited a good review. Reviews should be earned and deserved, good or bad. That being said, I felt that this small hotel was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. I recently retired from a profession that required me to travel a lot and I have stayed at over 150 hotels in the last 10 years.

There was no TV, no swimming pool or hot tub, no A/C, or room service. There was good WIFI, a clean and comfortable bed, plenty of hot water, free bottled water and within walking distance to all the places I wanted to visit or the buses to get there. I got my room cleaned every day (normally hotels only clean once a week if you stay 2 weeks, like I did) I was able to relax, avoid my phone, and sleep late everyday and do what I came to do- RELAX and look at the possibility of retiring to the area. The owners were very attentive and the room was very quiet, even though life in Chapala doesn't sleep. The area was very safe, (police department across the street) and in the heart of Lake Chapala. It was a very comfortable room and I did not miss TV or A/C.

I made my reservation a month in advance, but the price went down afterwards and my price was lowered without having to ask. This is a very good price for a very nice place to stay. I needed a refrigerator to keep my insulin cold and they put a small unit in my room. The kitchen is well stocked, but the prices to eat out were so cheap, that I didn't use it much. Murray was also able to refer me to someone to take me to the airport when I left, that was cheaper than the taxi from the airport when I arrived. (350 pesos)

I would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: I would pick #2 if you want the quietest section of the hotel.
1 Thank Phillip O
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Thanks for a great review Phillip, it was a joy to have you as a guest, please come back any time.

I am glad your stay here helped with your decision about retiring in the area., we find a lot of our customers are here for the same reason - to research and access the area as a possible retirement destination - Our little hotel is a good match for people in your position, with the hotel's central location there is no need for a car, and people can get to know if the area is right for their retirement goals. Some guests work with local real estate agents, some simply get a feel for the area on their own. With having the full kitchen in the hotel guests can stay for long term, check out lots of the local restaurants and still have the ability to make home cooked meals when they want to.
Ladysmith, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Yes there are still well kept secrets; this little hotel is one of them. What a nice surprise to find so much comfort when away from home for months. Clean, Clean, Clean that is the first comment I would like to make.The rooms are comfortable with very large showers and decorated in beautiful Mexican tiles.

Location is wonderful within blocks of everything you could ever need. The local markets, buses, the boardwalk along the lake, this location has it all.

The common kitchen is a great place to meet other guests in the hotel. Share travel stories while dinning on the roof top. Watch the sun rise and set from the roof top one of the best vantage points in the city. Woman travelers can feel safe at this location the streets are lit up around the hotel all night long.

You will not want for anything your hosts are absolutely accommodating to their guests needs.

Thank you Lynne and Murray for a memorable 3 month stay, see you next year.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo

murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at El Pequeno Hotel. I agree, the easy walk to just about everything is one of the best things about our little hotel. The kitchen you used so often no longer gives off the great smells from your cooking, but I sure they will be back next year as you will also. Thanks - Lynne and Murray
Cawston, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We spent a week at the El Pequeno Hotel and really enjoyed our stay. The hosts were very helpful and friendly, even helping us lug some of our luggage around. The location was central and easy walking distance from the malecon, restaurants, shopping and the tennis courts at the park.. And the bed was very comfortable. It was convenient to have use of a fridge and stove and to enjoy an early morning coffee up on the mirador.
Our bicycles were stored in a secure and convenient garage.
We have already recommended this hotel to friends.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
Thanks for a great review, it was a pleasure to have you here with us.
As some of our other previous guests have discovered here at the hotel, the storing of your bicycles in the garage next to your room works out very well and is very secure. Thanks for the review and recommending us to your friends. Lynne and Murray
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chapala
Real de Chapala
Hotel Balneario San Juan Cosala
El Chante Spa Hotel
El Chante Spa Hotel
#2 of 3 in Jocotepec

Been to El Pequeno Suites? Share your experiences!