“The best”
Review of El Pequeno Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chapala
El Pequeno Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chapala
Victoria, Canada
“The best”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

In many years of travel in Mexico, El Pequeno Hotel has been the best of all. Very clean, engaging owners, spacious rooms and a great location. I only hesitate to recommend it because it might be full when I want it on my next visit.

Room Tip: Our room on the rear of the first floor was beautifully decorated and furnished with a large showe...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Thanks for a great review Marjorie, it was nice to have you here. I especially enjoyed sitting on the mirador and listening to your travel adventures, please come back any time, I am sure there are more interesting stories to be told.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I cant praise this hotel enough, my stay was very enjoyable and I woudnt hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, and your hosts Murray & Lynne will make you feel right at home, I will be back. The location is great for access to the market and the malecon, one of the main reasons for choosing El Pequino

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
It sure was nice to have you here as a guest Don. We have discovered this year that we are providing more and more temporary accommodations for people like yourself who are looking for a place of their own for the entire season or repetitive winters. We will be happy to have you back if you ever need our services again, or the family and friends you have recommended us to.
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The room was very clean and nice. It's close to everything and safe (right kitty corner to the police station) - never felt unsafe walking all over town. The owners did an awesome job with the restoration of this building - the design is phenomenal.

I did miss having coffee when we got up - had to get dressed and go upstairs to the kitchen to get it -1 small cup at a time :-( and we did miss having a television at the end of a long day of walking all over town - minor inconveniences.

I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen V
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Glad you had a good stay with us Karen. So that everyone reading this knows - our guests are welcome to as much free coffee as they want to drink, it is just a matter of going into the kitchen and helping yourself.
We purposely did not equip the rooms with televisions because of the overwhelming amount of interesting activities for tourists to do in Chapala. We felt this was a far better way to spend your free time. Also with Wi-Fi in each room - why settle for old technology in a country that most of the television is in another language, and the quality is poor to say the best.
We watch our favorite shows every night over the internet, without disturbing any of our guests with a loud television.
Chapala, Mexico
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The hotel is a paragon of comfort and tranquility. The unparalleled ambiance is a wonderful representation of Mexico past and present -- the best from both worlds thanks to Murray's architectural and construction skills. Moreover, cleanliness and comfortable are the hallmarks of El Pequeno.

In Murray and Lynne, you couldn't find better hosts anywhere in the world. Their smiles are genuine. It soon becomes obvious they truly enjoy what they're doing, and the beneficiaries are you and I, the guests.

Lynne is bubbly and buoyant. She also possesses and encyclopedic knowledge of Lake Chapala and beyond. Anything you wish to know, just ask Lynne and the answer will soon be forthcoming.

Now, if you're looking for swimming pools, spas and Karaoke, this is not the place for you. At Hotel El Pequeno, you're left to your own devices, and your enjoyment is limited only by your own imagination. No, Murray and Lynne are not social directors; they stay out of your way, but if you need them, they'll be there at a moments notice.

In many ways, El Pequeno is like the fabled Christmas movie, Miracle on 34th Street, in which Macy's Santa (Fredrick March, I believe) advised shoppers of better deals, and of course, claimed to be the real Santa Claus. I hope to retired in Chapala, and toyed with the idea that I might like to take up permanent residence at the hotel, where long term stays are not only available, but also affordable. Lynne knew before I arrived that I was looking for a budget apartment; furthermore, they both knew that I'm facing major medical expenses. Rather than just promoting the benefits of their hotel, they actively sought out friends as well as mounted a search on their own to find digs for this old geezer. Within two days, Lynne escorted me to a vacancy just a block away, and it is from there that I write this recommendation. This sort of kindness is not often found, but to Murray and Lynne, it's routine.

In short, what makes a great hotel or hostel or B&B, is not just location and amenities, but the root of greatness is the people that own and operate them.

I give Hotel El Pequeno the highest marks. Make a reservation; you won't regret it.

Best regards,
Douglas Riggs

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thanks for a wonderful review Douglas.
We see so many people coming here with the idea of retiring in the area and they all have similar needs which we are glad to help with. Whether our customers are here for vacation or considering a move we are happy to make it easier for them, it was not that long ago that we were newcomers here and were asking all the same questions. We are glad to help with providing safe and clean accommodations whether it be for a night or monthly, as well as advise.
susigal05
Reviewed 15 October 2013

El Pequeno Hotel is our favorite place to stay when we visit Chapala. The hosts are super friendly, accomodating and helpful in every way possible.

The entire hotel is decorated with a Mexican flair and has a wonderful rustic charm. The 3rd floor mirador has a 360 view, there are plants galore, a central waterfall and the bath and bed linens are nice and comfy. A must!

The location is is good, too - you can walk most anywhere you want to go, or hop on a bus or take a taxi.

We recommend El Pequeno to one and all!

Room Tip: Our personal preference is the back room on the bottom floor :)
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
We really enjoy your visits as well, hope you keep coming back to The Little Hotel. The location is indeed one of the most convenient things about a stay with us. Thanks for a great review.
Webster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We cannot think of any way our stay at El Pequeno Hotel could have been improved. Everything about this little hotel is convenient, secure, and lovely. The location couldn't be better. Thank you Murray and Lynn! We'll be back as soon as possible.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thanks for a great review and we are looking forward to seeing you again whenever you get back in town. Glad you had a good vacation here with us.
Stockton, California
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I choose this hotel because of trip advisor reviews. I was not disappointed. I stayed four days and was sad when I left. The hotel is so cute and exceptionally clean. My room was spacious, nicely decorated and comfortable. Within walking distance to the waterfront, plaza, and bus stop. Everyone was friendly and so helpful, especially Lynne. I took this trip by myself and would have been lost without her and Anthony, her recommended taxi driver. Both speak English and shared information about Lake Chapala and surrounding areas. I was surprised no TV but WiFi worked great. When I entered this hotel I felt the spirit of Mexico and its charm. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room that isn't facing the busy street.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

1 Thank sandi611
So glad you found our place convenient to so much, and that we could help make your stay more enjoyable. It was nice to have you as a guest please come back any time you can.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chapala
Real de Chapala
Hotel Balneario San Juan Cosala
El Chante Spa Hotel
El Chante Spa Hotel
#2 of 3 in Jocotepec

Been to El Pequeno Suites? Share your experiences!