“ABSOLUTELY LOVELY !!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lake Chapala Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chapala
Lake Chapala Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Chapala B&B and Inns
Pt. Loma
“ABSOLUTELY LOVELY !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2010

Came to Chapala for the Feria Maestros del Arte. My Ma and her business partner picked the Inn online. The pictures don't do it justice! We were in awe sitting on the veranda right on the lake. The view was delicious! I LOVED the pool! Alicia's sister, her husband and their son were the most wonderful and accomodating hosts (Alicia was recovering from knee surgery and was so sweet). What a loving family. It was sheer providence that I went on this trip and I couldn't be a luckier person! Were there for the quiet nights and the more active ones. This place is ALIVE!!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank MyNameIsGirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Southern Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2008

It was the last night of our vacation and we were flying out of Guadalajara early in the morning on Monday. We decided to try Lake Chapalla as we were worried about morning traffic coming from downtown Guadalajara. We arrived in Chapalla and the town was hopping! there were thousands of people on the boardwalk and they were enjoying the lovely sunday afternoon - Most were Guadalajara locals. Many vendors were open on the beach, no bargaining here!!! My husband left us shopping for last minute souveniers and walked the town looking for accomodations. He found lots of not so great hotels - and then walked down the new walkway and saw the Lake Chapalla Inn, with a ringer so he rang. Alicia came to the gate and with impecable english they determined a price - cut rate as we were only staying until 5 a.m. and I am sure she weighed not renting the room at all or giving us a deal, it was 5 p.m. after all, and we weren't staying for breakfast. Her hotel was beautiful, lovely artwork, great lap pool, super soft beds! unique to all of the hotels we stayed at in central mexico. She has a locked compound for her guests cars - bonus. I didn't find the vendors at the beach to be really friendly, I thought perhaps they felt we belonged in Ajijic, an American settlement up the beach 3 or 4 miles? or it was late afternoon and they were cranky from the long day? At any rate, the next time we are in Guadalajara we will plan on on extended visit with Alicia.

• Liked — The Hostess, the grand home,
  • Disliked — we couldn't stay for breakfast!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank Vaca_Madre
Windsor,Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2008

I highly recommend this property. The keepers are very friendly, helpful and informative. The full cooked breakfasts of fruits, hot cereal, bacon & eggs, breads and fresh squeezed juices were plentiful and delicious. Plenty of bottled water is available at all times, a car for rent is offered by the owner, and airport transportation can be provided at a fair rate.
This quaint Inn has 4 very comfortable rooms, 2 of which overlook the new waterfront sidewalk and beach which was just completed and opened the week we arrived. The lake is beautiful and mountain views breathtaking. Weekends can be quite busy along this waterfront, with families at the beach, laughter and music into the late evening. So if you are looking for something quiet I advise you to request a rear room or visit during the week. My final word of advice: slip on your flip flops, slather on the sunscreen and enjoy the magic of Mexico.

• Liked — comfortable
  • Disliked — many stairs
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cold_snow_a_no_no
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2008

After reading a couple of reviews it's hard to believe we are talking about the same lake and same inn. I found the Lake Chapala Inn very lovely and the inn keeper an interesting woman that had traveled throughout the world. The staff were very accommodating from my pick up at the airport to the delicious gourmet breakfasts served daily. I found myself spending well over an hour each morning enjoying breakfast and visiting with other guests at the inn.

The lake was in very good condition. Each morning crews would rake and remove any items that had washed up on the beach. Many people walked and jogged along the beach and I was quite impressed with the cleanliness of the whole area.

I arrived on a Monday and there were men working on the malacon. New tiles were being set, lights adjusted, and large pots of beautiful flowers were spaced along this expansive walkway. By Friday all the work had been completed including repainting the walls of the businesses.

Weather was perfect...50 to 80 degrees. I also saw a total lunar eclipse during my stay. My experience in Chapala was excellent
and I would recommend the Lake Chapala Inn to family and friends.
L. Tyler,
Texas

• Liked — location and staff
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Texaswanderer48
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2007

I have just returned from a short stay at Lake Chapala Inn and feel impelled to challenge some of the statements made in the other review. (2006)
The Inn has beautiful views of Lake Chapala; anyone who has done any reading about the area should know that the lake has changed since it was the prime resort of upper-class Mexicans a century ago. Attempts are being made to reverse its fortunes, but they are on-going. It is not swimmable, but the beach can certainly be walked along, and the fishing boats and the water lillies are quite picturesque. Chapala itself is, by no stretch of the imagination, a lovely Mexican town with attractive colonial architecture. Again, reading any guide book would tell the well-prepared visitor that.
Between the Inn and the main street there is a large private home next door (until recently, owned by the lawyer Elizabeth Taylor was going to marry some years ago) and a couple of restaurants. Yes, they play loud music on weekends .... this is Mexico, and Chapala is an easily reached "playground" for people from Guadalajara. The covered food stalls on the beach close early and are left tidied up.
The Inn has a lap pool - you don't swim in a lap pool, you do laps!
Guests have the use of a beautiful lounge and a music room/library downstairs, as well as an airy second floor terrace.
The trip from Chapala to the Guadalajara Airport takes about 45 minutes; $30 is not an outrageous amount to be charged for that. About the phone bill, I can only say that the charges are listed in the rooms. Of course, there should be a bill of some kind, but checking in any of the "larga distancia" stores would give an idea of how much a 9 minute call to California might cost. I do know that international calls from Mexico are not cheap.
Alicia McNiff is a gracious hostess, and her staff are pleasant and accommodating.
In conclusion, I would definitely stay at the Lake Chapala Inn again (as would others; one of the guests who was there when I was, was on her 6th visit!). I would, however, plan to take trips to the hinterland, and avoid the town of Chapala.

• Liked — Friendly ambiance and relaxing on the 2nd floor terrqce
  • Disliked — The town it is in
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
9 Thank CambriaToronto
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2006

My husband and I were first-time visitors (from California) and we stayed at the
Lake Chapala Inn. We based our decision on their website.
The Inn and surrounding area is no longer as pictured on the website.
The sandy area in front of the Inn is dirty, the Lake is polluted and very shallow, and the area next
door to the Inn has unsightly old vendor stands that have collasped and are filled
with trash.
There is a restaurant/disco that blares terrible music every day and late into the evening on the weekends. This disco is located 2 buildings away from the Inn.
The Inn itself is quite beautiful inside, but not as stated on their website.
Austin McNiff, stated as the host, sadly passed away five (5) years ago.
His wife, Alicia, runs the Inn.
I want travelers to know that the full breakfast at the Inn every morning was superb!
The lap pool is small and unswimmable.
The taxi cost $30.00 US dollars from the Inn to the Guatalahara Airport.
The high cost was certainly partially due to having to leave the Inn at 4:30 a.m.
Alicia McNiff charged us $18.00 US for using the room phone to call California
for just nine (9) minutes. We never saw a bill.
My husband and I are very good travelers, and we do not expect anything close
to perfection anywhere we travel. But the problems we have stated are too
glaring to ignore, and we feel it is necessary to warn unsuspecting travelers.

• Stayed June 2006
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chapala
Real de Chapala
#6 of 9 in Chapala
Casa Tres Leones
Casa Tres Leones
#2 of 25 in Ajijic

Been to Lake Chapala Inn? Share your experiences!