“Staff made up for hotel's downfalls.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel

Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Willerby
“Staff made up for hotel's downfalls.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

I stayed in the mercure grange park hotel from the 6th to the 12th of September. Upon arrival lobby looked clean and modern and resteraunt looked tidy and clean.

The rooms were somewhat of a disappointment as they were quite dated and nothing close to being modern. The tv had the lack of a HDMI input and the shower did not work right. The mirror in one of my colleagues rooms was absolutely boiling, we were unsure wether there was an electrical fault behind the mirror causing this.

The staff were very friendly, a young female named Lauren stood out above them all, she was the highlight of my week there. After working all day it was great to see her in the bar, remembering your order so you wouldnt have to ask again, coming over and seeing if you were ok and needed anything, she was a really friendly girl who held up a good conversation, she is the star of the hotel and they should be honoured to have such a star working for them.

Other than the niggles of the hotel, Lauren made up for it and so did the beds which were so comfy!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Glyn J, General Manager at Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments.

We appreciate you staying with us and for taking the time to write.

Your concern regarding your colleague’s mirror will be due to the demisting pad that is on the back of it. We have regular electrical inspections as the health and safety of our guests is our number one priority.

Lauren is indeed a star and we are so pleased to have her in our team. She will be made up by your recognition of her efforts.

We hope you will return soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Turkish first
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stay at this hotel whenever we're visiting my 97 year old aunt who lives in a nursing home nearby.
The hotel is clean and welcoming. The reception, bar and restaurant are all modern and bright and the staff all very pleasant and helpful. My only criticism of the bar is their insistence of having the air conditioning blasting out even on cooler days and it's hard to find a table away from the icy blasts. However, a polite request to the bar staff usually results in it being turned down a little.
The menu choices are good and the food we have had has all been excellent.
The rooms are very comfortable and clean. However, the pillows are so soft that, despite having two pillows, my head sinks in so low that it feels like there are no pillows at all. I even resorted to taking my own pillows with me on our last visit.
If you have lots of things you want to plug in, forget it. With only one spare plug socket when the TV is on it is impossible to use the kettle, hairdryer and charge a phone or use a laptop at the same time. A definite area for improvement, but really only a minor hitch.
The heating in the room is easily controlled and very efficient.
The bathroom is clean and comes with a shower over the bath. The shower controls can be a bit temperamental and the water pressure is not great, but I've had worse. Shampoo/conditioner and bath gel are supplied, but no other toiletries.
On the whole it's a lovely hotel and we have no hesitation in re-booking every time we visit my aunt.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guests,

Thank you for staying with us and providing such a comprehensive review.

The comments you make about the hotel and team are truly appreciated.

The air conditioning is certainly not doing its job properly if you are being blasted by it and we will look into managing it better going forwards.

I am pleased to tell you that we are soon to replace all the pillows in the hotel with new ones which we hope will meet with your approval on a future visit.

Best wishes,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed 1 night at this hotel and it was very nice. Room basic but very clean. Helen on reception was very helpfull and the jym n pool was fantastic. Drinks a bit expensive nice relaxing lounge area to get my work done. I eat in the restuarant and the food was fantastic. The young lady Rachael was very helpful and always smiling and a young lad forgot his name. Although 1 girl Ann Mary was very rude n slammed my dessert on table and didn't even look at me when I settled my bill. But all in all a good stay

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank 30baby
Dear Guest,

Thank you for a great review of your stay.

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the facilities and in the main received good service.

Your comments help us to address any issues, so thanks again.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Farnborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed at is hotel on 7 September, it looks great from the outside but the rooms are a little dated as is the decor in the lounge area to the right of reception desk. I tried to use the lift to go up to my room but after waiting about 5 mins gave up and was halfway up the stairs when it finally opened. I didn't bother to go back own obviously, I was concerned how long it would take to get me there. Reception staff were very helpful and friendly. We ordered 4 coffees from the bar - and despite there being no other customers around at all it took half an hour for them to be delivered..... One cup at a time. Breakfast was very good with all he things you would expect from a chain hotel and was freshly cooked, with serving dishes being constantly replaced with freshly cooked food. The fried bread was wonderful and the bacon had lots of different levels of cooking some barely cooked and some almost crispy so that you could find the style you liked with ease. Our room was dark as it had a very large fir tree outside the window obscuring the evening sun. it could have been a yew not sure. Not long after our arrival a coach party arrived and then a large multicultural wedding party. Our evening was spoiled however by our inconsiderate nosy neighbours who insisted on coming out of their room ever time someone passed by or opened their own door. They then allowed the floor to bang closed behind them this carried on for nearly 2 hours. When we left our room they were immediately there seeing who it was. We felt like we were in a goldfish bowl.

Room Tip: Rooms seem to either a double bed or 2 singles. I couldn't find any upgrade options when booking...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Glenda,

Thank you for highlighting so many constructive comments from your visit.

Whilst it was pleasing to hear that you received good service from reception We are sorry that this did not apply in our lounge service.

We value this feedback as we are able to revisit and make improvements to the goods and services that we offer our guests through our regular operations meetings.

Apologies for the inconsiderate neighbours that you encountered, fortunately that are generally in the minority.

We hope you will visit again and see the more peaceful side of Grange Park.

Best regards,
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

When travelling to Hull for business I generally stay in a Premiere Inn so I don't expect much. A basic room, warm water, lights and Internet.
Despite advertising wi-fi, internet access from the room was unusable. It very much reminded me of dial-up days with web pages appearing line by line. Half of the lights in the room didn't work which wasn't helpful when working on documents and then in the morning I had to have a cold shower because despite it being before 7am there was no hot water!!
At double the cost of a Premiere Inn I was expected a nice breakfast. No chance. Very poor quality meats and scrambled egg that was swimming in some form of liquid. Never again thanks.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Barry W
Dear Barry,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.

We are sorry that you felt the internet was so slow during your stay but unfortunately there was an issue with our server which has now been replaced.

We normally pride ourselves on the breakfast we offer and I only hope you asked the team to provide you with fresh items as they would do without question.

Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Willerby hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

I have been visiting this hotel for the past 15 years spasmodically for the caravan show which is on during the first week of September annually .i stayed on Monday evening with my brother and friend .i booked 3 double rooms and I was really embarrassed because the hotel has gone to the wall !! Eighty odd pounds for B &B but this place seriously needs a refirb !! First impressions when you are at the hotel bar thinks that it's either just had all its stock stolen or the company is having a closing down sale!!
We were given rooms 223,224, 225 .upon entry they smelt strongly of smoke..so much that my Bro changed rooms straight away!!They gave him a much nicer room on the first floor why didn't they do this at first????my self and friend basically couldn't be bothered to change rooms as we were only there for one niight and we were probably not going to be seeing too much of our rooms anyway!!
The bar was under stocked .i felt so sorry for the young staff working behind the bar .we sent beer back as the pipes hadn't been cleaned properly with water in the beer!! Even the guy in charge of the bar tasted it and agreed !! There was hardly any choice of drinks ..the best was the great big promotion all over the back display of the bar for Pimms .When I Tongue in cheek asked for a Pimms which was my third attempt for a drink I was told thy didn't have any !! Well why do a big promo then??
The only good thing was that breakfast was ok ... Mercury will not be getting any of my custom again ... There are some hotels on this site that get a grilling when sometimes they don't deserve it!! Well this one needs either knocking down or revamping!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Knappster_13
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are sorry that your stay was a disappointment and that your room was not to your liking.
Unfortunately been so busy at the time of your stay it would have been difficult to move your rooms. The hotel operates a no smoking policy but had previous guests ignored this then housekeeping would have refreshed the room.

Concerning the bar stocks following a particularly busy weekend we were awaiting stocks at the time of your visit as there normally is wide choice.

We sincerely hope you will consider your decision and stay again, at which time we will build on your breakfast experience to restore your opinion.

Thanks again for your valued comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willerby
BEST WESTERN Willerby Manor Hotel
#1 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Holiday Inn Hull Marina
#4 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull

Been to Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel? Share your experiences!