“Positives outweigh the negatives”

Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Willerby
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed here last week........
POSITIVES...Reasonable sized room which was clean,and had a comfortable bed.Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and was always checked to see if anything needed replenishing.
Staff helpful and friendly.Ideal location to access motorways etc.Nice grounds.Pool/gym although we did not use these facilities looked nice.
NEGATIVES...HOUSEKEEPING needs to be more attentive.A few cobwebs around room and badly marked mirror.LIFT could be cleaned better.Access stairwells although painted were full of cobwebs,dust,dead insects.ROOM very hot..needs fans or aircon.Did not make for a comfortable sleep.BIGGEST COMPLAINT ..why on earth does the bed have a quilt that is adequate for the middle of a Siberian winter!!
However the negatives didn't spoil our short stay.All in all a pleasant trip.
Complaints regarding tired furniture and bathroom I think are over the top.Think there is a refurbish on the cards,so this should make the hotel a good choice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter N, General Manager at Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear bedouin2,

Thank you for taking the time to review to review the Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel on Trip Advisor. We found your review really constructive and are really grateful of the feedback.

We are in the process of decorating bedrooms as we speak, and have made improvements to our public areas and meeting rooms, to which we look forward to you seeing when you next return.

Many thanks for your feedback,

There are newer reviews for Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Should be at least 4*, very nice staff, fantastic room, facilities etc. Food ace, we had dinner and breakfast. Will be back for more, especially the swimming pool! Plenty of parking space, nice quiet location.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear gucci_t,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on Trip Advisor following your stay at the Hotel, we are really pleased you enjoyed your stay.

I have passed your comments onto our team, who will be equally delighted with your feedback.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here for one night on 14th July 2014. The room looked very nice. It was up in the eaves so, given the humid weather at that time, was extremely hot and stuffy. There was no air con so it would have been a nice gesture to have been provided with an electric fan.

The bed was very comfortable and breakfast was pretty good too.

The big let down was the bathroom which would have been ok had it been cleaner. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't filthy but other peoples' body hair can be so off-putting. I wished I'd taken slippers with ,me to save collecting strangers' pubic hairs on my damp feet.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PrincessFruitBat
Peter N, General Manager at Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear PrincessFruitBat,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel. I believe I have replied to you separately via our in house guest satisfaction tool.

Again I would like to apologise for the issues with cleanliness that you discovered, it is far from acceptable and the appropriate actions and measures are in place to avoid this from happening.

If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

Thanks

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I arrived at the hotel very jet lagged and all I wanted was to have a meal and sleep. The hotel appears to have a modern feel as you arrive. however this is a facade. The accommodation is dated and not clean, there were suspicious brown substances on the bathroom floor and the lift to the upper floors was filthy.
I ate in the restaurant and found that the it was full of noisy offensive guests from Jewsons, clearly on staff training who dominated the entire restaurant. Crude loud offensive guests were not challenged at all by the staff .The hotel staff were overwhelmed by the number of people there and the food and service were not good. My first choice of food (curry) was not available but I was told a different type of curry was, this indicates to me that this is not freshly cooked and is rather over priced for a ready meal. at the end of the meal I asked twice for my bill. 40 minutes passed and I got up and found the waitresses. They then directed me to the bar as all tickets were there. The barman asked if he could help. I asked for my bill and he then continued to do his work behind the bar, ignoring me for a good 10 minutes. Eventually the manager arrived who did not even know what I had ordered, eventually some 75 minutes after I finished my meal and being dead on my feet, I was able to sign for my meal. Im glad I was only here for a few hours

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank gazzao
Peter N, General Manager at Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear gazzao,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on Trip Advisor following your recent stay.

I am really disappointed with your feedback, we are a much stronger hotel than the one you describe, so please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in service you received.

I would be grateful if you can spare the time to contact me directly (gm.mercurehull@jupiterhotels.co.uk), so we can discuss this further.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed for along weekend & although the food & staff were very good, the rooms & hotel itself were tired & needed updating. Our room had mould on the walls, wallpaper peeling off. The reception area had a champagne bucket catching drips near the main door after a stormy night. Not sure if we will visit again; what a shame after such good reviews.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Claire S

Dear Claire S,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel. We treat all feedback as invaluable and thank you for your comments.

We review all Trip Advisor comments on a weekly basis at our Management Meetings, to which will review this and make plans to improve our quality.

Many thanks for bringing these issues to my attention.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 13 July 2014

With living local to this venue staying there is not usually an option, but as we were partaking in a wedding for the weekend why not push the boat out. We stayed two nights in this place in a suite, it was very large and spacious with a separate bedroom and very tidy. The beds and pillows were very comfy and like most reviews I like to focus on a good nights sleep I feel this is important to all.
As the economy is recovering I would like to think that Mercure will invest in this venue as certain aspect of it are getting tired and could do with a re vamp especially as the kudos of this venue used to be THE PLACE TO BE SEEN AT. I think it can regain this status with investment in new carpets and the loss of dark wood doors etc through out.
As a wedding venue they do it brilliant. The day went like a dream for the bride and groom and I would like to think all the guests. Well done to the Mercure and your staff who where brilliant, a credit to your company,

Top tip going to a wedding there stay over room only and as part of the bridal group enjoy a breakfast courtesy of the hotel.

Thanks again for a great week end

Room Tip: Over looking the garden is nice
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Peter N, General Manager at Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear uktravellerYorkshire,

Thank you for the time to write such a fantastic review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay, we are glad you had such a great time.

We are constantly investing in our hotel, and are looking forward to the redecoration of over 50 bedrooms in August.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team, as they will be equally delighted with your feedback.

Once again many thanks, and we hope to see you again soon,

Kind Regards

Reviewed 11 July 2014

The bedroom is fine, and good quality (bed was very comfortable). There are very few electrical sockets which meant that the TV had to be disconnected to get two items plugged in. The shower was hard to operate, and was only warm in the afternoon. There is staining on the tiles above the shower - which I assume is from a previous leak / water damage.

Fire alarm went off at 01:00 and the hotel had to be evacuated. I know safety is utmost important, but it went off again at 04:00. From other customers, heard that the alarm went off earlier in the afternoon, and this should of been sorted out.

The breakfast, I went down, and poured out some cereal, and found a spider crawling in it, whilst I was pouring milk...and drowning it. The rest of the breakfast is fine, with bread/ toast / croissants /cereal / melon. The cooked breakfast had fried / scrambled eggs, along with the usual items.

The staff were nice, but never got a response about the breakfast, and some useful tips we discovered whilst evacuating the hotel at night. (for example - working lights outside on the steps.)

I know the problems I had to endure is "not normal" - but had to be said. I would assume that the hotel would be good as a 4 (good 3 star) hotel if it was a normal night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mfield999

Dear mfield999,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a balanced review following your recent stay at the Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel.

Thank you for taking the approach that what you endured was certainly not normal, however it is unacceptable that you never had a response regarding breakfast. I will bring this up with my operational team today.

Once again many thanks for your review, and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Hull Grange Park again soon.

Yours,

Peter Nye

Also consider these accommodations in or near Willerby
Best Western Willerby Manor Hotel
#3 of 20 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Holiday Inn Hull Marina
#4 of 20 in Kingston-upon-Hull

Been to Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel? Share your experiences!