“A Grand Week in Hull”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Willerby
Camberley, United Kingdom
“A Grand Week in Hull”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have stayed at this hotel a number of times over the years - the last time was too long ago (when it belonged to a rival chain). Our room was on the ground floor at the back, facing east. We had a room in the corner so double aspect windows looking out onto a treeline road, plus nice shade (the whole week we were there we didnt see a cloud!). This meant that even tho it was hot the room was always nice and cool. Very clean, well maintained, no problems for the short visit (Monday to Friday). Staff very friendly, both in the hotel and in the spa. We made use of the pool which was never very busy. Made use of the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi too. Couldnt bring ourselves to use the Gym - it was enough to watch others!
From our perspective, its very well placed, positioned as it is on a parallel road to the main road, which gives easy access to Hull, Lincolnshire (via The Humber Bridge) and all points North. Their is also a reasonable selection of shops in the strip mall within walking distance (5 minutes), plus a garage.
The only meal we ate in was breakfast which was good as expected. The only reason I didnt rate it as excellent was a lack of Gluten free subsititutes for things like sausages at the breakfast buffet(I am a Coeliac). But honestly this hotel is not alone (as I have found). I will stay again.. its a favourite for trips to see family. Maybe they will have some GF breakfast options next time?

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter and cooler.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TheDirger
Peter N, General Manager at Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear TheDirger,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Hull Grange Park, we are all really pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much.

When you are next staying with us please let us know about your breakfast requirements and we will be more than happy to ensure there is Gluten Free options.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon,

Thanks

Peter Nye

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Turkish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed for 3 nights, exploring East Yorkshire and York. Our first impressions of the hotel were very favourable, with reception staff generally being very friendly and helpful. The room was well equipped and very large, with the living space being big enough for a full size snooker table! Breakfast was good and included as part of the package, which meant overall the hotel was very good value for money.We did also use the leisure facilities on site on one day. Based on this experience we would happily recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Graham C
Dear Graham C,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, it will serve as a great motivator for our team.

We are glad that you enjoyed the size of the room (We are guessing you stayed in one of our newly redecorated Privilege Rooms).

Once again many thanks

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at the Mecure for two nights while in Hull on business, first impressions were good and the staff were really helpful and friendly when I checked in. The room was very clean and well equipped. however there were a few minor problems over the two days,1) I arrived on one of the hottest days of the year, however the window in my room was shut and the radiator was on! Even after switching the radiator off and having the window open all night the room was still unbearably hot (no air con in the room). 2) the price of the food served in both the bar area and the dining room was stupidly expensive for the quality of the food, I am used to hotels charging more than the going going rate, but this was on the silly side. 3) On my last day, the Window Cleaner decided to clean my windows at 7.30am, not only that but because I was on the first floor, he decided to stand on the flat roof right outside my window and have a loud discussion with his mate. In summary a good hotel with clean rooms, great reception staff, but I would recommend eating out and not having a room on the first floor

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Woodsia66
Dear Woodsia66,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor, which as a management team we have now reviewed, and are really grateful of your constructive feedback, to which will will work on.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel again soon,

Thanks

Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Went to meet my brother who stays there every week for a meal , on first impressions the hotel looks lovely , reception staff very welcoming , had a drink at the bar , then it went down hill rapidly , went in to the dining room and the service was a let down .
It was not busy so I cant even use that as reason, only a could not care less attitude .
My husband who does not drink and drive ordered a jug of water at the start of the meal he asked again 4 times before it came , this was now with the dessert !!!. my brother never got his desert he'd forgotten it so the waiter almost threw the Eton mess on the table without it being served on a plate just in a bowl, grumbling under his breath all the time and then threw a napkin next to it .
The food was actually nice but i would never go back, and as my brother paid , I hope he had the service charge remove it did not deserve one .
Im sure this is not the kind of reviews that you want and it's not the kind I ever write but it spoilt a lovely family reunion .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank nicole B
Peter N, General Manager at Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear nbentleyDriffield,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Hull Grange Park on Trip Advisor.

I was most disappointed with your feedback, as you will see from our other reviews our staff are always praised a real positive to our business, therefore I am shocked with your feedback (awful).

I will be discussing this with Mark our Food & Beverage Manager, however if you wish to contact me directly to discuss this please feel free.

Peter Nye

Travellers are raving about these Willerby hotels

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Pleased to have found this hotel on spec and we were very happy with the room - clean, comfortable, well-appointed and quiet. Two things that must be addressed. (1) on check-in, I had a debit card swiped but I wasn't asked for authorization which meant that every time I used it for extras in the hotel, there was a major problem with payment and basically I wasn't able to run a tab. This continued throughout the overnight stay and I found it very irritating as I was tired and didn't need this hassle. Eventually, after no-one being able to tell me why I couldn't run a tab, it was explained that I hadn't given authorization and here's the infuriating bit - I know I wasn't asked for authorization as I would have given it but the receptionist on duty when I checked in outfaced me that she had asked for it and I had declined. I don't expect to be in a confrontational situation with a member of staff when I am staying at an hotel. I was very annoyed as the receptionist refused to admit that she had forgotten to ask me and there was no re-dress. (2) my husband was served a plate of burnt chips at dinner time - they were actually black and served up to him as if there was nothing wrong. When he complained, there was a look of surpise - they were replaced but they should never have been served to him in the first place. A nice hotel otherwise.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bellringer2014
Dear Bellringer2014,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Hull Grange Park on Trip Advisor, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall.

I will be investigating the issues that you had with Helen our Reception Manager, I would be grateful if you can contact me directly with further details.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Peter Nye
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willerby
Best Western Willerby Manor Hotel
Village Hotel Club Hull
#3 of 18 in Kingston-upon-Hull
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,028 reviews
Innkeepers Lodge Hull, Willerby

Been to Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel? Share your experiences!