“Surely Not?!”

Ranked #7 of 15 Restaurants in Willerby
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We offer a lovely pleasant cafe set in our own grounds with childrens outdoor play area. Serving breakfast, light lunches and main meals. Cakes, scones and afternoon tea are also served all day
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Surely Not?!”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

So I went to Cheval in September and quite frequently in the summer time before that, even to a birthday party there. I had afternoon tea at the birthday party and it was obvious that it was a plate of leftovers. I visited the website to see how professional the cafe was, as maybe I had just been there on a bad day. The website looks as if it's made by a child in school as under a subheading there is "text to follow" written, rather than actual text to follow.

The food is a little overpriced but I didn't mind paying because the atmosphere was absolutely lovely, and the service was great. I was a regular on my business meetings and I was always served by a young girl, black hair who always maintained a professional image. As I was a regular her professionalism was shown with friendliness also and it made the visits worthwhile. Over the winter I saw her less and less and wondered if she'd abandoned a sinking ship of a business. Her service seemed to have been replaced by people who made countless mistakes and served me with their noses buried in their order pads.

I stopped visiting Cheval and haven't been there for several weeks due to the countless times my regular order was messed up. My final straw was when I complained to the owner of Cheval whom I believe to be called Deborah. She was rude and very obnoxious when I told her that meal had been brought to me three times and all of them had been wrong. She laughed and shook her head saying "that's what happens when you hire young staff isn't it?" I was absolutely gobsmacked and I left. When I headed for the door, I overheard Deborah saying to another member of staff "... it's not like he could afford our eggs anyway." \

Surely not?!

I vow to never return to this snobby amature eatery again.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Daniel G

Beverley England
“Lunch with colleague”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I visited the restaurant with some of my ex colleagues for a Christmas catch up.It was a cold windy day.There was a lovely log fire blazing it all looked very inviting. The food was very good I had Carbonara which was good but a small portion don't think there would have been enough for someone with a big appetite.The garlic bread though was enormous and very tasty.
The view out the window was not the best a mucky yard and some horse boxes maybe it looks better in the summer. I would go back again and give it another try

• Visited December 2013
North East England, United Kingdom
“What a difference a week makes - won't be making a return visit”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Wow - what a difference a week makes, certainly won't be going back!! Myself and two friends went for lunch. Week previously we'd had a lovely older lady serve us, polite, friendly, everything you want. Second visit, had three young people providing service. The order was simple, 2 ham and tomato pannis, one red onion and tomato panni. After about 20 mins, they brought out 3 ham and tomato pannis, so sent one back as it should have been red onion and tomato. 10 mins later, out comes another ham and tomato panni, so that one is sent back. At this point, no apology was received, only much head shaking by the young staff. Another 5 mins last, panni delivered with the comment "sorry about that, 3rd time lucky" Eh no, they'd brought cheese and tomato, so it went back yet again. At this point, no eye contact was made by the staff with us, or any apology, or even the offer of a drink. Fourth attempt, out comes a red onion, tomato and cheese so called panni. This was put on the table without even an apology. Now it may have had the right ingredients in it, but it wasn't toasted or hot, and the panni was wet. After four attempts they could not get a simple panni correct. We choose to leave at that moment, not one person had come over to apologise or offer anything else off the menu. What was even more infuriating, was the next lady who we encountered as she was walking through the restaurant. I approached her to ask if she was the manager, as we wanted to complain about the bad service we had received, she then smirked at me, and said "oh yes the panni problem, I'm just with health and safety but if you wait I'll speak to you after I've finished with him." So we hung around for 5 mins, but obviously she hadn't finished with the gentleman. I would have thought customer care and damage limitation to your reputation, might have taken priority. As for the young girl on the till, well she apologised as we were leaving and offered my friend anything off the menu to take with her, but that was a little bit too late. Damage done. Would I go back? No. I understand that this is an equestrian centre, but when you're advertising as a tea room as well, you need to get your customer care right, otherwise, you end up with bad reviews on here!!!

• Visited December 2013